Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims 4 for me?

As a 40-year old man, I realize I am probably not anywhere near the typical Sims player these days. However, I've always been a fan of Sims and Sim City games over the years and I'd like to at least consider Sims 4.

I'm not the type of player who enjoys customizing my avatars or homes. I pick some random pre-made character and move into some pre-made house. So I've probably just passed 90% of the content (and playerbase) right there. What I'm interested in is the gameplay. What does my character and his family do every day? How do they progress in life? What motivations do I have to get out of bed every morning and make those pancakes for the 50th time?

Is Sims 4 for me or is it more for the artistic type of player who enjoys creating and modifying their characters and homes?

Comments

• Options
    GarvelleGrantGarvelleGrant Posts: 390 Member
    That's the beauty of The Sims games, you can play however you want, but maybe if your style of play is not going to be affected by this new game then maybe it would be better to keep with the old versions for now. Don't buy it on release, wait for reviews and see if you'd find your motivations through the eyes of others.

May I ask do you play TS2 or TS3?
    Sexy Socialite

1KuFGd.gif
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I would suggest you wait until after release and read reviews, see other people playing the game, and so forth. It won't hurt to wait, but on the other hand if you buy it without knowing how it really plays, you may waste $60.

I haven't seen anything in the game that suits my playstyle and I'm also an older gamer (50+) but female. Good luck!
  • Options
    PaniacPaniac Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for the replies! Right now I am thinking of just waiting and seeing what comes out from reviews and folks posting videos online of the gameplay. The focus so far seems to be on CAS and features that involve more customizing, which is why I am thinking there isn't going to be enough difference between 3 and 4 in terms of gameplay. Might even be a step back for awhile until the EPs catch up.

So I suppose I should have phrased my question a bit different. Is there enough of a difference in the gameplay between 3 and 4 for me to buy into 4 or shall I keep playing Sims 3? But I am now thinking I will just wait awhile on 4.

And I have bought into every version of Sims and all of the EPs, beginning with the original Sims game. I don't even want to think about how much money that has cost me :P
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    You sound like you might get bored of the game after a few hours tbh. It helps quite a bit to enjoy the building and creating aspects, as well as being someone who downloads and installs mods pretty often
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    How much money you've spent on Sims games -- you and me, both, buddy! :D Several reviewers I trust -- people who neither love everything Sims nor hate it reflexively -- are the ones at PCGamer magazine (U.S.) and Lazy Game Reviews aka LGR.

LGR is the best. He's not a paid shill for EA and absolutely loves games in general. His "let's play" type of reviews are long but are great. The one he did for TS3 University Life on YouTube still cracks me up.
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    I think the only way you might enjoy TS4 is if you'd never played a Sims game before. That way you wouldn't realize what was missing. Every new iteration has been more for new players than old ones, but this time it seems they're actively excluding long time fans.
  • Options
    GojoebotGojoebot Posts: 59 Member
    I been playing since sims 1, each time a new game comes everyone panics, only to learn the new game is cool in its own way. That being said, there is no reason you wouldn't enjoy this game. I can't think of another game out there that plays like the sims.
  • Options
    bmashlandbmashland Posts: 358 New Member
    The Sims is for everyone, however I think it it more of a girls game.
    However, there are many questions that need to be asked before you invest money into a game collection as big and as expensive as this one gets starting with "will this one actually be released before they make Sims 3 work?" sorry, that one is mine. You can make up your own (hehe).

You see, some of us Sim's 3 customers are sitting with quite a few problems still, that is actually why I popped onto this one to see if people where speaking up about quality this time around. I really don't wish what I am going through on anyone.

Just ask questions on quality first, that is if you decide to buy as well as, "what if it doesn't do what you say it does" "what will be the remedy?". It's a loop-hole in false advertising laws that some companies try to do to really never provide you with a good product so they can play this 1, 2, 3, 4 game. I hope that is not what they are doing, I love this game but I got a broken $700.00 collection this time around which doesn't "fully" run on 4 times what they said it would just like to get my opinion on this forum as well as all the rah rah rah ones. From a Office Manager's very own mouth, "Sim's is complicated" which they seem to think a game's code being complicated means that we should let them off the hook for it never functioning they way they intended it to be. I'm not trying to make it do anything other then what they said it did and I can't get it. So your question about "if it is the game for you" is just one of 20 you should start asking.

Good Luck, there are several great gaming companies out there that offer great technical support for game issues Arena Net is doing very nicely. I went through hoops to get sent back to forums with several reported bugs still broken and they are putting this one on the market anyway. So, I just think unless they fix the prior product having advice to ask more question is the best thing I can offer. Good Luck with what ever you decide K.
  • Options
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    LGR is the best. He's not a paid shill for EA and absolutely loves games in general. His "let's play" type of reviews are long but are great. The one he did for TS3 University Life on YouTube still cracks me up.

