Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Switching Families

How do you switch families, I know you go into edit town, but when I go to switch it says I will lose all wishes for that family. Im in a new town and have no one to be friends with so I was gonna make some but Im not sure how to without losing my original couple. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Yes, when you switch households you will lose their wishes.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    You don't have to switch households to put new families or sims into a house in town. This can look complicated but once you do it then it's fairly easy.

Adding Families or Sims to a Town (downloaded, saved, or game-generated):
    1. Save
    2. Edit Town
    3. Just Continue
    4. Show Households (filled in house icon)
    5. Ctrl+Alt+C
    6. freerealestate (enter/return key)
    7. Select family or sim
    8. Place Copy
    9. click the empty house you want to place the sim or family into
    10. or you can merge a sim into an occupied home with the same method
    11. Households retain skills but not relationships outside the home

Creating A Sim or Using a Downloaded Sim:
    When you download a sim they are placed into a pre-made section of Create-A-Sim. You need to save as a household (even if single sim) to get them to the move-in stage. Feel free to make any changes to clothing, coloring, traits, likes, and ambitions while you are in this screen. Skills and relationships will be set to zero, as will age for that stage.

This looks kind of scary.
  • Options
    Tiffany6569Tiffany6569 Posts: 18 New Member
    Thank you so much for the information, I was able to follow the steps and create households. Now that I have them can I play with them as well or will they just interact on their own and go places for my sims to meet?
  • Options
    yes to both questions.

Sims has options for the computer to control the town's story telling (makes them get jobs, meet people, live lives) or you can shut it off in degrees (free-will, aging) so that you are able to play household to household. You can use the birthday cake to age up (grocery store or party objects in buy mode).

the game is set up to play other households for you and to age up within a medium timeframe. the computer is not aggressive in playing the town, i like to think it is so that you can step in and make the relationships you want but i try to be generous.

there are people who love to micro-manage and play every sim in a town. you invest a lot of time and care with this playstyle. you are also able to make the town exactly the way you want it, from decorating to romance.
    other people (like me) don't have that type of patience and hop from house to house but let the town go organic outside that house.
    still others will devote to just one family from generation to generation and watch the town grow.

there is no right or wrong way to play but there is a learning curve and degree of adjustment to it because there are so many options. if you worry, make a few different saved games and just toggle between them so nothing is permanent.
  • Options
    Thanks again, how do you control the story telling, I went to options and didnt see it? I also get bored and like to hop to different towns and people.
  • Options
    When I try to play the other people it doesnt give me the option. Can you help me? I am thankful that you are helping me.
  • Options
    I'm not certain exactly what you mean so...I'm giving you some broad advice and directing you to some resources:

1a. in Edit Town you have the option to Change Active Household, this will allow you to play other families but it will delete the current saved wants of any sim you are playing.
    1b. when you are playing a household and click other houses or sims you have the option to interact with them yet not to control them nor make changes.
    1c. using Edit Town Mode you can reach Edit World to place lots and change the landscape.

2a. i have NRaas mods for my game which allow for much greater control in the story telling. a mod is a program that modifies the game code so you do take risks with installation. CC is another thing you will see (and sometimes gets referred to as a mod) and it means Custom Content, i remember the difference as the C stands for cosmetic and gets applied to clothing, hair, furniture, and paintings rather than how a sim will act.
    2b. Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch: these are the basics from NRaas for greater control and these will over-ride the way that EA designed the game. These are complex interactions and I am, by no means, a master of these mods (but others on here are so feel free to ask questions).

3a. Cheating in the Sims 3 isn't always cheating, it is a way to enter different command codes and edit your world.
    3b. I'm going to direct you to some tutorials that you may want to bookmark just for reference and exploration:
    Hover over the link to see the site before you click--
    Edit Town and World
    Traits will affect social interactions and wishes
    Skills will affect job performance, hobbies, who wins in a fight with a burglar, and other incidentals
    Building an attached garage to help familiarize you with some of the more common building tools with a useful end result
    Cheat Codes per Expansion Pack
    NRaas mods maker
    Mod the Sims you do have to make an account with them but it is to prevent trolls and impose quality control
    Building Tutorial List goes to the old forum. The Exchange likes to delete content so not all of the links within the posting are functional, sadly.
    Households

Carls Sims 3 Guide is a truly wonderful resource, especially if you are new to the game. There are other tutorials out there, and a vast store of minutiae knowledge (such as how to praise a child) that is most often found on the forums here (eventually :s ) so please never hesitate to ask questions. My apologies if I failed to answer what you were looking for.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I can switch families in live mode by scrolling to the household I want to play and click on the walls of their house and look for NRaas>Master Controller>Make Active and I become another family.I still lose the wishes because I don't have it set up to retain them though I don't lose the fridge leftovers and can come back to some spoiled food in the other family's fridge.I'm playing in custom worlds and they start out empty or unpopulated and I have to populate them myself and have fun building the town up and growing the population manually.Story progression allow me to decided which sims can age and which ones aren't allowed to age for the moment.I also have to play any household I want adopting pets or children or having babies and i also have to play them if I want them to move house.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you for your information and your resources that you gave me. Im gonna look into them and enjoy playing my game. I appreciate the step by step instructions it makes it much easier for me. :)