Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 uni question

kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
I played the Sims 2 only shortly, when TS3 didn't exist yet, and didn't have any EP:s for it. Now I started playing the ultimate collection, and the first thing I decided to do was send my sims to university.

Since I already knew that the sims would need to be teens, I went to one of the university worlds, and created two sims (in create a student) and moved them into a dorm. That way I could skip making a family for them, which I'd had to do if they'd been teens.

Anyway, now I realized they don't have a home anywhere else than the uni-world. So, when they graduate, what's going to happen? Can I still continue playing with them? Will I just be able to choose them a house in the home world? Or how is it going to work?
01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

Comments

• Options
    RuthyBananaRuthyBanana Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2014
    When they graduate a black hole will open up and swallow them and you will never see your sims ever again.

Just kidding, I haven't played TS2 in a loooooooong time, but i think when they graduate you can choose a house for them to live in. :lol:

tumblr_n3knr0AooC1sbvx0oo1_400.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    When they graduate a black hole will open up and swallow them and you will never see your sims ever again.

I wouldn't be surprised, when it comes to sims games :lol:
    Just kidding, I haven't played TS2 in a loooooooong time, but i think when they graduate you can choose a house for them to live in. :lol:

I hope so :) But yeah, that actually sounds the only way it could happen, really...

• Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited July 2014
    when they finish university, it will take you back to the neighbourhood and your sims will be in the sim bin with 20.000each so you can put them into a home in the neighbourhood to carry on playing them, they will be in separate households if you have more then one sim as they leave university separate but you can merge them and have more money.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2014
    A little thing I use to do for my sims that when to the university was I would spend their money on stuff, and place those items in their personal inventory. It works much different than it does in TS3. This way they would start out in their adult life with a little extra.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    when they finish university, it will take you back to the neighbourhood and your sims will be in the sim bin with 20.000each so you can put them into a home in the neighbourhood to carry on playing them, they will be in separate households if you have more then one sim as they leave university separate but you can merge them and have more money.

But even if they're in the bin, they'll have their degrees? And the things in their inventories?

@LaBlue0314, thanks for the tip.

The Sims 2 seems to work very differently from the Sims 3. It wasn't really a surprise, but suddenly I just find everything very confusing :) I constantly notice I'm looking for a way to get to the map view to go to a community lot. Then I realize there isn't one. And it actually took me ages to figure out how to get my sim to visit a community lot, when I first wanted to :roll:

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yes, Sims who graduate from Uni keep what's in their inventory etc. The only reason they go to the bin is that it's the only way to transport them from Uni back to the neighborhood.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Yes, Sims who graduate from Uni keep what's in their inventory etc. The only reason they go to the bin is that it's the only way to transport them from Uni back to the neighborhood.

• Options
    ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited July 2014
    LaBlue0314 wrote:
    A little thing I use to do for my sims that when to the university was I would spend their money on stuff, and place those items in their personal inventory. It works much different than it does in TS3. This way they would start out in their adult life with a little extra.

This /\ I do this all the time. My sims get good grades so I spend some of the money on a "spring break" type trip for them and a friend or two. I also buy them a few outfits. The rest of the money, I buy expensive stuff they'll need for setting up their homes after Uni. That way, they can keep their money. Otherwise, they lose whatever they had and get the base 20,000§

yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ErnesaT wrote:
    My sims get good grades so I spend some of the money on a "spring break" type trip for them and a friend or two.

So, you can actually travel from University? I actually noticed there was some option on the phone to "arrange a trip" or something like that*. But could I actually use it and my sims would still return to finish their degrees?

At what point should I let them travel? Between semesters?

*With this game I don't know the correct terms in English, because I'm playing in Finnish. I haven't found a way to change the language and I hate it. I play TS3 in English and it just works so much better...

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    kati77 wrote:
    ErnesaT wrote:
    My sims get good grades so I spend some of the money on a "spring break" type trip for them and a friend or two.

So, you can actually travel from University? I actually noticed there was some option on the phone to "arrange a trip" or something like that*. But could I actually use it and my sims would still return to finish their degrees?

*With this game I don't know the correct terms in English, because I'm playing in Finnish. I haven't found a way to change the language and I hate it. I play TS3 in English and it just works so much better...

They can travel/go on holiday any time they like. When they return to Uni, it will be at the same point in the semester at which they left, as if no time had passed. You can also take them downtown and to the shopping district without time passing. The only situation where time passes is if you take them to a community lot at the Uni.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    They can travel/go on holiday any time they like. When they return to Uni, it will be at the same point in the semester at which they left, as if no time had passed. You can also take them downtown and to the shopping district without time passing. The only situation where time passes is if you take them to a community lot at the Uni.