I had never heard of LGR but after checking out the site (I love the way he has it designed old-school) and watching a couple of his videos, I'm now a fan. Thanks for pointing me in his direction, Stdlr9 :)

I may take breaks from time to time but I still enjoy playing TS3. As I mentioned, I don't do much with creating things but I enjoy watching generation after generation of Sim come and go not only from my family but from the whole neighborhood.
  • Options
    boyinflorida21boyinflorida21 Posts: 477 Member
    Its not a girl game.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I think you might like it if you give it a chance. I like to make little social experiments... like this person did by creating a homeless family in Sims 3 (with awesome documentation btw): http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Just make your own sandbox game with your own rules. Sleep with 10 people. See how many fires you can start. Get kicked out all your neighbors' houses. Make friends with everybody then declared them all your nemeses (nemesii?). Be vile or good. Or both.
  • Options
    While I appreciate everyone's replies, I think some may have misunderstood my original question. It wasn't whether the Sims franchise/games are for me but rather is TS4 something I should shell out $60 for based on my gameplay preferences or should I stick with TS3 for awhile longer? I'm definitely not new to the Sims franchise and have played all versions and EPs. And I have ran many social experiments over the years with my Sims. Not all of which turned out so pretty for the Sims involved ;)

I'm gathering that no one really knows yet how TS4 is going to be compared to TS3 in terms of gameplay. Or that we're assuming it is going to be similar in most ways. Unless someone comes up with some reason for me to not wait a few months, I'll probably stick with TS3 for now. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    BlazerineBlazerine Posts: 2,544 Member
    Well there's a big difference between watching someone play oppose to you playing. So you can't always make judgements off Let's Plays.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited August 2014
    Nobody knows how Sims 4 is going to turn out. I could be Simcity 5, the-Hangover-3-why-did-they-even-bother version. Or it could be worse. I've pre-ordered because I don't have much sense.

edited: because i forgotted how to do a past tense
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Paniac wrote: »
    While I appreciate everyone's replies, I think some may have misunderstood my original question. It wasn't whether the Sims franchise/games are for me but rather is TS4 something I should shell out $60 for based on my gameplay preferences or should I stick with TS3 for awhile longer? I'm definitely not new to the Sims franchise and have played all versions and EPs. And I have ran many social experiments over the years with my Sims. Not all of which turned out so pretty for the Sims involved ;)

I'm gathering that no one really knows yet how TS4 is going to be compared to TS3 in terms of gameplay. Or that we're assuming it is going to be similar in most ways. Unless someone comes up with some reason for me to not wait a few months, I'll probably stick with TS3 for now. Thanks again! :)
    I don't think many people here have played the game yet. To me it looks like it will play closer to sims 2. You should just do what I'm doing wait for player reviews... just not on these forums - biases, you know. Start with metacritic. Cheers
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    If it makes you happy, play like you never had before!
  • Options
    mulboro wrote: »
    I don't think many people here have played the game yet. To me it looks like it will play closer to sims 2. You should just do what I'm doing wait for player reviews... just not on these forums - biases, you know. Start with metacritic. Cheers

That's exactly what I am thinking now as well after reading everyone's replies on here and browsing through this forum a bit. I guess I figured they would have shopped around a demo to various review sites by now but it seems like they're keeping it pretty tight until it is released. That doesn't bode well if they're afraid of negatively impacting their pre-sales figures with a demo :P

At any rate, I'll just wait and watch with the rest of you all.
  • Options
    bmashlandbmashland Posts: 358 New Member
    Well I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. Personally, they don't get another nickel from me for this or anything else. They don't make working games and tend to make promises on what expansion packs will do and never accomplish them.

First Question for you then would be: Do you believe they'll make it function as they say it does?

I think personally you'll be beta testing for Sims 5 design team, while you sit with a broken version of Sims 4 asking for help for your current game purchase on forums talking to the message board, waiting for fixes that never come like we do now.
    That is all us Sims 3 people did and those of us left still do. We worked for free finding bugs so they could design Sims 4 in my opinion. Proof is in it not being fixed before this got put up for pre-order. There's your bug reports, fixed. You just have to buy it again.

I would feel stupid if I ever purchased a thing from this company again. Maxis, EA anything affiliated with them what so ever. Google it, write it down. Get quality products or let the business go belly up. Games should work, if they don't they are in the wrong business.

Maxis isn't making games that I can rely on.
    Quality isn't priority.

And last but not least, an office manager saying computer code is "complicated" (their own words) is a reason they don't have to make it work or can take years to do so without letting us know when we can expect it done? Well, that sounds like a company that doesn't even know how to achieve what they set on the shelves as already being finished and "sell worthy". A product on the shelf, means ready. At least it used too. "As Is" is creative concept. Sims talk Simmish, we can't change that ,but not scuba diving or gardens that stop growing, missing sound files etc.ect.. That's sloppy craftsmanship, and I won't be tolerating it.

A consumer should get what they pay for and there are tons of functional games made by companies, who give actual customer support that are just as complicated, some even more so and they aren't hiding behind it. I don't have faith in this collection of companies any more and for god reason, I sit will so many broken pieces of this current one, still asking for help and not getting it.

Buyer be really, "really" aware. Getting a "Quality product" shouldn't be a request, it is a given. They got our money for it.