Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why "it could come later in a EP" isn't a valid excuse

One of the things I keep seeing in response to the whole pool/toddler issue is. "oh it's a base game, there's not supposed to be a lot of content, it will get put in a EP later"

two things.

1)base games are supposed to have more total content than the last one, sims 2 had more overall content than sims 1, and sims 3 had more overall content than sims 2. yet with 4 we get the same amount of content as sims 3, arguably less

2)Now the fact that it's wrong to slice up the base game and sell stuff individually aside. Adding it in an EP later means more resources working on that feature instead of something else. Think of any EP theme, in fact your favorite EP theme. Now imagine some cool feature you would love to see the EP have that would be awesome for you. Well too bad you can't have it since they had to spend time working on adding back in toddlers or pools.

That's why "it's coming in an EP" isn't a valid excuse

Comments

• Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    edited July 2014
    simsace wrote:
    One of the things I keep seeing in response to the whole pool/toddler issue is. "oh it's a base game, there's not supposed to be a lot of content, it will get put in a EP later"

two things.

1)base games are supposed to have more total content than the last one, sims 2 had more overall content than sims 1, and sims 3 had more overall content than sims 2. yet with 4 we get the same amount of content as sims 3, arguably less

2)Now the fact that it's wrong to slice up the base game and sell stuff individually aside. Adding it in an EP later means more resources working on that feature instead of something else. Think of any EP theme, in fact your favorite EP theme. Now imagine some cool feature you would love to see the EP have that would be awesome for you. Well too bad you can't have it since they had to spend time working on adding back in toddlers or pools.

That's why "it's coming in an EP" isn't a valid excuse

Them saying it could come in an EP later just says to me that it could be in the game now. It makes me feel more and more like they took it out to get more money later.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I'm not too hip on the ep thing, at least for the toddlers. I wouldn't mind it for pools if they give us a water park with the big rides and stuff. But not the toddlers. I'm seething about that! :evil: :x :x :x
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    solarfairy77solarfairy77 Posts: 265 Member
    edited July 2014
    It isn't a valid excuse. It just proves to me that the whole removal of Toddlers was a huge money ploy and I am not buying into the BS anymore. All EA needs to do is announce for certain that toddlers will be add in later as a free patch/update and that would calm everything down. That would prove me wrong, but I am pretty sure I am not wrong and they want to weasel as much money as they can from fans of the game. Well this fan has had enough. I want a real base game without having to make a billion micro-transactions in order to do so!
  • Options
    deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 2014
    The sims team has stated on more than one occasion that the Sims 4 base game will be shipping with more content than all other previous Sims games.
    Unless they are flat out lying then the base game will have more content like you just said that it should, also blackPlumbob is right that the sims 3 base game really didn't have more content than the sims 2 base game.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2014
    deibreak wrote:
    The sims team has stated on more than one occasion that the Sims 4 base game will be shipping with more content than all other previous Sims games.
    Unless they are flat out lying then the base game will have more content like you just said that it should, also blackPlumbob is right that the sims 3 base game really didn't have more content than the sims 2 base game.

Of course they are most likely lying or stretching the truth. Maybe by "more content" they mean lots of chairs. It's not like EA hasn't lied to us before. Remember back when toddlers were confirmed as being in the base game? That was a flat out lie.
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited July 2014
    The actual problem is not any of those.
    The problem is that stuff that comes in EPs hardly ever have any connection with stuff that come on other EPs. And when they do, it is a really tiny, really insignificant connection.

That means that if toddlers come in an EP, they won't have many interactions (if any) with pets, weather, magic or whatever they put in other EPs. Unless, of course, they change this pattern for TS4, but looking at what is being delivered I seriously doubt that. I think we will hear a lot of "there was no time", "we had to make choices" and "things change" on the next few years.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    edited July 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    deibreak wrote:

Of course they are most likely lying or stretching the truth. Maybe by "more content" they mean lots of chairs. It's not like EA hasn't lied to us before. Remember back when toddlers were confirmed as being in the base game? That was a flat out lie.

I think they mean decorative objects. I have noticed a lot in the videos and pictures. There will probably be a lot of decorations and a few couches, chairs, etc.
  • Options
    deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 2014
    Dearra95 wrote:
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    deibreak wrote:

I think they mean decorative objects. I have noticed a lot in the videos and pictures. There will probably be a lot of decorations and a few couches, chairs, etc.

I am aware of that, but it also wasn't a flat out lie or truth stretching. When they told us that it was in the very beginning of development, toddlers where supposed to be in game but were a cut that had to be made during development. I do hope that in the future they don't state things without a 100% knowledge that it will be in game.

There is no real way of knowing how much of what content will be in game until we play it, I am just simply repeating what the sims team has said recently about the amount of content. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put it past EA to stretch the truth, or even lie(I am talking about EA here not maxis).

I am just hopeful and optimistic about this game because I won't go back to ts3, I don't enjoy it anymore and there are more pro's then con's for me with this game. Everyone's play style is different and these cuts don't affect my style of play. I still haven't pre-ordered yet because I want to actually see the game in action which thank God we finally will in the next two weeks. I really hope that when they say more content it means all around.
  • Options
    McWolfMcWolf Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry but the Sims 3 Base Game did NOT have more content than the Sims 2 Base Game.