Thanks! Then I'll probably have them take a trip at some point :)

Edit: By the way... Is there anything like Carl's Guide for TS2?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    kati77 wrote:
    ErnesaT wrote:

I usually make them live in the dorm for the freshman year (2 semesters), if they don't have enough scholarship money to rent a house. That gives them a chance to make friends.

I send them on a trip at the end of their sophmore year. By then, they have everything they need in their room/house, including a few outfits. I let them choose a vacation spot and go for 3 days. After that, I send them on vacation after each full term/year.

When they graduate, I send them one last time before they have to join the "real" world. Since time stops on their home lot, they come back to the same time where they left off.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kati77 wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:

Thanks! Then I'll probably have them take a trip at some point :)

Edit: By the way... Is there anything like Carl's Guide for TS2?

this is the best I could find.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/914811-the-sims-2/faqs

I have the discs and they actually came with mini guides.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ErnesaT wrote:
    this is the best I could find.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/914811-the-sims-2/faqs

I have the discs and they actually came with mini guides.

Thanks! I'll bookmark that one :) I only have the base game disc, and the booklet, naturally, (I even know, where it is!), but that doesn't really help me with the EP:s.

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    As young adults in University, they can still visit the Downtown neighborhood- go to clubs, shopping, dates out there. They can go to any of the other Community lots in any other hoods for visits. They just can't live anywhere else but University.

University Students that aren't player made can be moved in with the proposal options. If you Sims have friends you want to move in- either in the University neighborhood or the regular hoods.
    In the regular neighborhoods the YA Sims will grow up after being askd to move in- Normally they'll get a diploma if the Sim asking them to move in graduated from Uni.
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited July 2014
    I use to take them else where during exams, when they get stressed and down then they get bad grades, so I would take them home or to another part of town, there is also a hotel(you place) you can check them in, have a gay old time, sleep and they will feel ready for the next exam. My teen usually were started in a family set in a town and by the time they are ready for uni they belong to many studios, dance, hobbiest ect. and they can go visit and make friends.Then they go to the hotel and swim, eat and sleep, being refreshed they go back to continue the exams, and only a second passes from when they left.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    You lose anything you didn't get packed into the student's inventory and any cash needs to be spent on objects to sell and those packed up before leaving and they can be moved into boarding houses or apartments to get started.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:
    As young adults in University, they can still visit the Downtown neighborhood- go to clubs, shopping, dates out there. They can go to any of the other Community lots in any other hoods for visits. They just can't live anywhere else but University.

University Students that aren't player made can be moved in with the proposal options. If you Sims have friends you want to move in- either in the University neighborhood or the regular hoods.
    In the regular neighborhoods the YA Sims will grow up after being askd to move in- Normally they'll get a diploma if the Sim asking them to move in graduated from Uni.

So, do you invite the friends over after you've graduated (like in TS3 UL), or do I have to do something with the friends before my sims move back to their home world, if I want a friend to come with them?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    kati77 wrote:
    Rflong7 wrote:

So, do you invite the friends over after you've graduated (like in TS3 UL), or do I have to do something with the friends before my sims move back to their home world, if I want a friend to come with them?

If you want them to move back to town with you after graduation, you have either:

1. Invite them as students to move in with you. At that point, you control them too. I usually have my sims meet their future mate at Uni, move them in and play them until they graduate too; or

2. When your sim graduates and moves back to their hood, invite the other sim over and ask them to move in. In order to do this, you need to make sure the sim lives in a house with a phone. To bypass this, I usually give them a cell phone as a gift, before my sim leaves Uni. If the other sim doesn't have a phone, you can't contact them.

One more important piece of info, don't let your sim move the mascot (cow, llama), cheerleader or streaker into their home. While you can control them, they are not good marriage/partner material. They keep changing back into those stupid uniforms and can be glitchy.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ErnesaT wrote:
    2. When your sim graduates and moves back to their hood, invite the other sim over and ask them to move in. In order to do this, you need to make sure the sim lives in a house with a phone. To bypass this, I usually give them a cell phone as a gift, before my sim leaves Uni. If the other sim doesn't have a phone, you can't contact them.

One more important piece of info, don't let your sim move the mascot (cow, llama), cheerleader or streaker into their home. While you can control them, they are not good marriage/partner material. They keep changing back into those stupid uniforms and can be glitchy.

Thanks! Then two more questions:

1. How do I gift another sim something? I haven't noticed an option to do it, although it might be there.

2. Do the girls in the Greek house count as those, who might glitch? The other one of my sims joined one, and of course she's pretty good friends with all three of them, so I might want them to move to the home world, too.