Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can only license one song?

Am I missing something or can sims really only license one song? I licensed one and now when I went to license another the option is grayed out. I wanted my sim to be able to live off of royalties... :\

Comments

• Options
    WigginsWiggins Posts: 38 Member
    It seems one song per instrument.
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    There may be a cool off period. Try waiting a few sim hours and have them try again.
  • Options
    WigginsWiggins Posts: 38 Member
    @SimMommy05 I don't think there's a cool off period.
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    Wiggins wrote: »
    @SimMommy05 I don't think there's a cool off period.

Okay, thanks for the correction. I haven't played around with the musical instruments much. I was just thinking about the gaming tournaments and know there is a cool off period between those.
  • Options
    Jaelk01Jaelk01 Posts: 113 Member
    edited September 2014
    So an infinite number of Mods, Add ins, etc for Programmers and only one song per instrument for Artists? I think, if this is an oversight you may want to look at body of the work of ... well any real world artist for inspiration.
  • Options
    chesterwolfbergchesterwolfberg Posts: 20 Member
    What is the wait time? It's been 3 days on my game
  • Options
    chesterwolfbergchesterwolfberg Posts: 20 Member
    It took two weeks in game before I was aloud to license new song, and had option to re-license the song I had previously licensed
  • Options
    DuckletsDucklets Posts: 2 New Member
    The easiest way to make the song licensing work well would be to just make unfinished scores turn into finished scores. Which are books, which you can see the quality of, and publish using the existing book publishing mechanism.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Yeah, imo, compared to things like painting & book writing, or as was mentioned, mods for programmers, musicians seem REALLY limited in this regard. First, you can't even start writing a song till level 7 of an instrument; then you can't even LISCENSE said song till level 9; on top of that, writing a song seems to take much longer than painting a painting or writing a book; and FINALLY, once you do all that, you can still only license one song per instrument every 2 weeks. I haven't done the math exactly, maybe there's something I'm missing, like licensing songs makes a lot more money or something (but I don't think so). It seems extra weird when the musical genius aspiration has writing 4 songs as its 3rd tier requirement, which also has reaching level 6 as a requirement, so you'd think you'd be able to write songs at level 6? But no.

It all just seems extremely unbalanced, considering a dedicated painter can paint, like, 10 paintings a day and sell them each instantly for thousands of dollars, and its something I've wished they'd update in a patch or something. I suppose books & paintings can only be sold once, while songs you do hang onto (which...is kinda weird in terms of the book publishing if you think about it, but that's another topic), but that can be balanced easy enough just by slightly limiting how much the royalties can be (I've never seen royalties come in in the thousands, like paintings, for instance).

If I could redesign it, I think I'd make it so that

1: you can start writing songs at level 5 or 6;

2: you can license at that same level;

3: you're not limited by instrument, you can license as many songs as you have (tho of course, can't license the same song twice at once);

& 4: make the amount of time it takes to write a song vary by what kind of song it is, so simple ditties you can write early on take less time than epic ballads unlocked at later levels, with how much money you get from licensing connected to both the quality and how "high level" the song is.

These changes, I think, would make it much more on par with other creative skill crafting in the game, and also just make more sense intuitively for the player. Right now, in order to live off royalties, you really have to make your sim max out multiple instruments, which is not only a lot of extra work for the player, it also is really limiting story wise, if say, aesthetically you want you sim to really specialize in 1 instrument. I might not want my violinist to also play piano or guitar, and that should be a viable option in terms of living off songs & royalties.
  • Options
    EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Thanks for the additional thoughts folks!

This thread is actually quite old, so I'll be locking it here to avoid further necro-posting.

Do feel free to create a new topic if you're not finding a more recent thread on the subject you'd like to discuss, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top