Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mourning.. the ripple effect

When a sim died in TS3, it was felt over many households. So if a grandparent died on one lot, the children and grandchildren were also sad and had a "loved one has passed" or something moodlet. If a Sim dies on one lot in TS4, will their family feel it across the whole neighbourhood?

I'm about to kill off a grandparent after that family glitch turned him from grandfather to father of his daughters son (cringe) so.. he's gotta go. But I still want him to be mourned. He's still technically the Grandfather after all.
Go Raps!
canada-flag-tiny.gif

Comments

• Options
    tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem that way. I've had Sims die of old age and the only ones who seemed to notice were the ones who were there when they died. That's just in one house, though so I don't know about a whole neighborhood. If the other family members don't seem to recognize he's dead, just have them come over to your Sims house and have them mourn the urn/gravestone of the Sim who died.
    Zwdtm8.png
  • Options
    KShannonKShannon Posts: 223 Member
    I have yet to have a sim notice a death, period.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    That's a huge miss! More emotional maybe but they are completely bloody obliviousness like no other sim generation.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I think the emotional system is good, but its definitely not 100%. I am hoping for a pack like Generations for TS4, which is what made a lot of the emotions shared by families more prevalent in TS3.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    camman1995camman1995 Posts: 900 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    That's a huge miss! More emotional maybe but they are completely bloody obliviousness like no other sim generation.

In all fairness Sims 2 and especially Sims 3 sims were practically psychic. They knew if you cheated on them not only from across the lot, but from across the entire world.

The problem of sims that didn't live with the deceased not reacting could be remedied fairly easily. Just add a "Give Bad News" interaction in the same vein as the "Share Big News" interaction that pregnant sims have.
  • Options
    camman1995 wrote: »

In all fairness Sims 2 and especially Sims 3 sims were practically psychic. They knew if you cheated on them not only from across the lot, but from across the entire world.

The problem of sims that didn't live with the deceased not reacting could be remedied fairly easily. Just add a "Give Bad News" interaction in the same vein as the "Share Big News" interaction that pregnant sims have.

Yes, but share big news is just conversational. It doesn't create an emotion. I had a sim share big news about her pregnancy to her parents and they reacted sure, but it didn't pull the father out of his bad mood. It also doesn't create memories.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I think it depends on the strength of the relationship. When Grandpa Kim died, his daughter and the grandkids (with whom he lived and had very close relationships) wept buckets and woke up in the middle of the night to mourn at his (backyard) grave. Son-in-law heaved a great sigh, but that was all.

When Grandma Lewis, who lived in another house, was close to death, her teen granddaughter (with whom she was not terribly close) got a sudden want to go see her. I didn't act on it. Next thing I knew, Grandma Lewis was dim in the relationship panel (dead). (I had aging turned on for all played houses at the time, had not yet discovered aging for Active Household Only). Anyway ... granddaughter did not get sad, but there WAS this thing about wanting to see her, kind of out of the blue. (Vivan was not the other kids' grandma).
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    My personal legacy sim founder lost her husband (to old age) and she only got a bad emotion of "lost a friend" for 4 hours and their children ( teen and child) couldn't care less. They didn't get any kind of negative mood from it. My founder continued to dance while her husband died in front of her. Once he was gone, she finally stopped dancing and cried for a minute, then went back to dancing.

After his tombstone was outside a couple days, then his son (child) kept trying to go out there to mourn. He'd get sad everytime he did. And my founder started canceling interactions (mainly cooking) to go outside to mourn him. After the fourth time canceling one meal to try to mourn him, I put his tombstone in our inventory.

I think mourning in Sims 4 is a little off. I think they need to work on it. I don't mind them autonomously trying to go mourn, but don't continuously cancel actions I set up to go mourn. But the biggest was, little (founder) to no (children) care that he passed in the first place.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member

I agree about them previously knowing right away and that was odd in itself.

The family I am currently playing is the Atwoods. Grams (the grandmother) was living with her daughter, son in law and (at the time 5) grand kids. The only one home when Grams died of old age was Rowan (her daughter) The son in law has moments of sadness and goes over to mourn, so does Rowan. The kids however seem to have no response what so ever even though the relationship was high.

It's odd.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    LPentLPent Posts: 147 Member
    The whole emotion system seems unbalanced or unfinished to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but somehow it feels broken to me.
    I had a sim who was very tired, his energy need was red and he walked around slumped. But at the same time his emotion was 'Very energized'. At some point his mother died and he got a 2 hour sad moodlet, but at the same time he was happy because ... of all the nice paintings in the room, really? The grandmother (mother of the mother) didn't get any emotion over her daughter's death. Which would only make sense if they hated each other, but they didn't (relationship maxed out).
    Births, weddings, being in love and deaths etc. should have a stronger or even overriding effect on emotions, last longer and should return a few times depending on the relationship sims have with the situation. Also, I think they should have rethought the whole Needs to fit in better with emotions. Social & Fun could have been dropped all together and tied in closely with the emotions. Energy should have been split into energy and sleep, being two different things (energy could have been moved into emotions leaving only sleep in the needs panel). But then again, I never did like the needs panel (in TS2, TS3) it also seemed arbitrary to me. Sleep should be a fixed need (6 to 10 hours a day) which should occur after a set amount of waking hours. Same applies to hunger (3 times a day, based on regularity of meals) with need for snacks in between based on weight and traits (then tie it in with tasks, e.g. designate one parent to be the cook and everyone waits for them to cook a meal instead of everyone making dinner at the same time). Right now it just messes up my family relationships having them have needs at different times as the story progresses. Bladder same thing, an average of 4 times a day, depending on intake of fluids etc. Playing a big family is just not as much fun as it could be with all that micromanagement. But I digress... my apologies.
    Yes, I noticed too that mourning is a bit 'off'.
  • Options
    faesunshinefaesunshine Posts: 29 Member
    Yeah the mourning is super problematic. I'm playing a Legacy right now and the founder's spouse died first, sending the teen heir into two full days of pitiful mourning - sobbing, wailing at the tombstone, hiding in bed to 'cry it out' constantly, etc. I thought it was a wee bit overkill since they only had a half-bar of relationship, but figured it was just the emphasis on emotions the makers have been hyping.

