Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Death by Hunger *footage by simsvip*

Link to article (with video): http://simsvip.com/2014/08/06/the-sims-4-death-by-hunger-no-ghosts/

Simsvip uploaded a video on how death is handled in TS4, and I can't say I'm crazy about it. So, I ended up making my own pro/con list about it. Please tell me what you guys like/dislike about it and share your own pros/cons.

Pros
-The new musical cue and sim animations for the death are kinda cute (0:12)
- the way grim wields his scythe + the particle effects of the sim's soul are pretty sweet
Cons
-Grimmy just kinda pops into the game. There's no wicked thunder clap or black smoke as he rise from the deep bowels within earth (0:20) :lol:
-Sim's body just instantly transforms into a urn. no animation... (1:22)
-No ghosts! Aw man I thought those were neat. I'll miss those
-The tablet is an interesting idea, but it seems strange that grim just stares at it for the better part of a minute doing nothing.

Comments

• Options
    simssims2sims3simssims2sims3 Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2014
    I generally like it. I thought the iPad (?) that the grim reaper had was funny

Except.....
    no epic music playing
    no hula dancers
    very clunky movements
  • Options
    buttertoast2792buttertoast2792 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2014
    My problem with it was how robotic it was and it felt long and dragged out and awkward.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    edited August 2014
    what a plain death...and obviously...no ghost :evil: but thanks for sharing! :)
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited August 2014
    I rolled at Grim using the iPad. Nyeh heh It was funny <3
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited August 2014
    I hate the way they've handled ghosts since TS2. Personally, I liked the haunting globs that couldn't be interacted with after death. That's all opinion though, the death itself looked pretty standard.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2014
    The other sim cried huge dripping tears and then was like, "La de dah" as if nothing happened the instant he turned into an urn. I thought these sims were supposed to have superior emotions. :?
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited August 2014
    0:09 Not a fluid animation
  • Options
    TheMarsh1TheMarsh1 Posts: 99 Member
    edited August 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    The other sim cried huge dripping tears and then was like, "La de dah" as if nothing happened the instant he turned into an urn. I thought these sims were supposed to have superior emotions. :?
    LoL! Yeah I noticed that once he instantaneously transmuted into an urn, she stopped crying and sniffed her pits. :lol:

@buttertoast2792: Yes! Awkward. That's the word I was looking for.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2014
    I thought the grim reaper animation with the scythe was freakin cool!

but that awkward long staring at his ipad and down at the floor, then ipad...what the hell was that >.>

I didn't mind the crying sim but after her w/e he was to her turned into an urn she went back to being a robot again.

See, I was under the impression that the emotions would be smooth and transition and appear in their other motions cause they're still sad. Like walking sad or deep sighing.

But what I saw from her felt very sims 3-ish to me. Like her action to cry was over now it's time to be hungry and smell your pits lol.

I wish she showed more of her afterwards, I'd like to see if she remains depressed for a while.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Alsooo.

I thought simsvip had free will turned off?

If that's the case, why did the sim start crying when the other sim die but when she was giving birth the other sim never even moved...

isn't a birth just as emotional as death? I mean life/death come on lol Just wondering.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Seamoan wrote:
    I hate the way they've handled ghosts since TS2. Personally, I liked the haunting globs that couldn't be interacted with after death. That's all opinion though, the death itself looked pretty standard.

i hated the ghosts in sims 3 when they moved around doing stuff like the used to but I loved it when they went invincible and started moving furniture haha. That's what I expected from ghosts. To not be seen most of the time cept for a few rare moments..like when a sim walks into a room and it materializes and then vanishes but the sim is like OMG WHAT DID I JUST SEE _)&

and things moving or things breaking or things flinging across the room. That's what I wanted from ghosts T_T
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited August 2014
    if there are really no ghosts, this will make me happy. Although I know that opinion won't be shared by most, but I absolutely hate ghosts
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited August 2014
    This is BARELY any different from death in sims 3.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited August 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Seamoan wrote:

i hated the ghosts in sims 3 when they moved around doing stuff like the used to but I loved it when they went invincible and started moving furniture haha. That's what I expected from ghosts. To not be seen most of the time cept for a few rare moments..like when a sim walks into a room and it materializes and then vanishes but the sim is like OMG WHAT DID I JUST SEE _)&

and things moving or things breaking or things flinging across the room. That's what I wanted from ghosts T_T

Exactly. Ghosts should scare and poltergeist, they should not make friendly chit-chat and get pregnant. I'm curious to see how EA will handle their supernatural release this time around.
  • Options
    simseatcakesimseatcake Posts: 230 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Its almost like the grim reaper was waiting for his energy to replenish in the new Kim Kardashian iPad game..
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited August 2014
    It was... different. I did notice a few animation glitches, hope those get smoothed out before release. I do not like the giant crocodile tears. The whole process seems to take a long, boring time. I didn't figure there were ghosts anyway so that didn't surprise me, we've seen staged death and this wasn't very different. I did find it odd how quickly the female stopped crying right after he poofed into an urn. She was like, 'ok, what now, I need food.'.
  • Options
    simssims2sims3simssims2sims3 Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2014
    bump
  • Options
    Oneice27Oneice27 Posts: 314 Member
    edited August 2014
    ... anyone else in love with Grim's voice?
    Keep calm and sim on friend-os!

**Icon image is of my character, drawn for my by fellow artist ^^ I always play out him and his gal's story in the sims, going to be exciting to bring it to the sims 4!**
  • Options
    joneswkjoneswk Posts: 270 Member
    edited August 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Alsooo.

I thought simsvip had free will turned off?

If that's the case, why did the sim start crying when the other sim die but when she was giving birth the other sim never even moved...

isn't a birth just as emotional as death? I mean life/death come on lol Just wondering.

I feel like I remember reading something about sims working on developing skills not being interrupted by events, which, if true, could explain both - If the sim in the birth video was working on a skill then he wouldn't have reacted to the birth. In the death, the surviving sim wasn't doing anything and so did react.

And I wish I remembered the source, but sadly don't.
  • Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2014
    This is just... anti-climactic. Where is the creepy music that strikes dread in your heart realizing one of your little simmy family is about to depart :shock: I miss the animation of the departed interacting with Grimmy - sometimes begging and pleading, sometimes not. And the crying sim - did tears spurt like a fountain from crying sims like that before? It just looks weird, imo :?

It's like this had the potential to be a new and more updated way for sims to die, but they ran out of time and had to skimp on the final animation. :thumbdown:
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2014
    To bad there's no ghosts, I've always enjoyed the ghosts in sims 1 through 3.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    tayluhlebretontayluhlebreton Posts: 96 Member
    edited August 2014
    Its almost like the grim reaper was waiting for his energy to replenish in the new Kim Kardashian iPad game..

too **** long.