We had some large features (open world, CASt) but it felt like because of these we had to miss out on a lot of content and shortcuts were taken.

The base game was missing instruments, proper weddings, bathing and changing toddlers and babies, clothing and grocery stores and hot tubs. And then there were the shortcuts - no animations for cars, rabbitholes, many interactions sharing the same animations or being directly brought over from TS2.

Wow, I forgot how much Sims 3 was missing from The Sims 2. It's definitely less significant than what's missing in TS4 though.

On the topic of EPs, I think there's a good chance EA will continue to do the 3 EPs per year as oppose to the traditional 2 method they've done over the past couple of years. At least if TS4 isn't a flop.

That was you'll get EPs bringing back base game content as well as your favourite EPs and the more abstract ones.

I think Toddlers will be included in a Generations EP. I can't see an EP entirely dedicated to toddlers. Swimming pools even less so - I see them being put in a Seasons or Vacation EP. So I don't think we'll have expansion packs "wasted" on themes which should have been in the base game somehow.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think there would be a huge backlash if EA tried to offer Toddlers as an EP. Most people won't want to pay for it. For that reason, I don't see them even trying to offer it. We'll never see toddlers in Sims 4.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited July 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    I think there would be a huge backlash if EA tried to offer Toddlers as an EP. Most people won't want to pay for it. For that reason, I don't see them even trying to offer it. We'll never see toddlers in Sims 4.

I have learned one thing as a long time customer of EA. Never say never when you are talking about them, they will always make you eat your words.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:

I believe you would be correct, sadly. For some reason I am under the impression same they just will not add them to be honest.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    xladyjxladyj Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2014
    TS4 supposedly has the most content out of any base game, yet by "more content" they probably just mean hundreds of different chairs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    xladyj wrote:
    TS4 supposedly has the most content out of any base game, yet by "more content" they probably just mean hundreds of different chairs.

The "Chair" addition. lol
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm going to step out on a limb and say players who are expecting toddlers to show up in expansions are going to be highly disappointed. It's just dev spin to coax you to buy the game. Kind of like that bad date, you know you aren't going to call the guy but to make him feel better you tell him you will lol.

Anyway if the game was never programmed for the life stages in the base game it would be difficult later on to add them. Graham says otherwise but im calling bs on that. They couldn't even go in and alter babies for sims to add them in with legs and arms without breaking the game so why people think for a recycled sims 4 game from online it's possible to do the same for toddlers I have no idea.

Remember adding a lifestage means over adding to the base game an entirely new set of animations, interactions, content, routing, etc. If they removed them it's because they never had them to begin with and never planned on addint them in. Grant was the liar. If they were adding them but ran out of time than Rachel is the liar. One of these two are not being honest. I'm going to go with Rachel as they never intended toddlers to be in the game or babies or any other life stage. sims online was strictly for adults and that was it. When that flopped they rushed to add in what life stages they could quickly copy code in. Because toddlers require more coding and interactions than teens would have, etc they got the axe. Time was truly the problem yes. However what should have never been done was the online in the first place.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anavastia wrote:
    I'm going to step out on a limb and say players who are expecting toddlers to show up in expansions are going to be highly disappointed. It's just dev spin to coax you to buy the game. Kind of like that bad date, you know you aren't going to call the guy but to make him feel better you tell him you will lol.

Anyway if the game was never programmed for the life stages in the base game it would be difficult later on to add them. Graham says otherwise but im calling bs on that. They couldn't even go in and alter babies for sims to add them in with legs and arms without breaking the game so why people think for a recycled sims 4 game from online it's possible to do the same for toddlers I have no idea.

Remember adding a lifestage means over adding to the base game an entirely new set of animations, interactions, content, routing, etc. If they removed them it's because they never had them to begin with and never planned on addint them in. Grant was the liar. If they were adding them but ran out of time than Rachel is the liar. One of these two are not being honest. I'm going to go with Rachel as they never intended toddlers to be in the game or babies or any other life stage. sims online was strictly for adults and that was it. When that flopped they rushed to add in what life stages they could quickly copy code in. Because toddlers require more coding and interactions than teens would have, etc they got the axe. Time was truly the problem yes. However what should have never been done was the online in the first place.

I agree and what you say is true.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Anavastia wrote:

This is likely the reason why. smh
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    xladyj wrote:

Someone in EA has a really weird chair obsession but who am I to judge? I have a shoe one! Although, too many chairs is just creepy... *shivers*

Base games need the foundations of AWESOME to be AWESOME... If something smells, covering it up won't do any good~ my kitties taught me that one :wink:
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry but the Sims 3 Base Game did NOT have more content than the Sims 2 Base Game.

We had some large features (open world, CASt) but it felt like because of these we had to miss out on a lot of content and shortcuts were taken.

The base game was missing instruments, proper weddings, bathing and changing toddlers and babies, clothing and grocery stores and hot tubs. And then there were the shortcuts - no animations for cars, rabbitholes, many interactions sharing the same animations or being directly brought over from TS2.

Right specially the animations there are so many animations that were copied from the Sims 2 to 3.