Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims recognizing their families

I started asking about this in the "Is there a family tree?" thread (keep bumping it!), but didn't want to hijack, so I'm making a new thread.

Does anyone out there have any information on if TS4 Sims will recognize other family members? Will a TS4 Sim know their step-parent or grandparent or cousin?

I keep thinking about the seedier side of TS2 when a great-granddaughter could fall completely in love with their grandfather because the game failed to recognize family after a certain generation. I can't speak on TS3 because I barely played the game and never had multiple generations (but if someone wants to chime in with how it worked in TS3, I'd be interested, I may play a TS3 legacy someday).

Anyone got any good links?

Edited: I a word.

Comments

• Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:
    I started asking about this in the "Is there a family tree?" thread (keep bumping it!), but didn't want to hijack, so I'm making a new thread.

Does anyone out there have any information on if TS4 Sims will recognize other family members? Will a TS4 Sim know their step-parent or grandparent or cousin?

I keep thinking about the seedier side of TS2 when a great-granddaughter could fall completely in love with their grandfather because the game failed to recognize family after a certain generation. I can't speak on TS3 because I barely played the game and never had multiple generations (but if someone wants to chime in with how it worked in TS3, I'd be interested, I may play a TS3 legacy someday).

I never got into that in sims3 so can't comment, but one thing I didn't like so much about sims3 was that family relationships didn't seem that important (grandchildren treated their grandparents like acquaintances rather than being excited to see them etc) so it would be great if (with the focus on emotions) there were more in-depth family relationships.

Maybe someone from the camp can comment??
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:

I actually liked that in TS2 after a few generations the Sims didn't realize that they were cousins. I played legacy towns and I ended up with so many households to rotate that I married cousins to cousins as soon as they were far enough removed to not be related. :twisted:
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited August 2014
    I actually liked that in TS2 after a few generations the Sims didn't realize that they were cousins. I played legacy towns and I ended up with so many households to rotate that I married cousins to cousins as soon as they were far enough removed to not be related. :twisted:

I can't lie, I play a medieval TS2 game and do the same thing. But I love when the grandparents are excited to see their grandchildren and seem to recognize them, it's when great-grandpa romance 🐸🐸🐸🐸 starts flirting with his young adult romance granddaughter that things get too weird for me. :lol:
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited August 2014
    With the crippled story progression (or did it die with many other features? I can't keep track anymore :roll: ) I doubt sims will recognize their family members in town.
    I'd like for family trees to play a bigger impact on the game but I don't think that will happen
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think a guru said once that family relationships "recognizing" are more present in TS4.

In TS3 it was not there basically at all. :? I mean really.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    I think a guru said once that family relationships "recognizing" are more present in TS4.

Please bare with me because I rarely play TS3 (I try sometimes though), in the relationship panel, does it specify anything besides "family"? In other words, if I have a granddaughter in TS3, will the grandfathers relationship panel indicate that she's general "family" or specifically a "granddaughter"?
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

Please bare with me because I rarely play TS3 (I try sometimes though), in the relationship panel, does it specify anything besides "family"? In other words, if I have a granddaughter in TS3, will the grandfathers relationship panel indicate that she's general "family" or specifically a "granddaughter"?

In TS3 it shows a family icon and says "mother" "son" etc. but as for actual gameplay there's not much recognition in-game outside of the texts. The family felt completely disconnected. That's better in TS2 but still meh. But I heard all of that was improved in TS4.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

It specifies granddaughter, mom, step-dad, brother, cousin, for each of the family relatives
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thank you both for the answers. :D