Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Give us Mac users some info EA!

Just saying, as a dedicated Mac user who has bought a huge quantity of previous sims 3 games +half the sims store - I would think it'd be only fair to either give us some info or tell us if it aint happening.

There is a lot of talk about being able to play this game on all sorts of spec's of PCs - but you can't seriously be telling me that there is no plan at all for Mac?!

Help me out here Gurus.

Comments

• Options
    piccprincesspiccprincess Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2014
    They have stated that they have no Mac version of TS4 at this time to release.
  • Options
    jadeenkittenjadeenkitten Posts: 22 New Member
    edited July 2014

Am aware of that - doesn't really count as info.
    Wann know if it will ever be out or if im going to have to buy a new computer purely to play Sims 4 - which seems like the opposite to what i was expecting from this game...
  • Options
    PinkyPop60PinkyPop60 Posts: 152
    edited July 2014
    This really is disappointing as I too have bought almost every single expansion and half the store, whether it was worth it or not. I just recently gave away my PC because it wasn't running well due to all of the Sims 3 content and I got a Mac. Now I might not be able to play the game at all. Im just sick of hearing "We are currently focused on the PC version of The Sims 4. We have no additional information regarding Mac at this time"
  • Options
    piccprincesspiccprincess Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2014

Am aware of that - doesn't really count as info.
    Wann know if it will ever be out or if im going to have to buy a new computer purely to play Sims 4 - which seems like the opposite to what i was expecting from this game...

Well as far as the public knows, it's the only info they have given out regarding Mac and nothing else, really.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:
    This really is disappointing as I too have bought almost every single expansion and half the store, whether it was worth it or not. I just recently gave away my PC because it wasn't running well due to all of the Sims 3 content and I got a Mac. Now I might not be able to play the game at all. Im just sick of hearing "We are currently focused on the PC version of The Sims 4. We have no additional information regarding Mac at this time"

Exactly - they've been playing the no comment card a bit much for this release. I mean, sure im a little annoyed about pools toddlers etc, but what does it matter when I can't even play??

Please give us some details - Just let me give you my money!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:

Exactly - they've been playing the no comment card a bit much for this release. I mean, sure im a little annoyed about pools toddlers etc, but what does it matter when I can't even play??

Please give us some details - Just let me give you my money!

Exactly! Sure, I understand why there are no toddlers or pools in the base game, but it's so upsetting to see hundreds of people complaining about that when I'm not even sure if i'll ever get to play the game. If anyone has the right to complain, I think it's Mac users! We're the ones being left in the dark and excluded. I sort of understand why with all of the problems with making it playable on the Mac. But I just gave away my old PC and got a Mac and it's not like I can just go out and buy another computer because they decide to not pay attention to mac users. They'll most likely have something close to pools and toddlers in a later expansion pack or patch, but there's nothing I can do if I can't even buy the game!
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    Just get a PC. Trust me, you won't regret it.
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    edited July 2014
    I was begging for some info at one point, but then as more features were revealed (or taken out) I wasn't bothered. I have no intentions to waste $90 (possibly more where I live) on a game that is half finished.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:

I just got this new computer. I can't exactly just go out and get another one for one game. I just wish they had just told us sooner that the game wouldn't be available right away. In the beginning they said Mac/PC and as soon as I gave my PC away, they said only PC on September 2nd and now the demo is only PC
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

I just got this new computer. I can't exactly just go out and get another one for one game. I just wish they had just told us sooner that the game wouldn't be available right away. In the beginning they said Mac/PC and as soon as I gave my PC away, they said only PC on September 2nd and now the demo is only PC

Plus you must be pretty dedicated to want to pay like $700 min just to play sims 4. just a little steep for me - maybe if i still lived with my parents and had no bills to pay...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

Plus you must be pretty dedicated to want to pay like $700 min just to play sims 4. just a little steep for me - maybe if i still lived with my parents and had no bills to pay...

Yeah buying a PC just for the sims 4 is pretty much out of the question, especially since my family is pretty much converting to Macs. Buying a several hundred dollar computer (Because you'd probably need a good computer to run the sim 4) for a single game is just not going to happen. At least for me.
  • Options
    xovaleexovalee Posts: 273 Member
    edited July 2014
    Never fear. Apple isn't crotchety like Microsoft. I was a PC user for years and finally found the promised land that is my mac. You can fairly easily bootcamp your mac to run windows. Might be cheaper than buying a PC. Apple already gives you the software to do this. All you need to do is have a full version of windows. Just search youtube for instructions.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    xovalee wrote:
    Never fear. Apple isn't crotchety like Microsoft. I was a PC user for years and finally found the promised land that is my mac. You can fairly easily bootcamp your mac to run windows. Might be cheaper than buying a PC. Apple already gives you the software to do this. All you need to do is have a full version of windows. Just search youtube for instructions.

Yeah, this can be good too- but EA also havn't confirmed yet if running it on bootcamp will work...
    Would be nice not to need to have a work around to run the game
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    xovalee wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I might try this, but I'm not sure yet. Will it damage or mess with my computer in any way that you know of?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, this can be good too- but EA also havn't confirmed yet if running it on bootcamp will work...

EA has nothing to do with whether it will work or not. With bootcamp you are using the full blown version of windows. If it runs on windows it will work on bootcamp. I've used many pc programs on my mac with no issues. If I decided to buy the Sims 4 and its a PC only platform I'll be doing just that. On the other hand if we mac users have to wait for it to be released then maybe we will get the game closer to what we want. I won't be holding my breath, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I might try this, but I'm not sure yet. Will it damage or mess with my computer in any way that you know of?

Having been PC users for a long time there are things my husband and I use that are PC only and we haven't had one bit of issues when using bootcamp. It partitions a completely different section of your hard drive for Windows use only. It's the best rout to go if you must have certain PC applications.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    PinkyPop60 wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

You can always install Bootcamp on your Mac. That way you can have a Mac side and a Windows side. Play the game on your Windows side, and it'll work great. You have to buy Windows 7, though. It's like $150.

I get it. But like I said above, you can always get Bootcamp. I did a year ago, and I can run TS3 with everything, including tons of CC, flawlessly.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:

That's not an option for a lot of folks. Not only would I have to shell out money for a PC, I'd have to buy all new software, some of it pretty specialized. I'd have to teach my husband how to handle Windows errors and hope he wouldn't screw anything up (he crashed my late father-in-law's computer so many times he was banned from using it) -- I'm the techie in the family. :roll: I already had to install Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition to play Sims 3 without getting error messages; I was really looking forward to a Mac native Sims 4 because I'm getting tired of having to boot into Windows to play my game, then back into Mac OS to get work done, or leave the computer for 5 minutes to go to the bathroom or laundry room only to find my husband's booted back into Mac OS when I was just about ready to start playing.

I bought Macs for a reason; they work. I can maintain them myself; my father-in-law had a tech support guy on speed dial because he ran into so many problems, and the guy would come over and fix the problems and charge like $50/hour. I've never had to contact tech support for Apple other than asking questions on the discussion forums, and I've only had two problems with optical drives (one on my old MacBook, the other on my current iMac) and both were under extended warranty (I'm taking this machine in next month when we're going to be moving anyway so won't be able to set up for a few days).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2014
    xovalee wrote:

Boot Camp installs a full version of Windows on the computer -- if the game runs on Windows 7, then it'll run on the Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp. I've been playing Sims 3 on Windows 7 on a partition on my iMac for a few years now...I hate it because I have to boot into Windows to play, then boot back into Mac OS (Mavericks) to get other work done or if my husband wants to use the computer, which means I can't just take a quick break to play the game then pause, minimize the window and do more work.

It's also more cost -- you have to buy a full version of Windows to install and that runs close to $200. And with Windows 8 now out, I'm not even sure if Windows 7 is still available and Boot Camp doesn't work with Windows 8 (when new version of Mac OS, Yosemite, comes out that might change.) Still, that makes for one additional hoop that Mac users have to jump through...and it's a pretty pricy hoop.
    PinkyPop60 wrote:

It won't damage your computer at all -- BluebellFlora (who I haven't seen on the forums in like forever) did a wonderful post on installing Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac (and apparently Windows 8 does work with Boot Camp; wonder if that was in one of the latest software updates): http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/579888.page

You also might want to check Apple's Boot Camp support page; you can download and print out the manuals that will walk you through the process: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

The key is to make sure to have a partition that's big enough for The Sims (plus EPs/SPs, store stuff, CC, and game saves); I have a 1 terabyte (TB) hard drive so I went with about a third of that (300 GB) which was way more than I needed but I wasn't sure if I was going to get into Create A World or not. Once you've set your partition size, you're pretty much stuck unless you uninstall the partition and re-do the entire process, which would mean having to back up all your Sims files onto a separate drive if you don't want to lose anything.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    vesvezDatvesvezDat Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2014
    They tell us there won't be a mac release but they know macs nowadays can load Windows. So why don't they even tell us if Sims 4 will work on Windows 8 through bootcamp in Mac.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited July 2014
    First of all, if the Sims 4 is a hit you can bet your bottom dollar they'll have it ported to the Mac OS. At this point in time, there are no plans to port it considering all the damage control EA is having to do to simply release Sims 4.

But a Mac port would be about 6 months after the Windows release.

And by the way, all computers are PC's. :wink:
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.