Until my founder died a couple weeks later. By that point she and her daughter had been on their own for a long time, their relationship was maxed, they were inseparable and best friends. But when my founder died, her daughter had literally zero reaction, despite being in the house when it happened. Not a single sad moodlet, no tears, no days of angst, not a single visit to her tombstone in the backyard next to dear old dad.

It really bothered me. I know they're just pixels, but it seemed really unfair that her dad got a mental breakdown while her devoted mother who took care of her until the day she died got zilch. :(
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    In TS3, as long as my sim knew the decsseaded a notification would pop up mentioning "Sim A has passed...etc". Can't remember if my sim mourned or not but in TS4, I had to force one of my sims and his teenage sister to cry and feel sad while they were at their parents' funeral.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Yeah the mourning is super problematic. I'm playing a Legacy right now and the founder's spouse died first, sending the teen heir into two full days of pitiful mourning - sobbing, wailing at the tombstone, hiding in bed to 'cry it out' constantly, etc. I thought it was a wee bit overkill since they only had a half-bar of relationship, but figured it was just the emphasis on emotions the makers have been hyping.<br />
    <br />
    Until my founder died a couple weeks later. By that point she and her daughter had been on their own for a long time, their relationship was maxed, they were inseparable and best friends. But when my founder died, her daughter had literally zero reaction, despite being in the house when it happened. Not a single sad moodlet, no tears, no days of angst, not a single visit to her tombstone in the backyard next to dear old dad.<br />
    <br />
    It really bothered me. I know they're just pixels, but it seemed really unfair that her dad got a mental breakdown while her devoted mother who took care of her until the day she died got zilch. :(

Yeah I had the same in my game :-(
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    KShannon wrote: »
    I have yet to have a sim notice a death, period.

Everyone notices death by woo hoo though...
  • Options
    AyriaMAyriaM Posts: 223 Member
    Hmm...I get where you're coming from, but I actually would get annoyed with my sim mourning for days..it slowed up life. Maybe that's realistic, but in sim-time it felt longer than necessary in Sims 3. I'm surprised that with the new emotion system that mourning doesn't play out better. I have other gripes, this wasn't one of them. Found this topic interesting!
  • Options
    ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member

Yes, but share big news is just conversational. It doesn't create an emotion. I had a sim share big news about her pregnancy to her parents and they reacted sure, but it didn't pull the father out of his bad mood. It also doesn't create memories.

I think 'share bad news' would be more appropriate. If someone walked up to me stating they have big new then proceeded to tell me "____" died, I would think they are a jerk lol

But I agree 100%, Sims with this level of social interaction should be far more sensitive and prone to react to deaths.
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    You know, for a game made in the pre-'emotions' era, my Sims 2 sims were my best mourners by far. I had a legacy family that all had good relationships with each other and when the founder died, omg, the grieving. The founder's spouse, especially, grieved for a really long time after. Just when I thought he was over it, he would randomly break down and cry again. He was so old and pitiful -- it was heartbreaking to watch, really, but so realistic. My Sims 3 sims mourned household members fairly well, but I was surprised at the lack of a moodlet when one of my sim's first, oldest, and best friends died. She got the pop-up saying that she was in mourning, but there were no actual signs of it. She didn't get a negative moodlet, her bar was high, and she just went merrily about her day.

Sims 4? I'm going to play with aging off until they fix the no-mourning glitch. I don't have the heart to watch one of my sims die and the other sims step over the body to grab lunch without even noticing. :/
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    ahholladay wrote: »
    Sims 4? I'm going to play with aging off until they fix the no-mourning glitch. I don't have the heart to watch one of my sims die and the other sims step over the body to grab lunch without even noticing. :/

I agree! I feel like I'm more attached to these family members than they are. I don't want them to die and then The sims are like meh..

Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    pageybearpageybear Posts: 180 Member
    I have some family members who have no reaction and then i have others who will not stop mourning. If you keep the tombstone or urn on your lot, they will just go over to it and cry all day and night. They need to fix this so its balanced. :(
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    When a sim died in TS3, it was felt over many households. So if a grandparent died on one lot, the children and grandchildren were also sad and had a "loved one has passed" or something moodlet. If a Sim dies on one lot in TS4, will their family feel it across the whole neighbourhood?

I'm about to kill off a grandparent after that family glitch turned him from grandfather to father of his daughters son (cringe) so.. he's gotta go. But I still want him to be mourned. He's still technically the Grandfather after all.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Weirder Stories.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    It should be known within families at least. Probably not too much farther - in 3 there was a random student that died in a fraternity, and every sim that stayed there cried for 2 days non-stop. Even my own which had never introduced himself.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif