Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions about Midnight Hollow

So you see, I've saved up nearly enough to get the standard version of Midnight Hollow, just need like 10 more ads to watch.

I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and get the standard version, keep saving for gold, or just not get it at all.
So my question(s)

For those that got gold do you feel it was worth it?
Do you kinda wish you just got the standard version instead?

What do you like most about the world?
Any issues you had with it?

x.x I tried watching reviews, but for whatever reason video reviews annoy me.

I know about the problems with the lighting in the world, that doesn't bug me. This is the only world I don't have, and really would like to hear everything you have to say about the world, before deciding which version or if at all to get the world.

Comments

• Options
    Fran98765Fran98765 Posts: 462 Member
    edited August 2014
    Honestly, I would keep saving and wait for it to go on sale. The worlds are bound to go on sale somewhat soon, with Sims 4 around the corner.
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited August 2014
    I love Midnight Hollow, one of my favorite worlds. Interestingly enough, folks complained about it being too dark to play in. On my old cheap laptop, the world was plenty bright for me. I got a new gamer laptop. The world is too dark for me on my new laptop to play in. I use one of Burnt Waffles lighting mod which helps tremendously. I still love the world.

I am not sure which one of her lighting mods I am using, but you can experiment by downloading (one at a time only) and see what works for you if you need a lighting mod.
  • Options
    razmo99razmo99 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited August 2014
    The world has a nice steampunk/gothic vibe and the architecture is really pretty. It's a close second behind my favorite neighborhood (Dragon Valley). Plus it has Olive Specter and Nervous Subject, two of my favorite Sims characters.

I bought the gold version. I don't use the toy machine very often, but I do like the items that came with it (especially the door! I use it all the time!). It's personal choice. I don't regret buying it.

This only issue I've had is the first time I played the neighborhood (within the first Sim day of play), a meteor crashed in Simagon Alley and killed a good portion of the Sims in the neighborhood. The rabbit hole is so large that so many Sims congregate there for work and shopping. It was devastating. That meteor took away a lot of the neighborhood's potential right at the start of my first play. I know it's just a random aspect of the game, but at the same time I was really bummed about it.
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited August 2014
    It's a dark world, but lovely in winter so I think you should go for gold - and hold out until it's on sale! :-o
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm perhaps in the minority, but unless you really want the Toy Machine and the few extra toys it gives, you are just as well getting standard.
    The Savvy seller set allows you to sell items as in running a shop and this comes with the Standard world. It's the more useful piece of premium content. (Unless you really can't live without some new toys)
    I bought the Gold, but almost never place the toy shop in other worlds, it's the seller set that gets used.

You know about the darkness, which is very beautiful in it's way. Depending on the time of day and shadows cast, the effect is extraordinary.
    My main annoyance is the valley Midnight Hollow is set in, this causes the camera to bump around a bit, wish the hills had been set further back.

The townies in this world are hands down the best, absolutely unique, beautiful and very quirky. They're worth the purchase price alone. The houses are also very well done.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited August 2014
    I agree with the others. Other than the darkness, it's a great world. If you can live with the lighting, then you will like it.
  • Options
    sarovissarovis Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think I will just get the standard. If gold goes on sale for like the price of a venue later on I'll buy it then.
  • Options
    MaithlyMaithly Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2014
    I personally got gold simply because I'm the type that must have complete sets of everything regardless of whether I truly want certain individual items in the set or not, and Midnight Hollow is the one world where the venue is exclusive to the gold edition and cannot be purchased separately (as of right now, at least). Otherwise, I'd treat it like I do all the other worlds that can be bought with SimPoints - buy standard and then wait for the venue to go on the Daily Deal.

If I got the standard edition and the toy store would never have the option of being sold separately in the future, I'd be hitting myself every time I played in Midnight Hollow. But that's just me. I hardly use the venue at all, but I really like the aesthetic and I honestly have no regrets.

...Not to mention that I got the gold edition for about 3800 or so points through the Make Me an Offer thing. It usually throws a lot of useless junk at you, but when it comes to giving discounts for worlds, it's not so bad.
  • Options
    peachypixiepeachypixie Posts: 77 New Member
    edited August 2014
    I've seen the gold version for the same price as the standard version on the 'Make Me An Offer' page, a couple times anyway, but I haven't seen it in quite some time. I kicked myself for not buying it when I saw it the first time and the last time I was trying to purchase it and accidentally hit the next offer button. Opps? :lol:

If it were me I'd be saving for gold. It just depends on if you think you'd really use the items.

edit: you can tell if it's the gold versus the standard version listed on the 'Make Me An Offer' page by the original price of the item listed. I got the gold version of Aurora Skies that way.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've seen the gold version for the same price as the standard version on the 'Make Me An Offer' page, a couple times anyway, but I haven't seen it in quite some time. I kicked myself for not buying it when I saw it the first time and the last time I was trying to purchase it and accidentally hit the next offer button. Opps? :lol:

If it were me I'd be saving for gold. It just depends on if you think you'd really use the items.

Really? I've never seen the gold for the same cost as standard before through Make Me an Offer. That's insanely low. 3800 was the lowest I'd ever gotten for a gold edition, and I thought that was a decent deal. Guess I'll hold back some and keep my eyes peeled for better deals next time. I still have quite a few worlds left to buy anyway.
  • Options
    peachypixiepeachypixie Posts: 77 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Really? I've never seen the gold for the same cost as standard before through Make Me an Offer. That's insanely low. 3800 was the lowest I'd ever gotten for a gold edition, and I thought that was a decent deal. Guess I'll hold back some and keep my eyes peeled for better deals next time. I still have quite a few worlds left to buy anyway.

It was some time ago, a couple months or so, not entirely sure. More recently the deals have been kind of meh on Make Me An Offer, but I always look because every now and then I'll catch something unexpected like that. I know some people just don't have the patience for it, but if I'm on sims I always look since it only takes a minute or two of my time to check. I do love a good deal and I almost never pay full price for store content. :wink:
  • Options
    Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2014
    I finally saved up enough points and got the standard Midnight Hollow over the weekend and I absolutely love this world. Yeah, it is a dark world but I fixed that by messing with the monitor settings. It's not quite as dark now.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• Options
    edited August 2014
    It was some time ago, a couple months or so, not entirely sure. More recently the deals have been kind of meh on Make Me An Offer, but I always look because every now and then I'll catch something unexpected like that. I know some people just don't have the patience for it, but if I'm on sims I always look since it only takes a minute or two of my time to check. I do love a good deal and I almost never pay full price for store content. :wink:

Ah, I've only been checking the Make Me an Offer page daily for the past month or so, so perhaps I haven't really stumbled upon any truly great deals yet. More motivation to keep checking then. :-) I'm in no rush to purchase all that I can anyway. Sitting tight and waiting for good deals sounds good to me.