Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW RENDER: I spy with my little eye... an age gapped, interracial, POLYGAMIST couple?

Pride.png

This is the image that EA released for Pride Month, if I'm not mistaken.

Couple one: a heterosexual couple with a baby (first baby pic - woo!)
Couple two: a gay couple
Couple three: a lesbian couple with a child
Couple four: ... A mishmash of every type of "taboo" relationship?

I'm not quite sure what they're trying to show here. Is polygamy going to be a thing in S4? Is it just a group of friends? A single dad of a lesbian?

Don't get me wrong - if it's a polygamist relationship, I'm all for that! I love the idea of EA including more ways to make The Sims real and diverse. (also, I'm the worlds biggest Sister Wives fan... but don't get me started on that)

If it isn't anything I've listed above or something else innocent, could it represent cheating? If so, I would take strong offense to this. Cheating on your partner is WRONG. Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, whatever else is not. It's just plain insulting to the LGBTQ community if EA is implying that unfaithful people are on the same level as them. I doubt that's what this is, but I do have a bit of doubt.

What does it look like to you guys? What do you think about my interpretation?

Comments

• Options
    Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think the older man with the two woman on the right in my eyes.

is a father with his daughter (next to him) and HER girlfriend :)
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2014
    Linnyxx17 wrote:

/\/\

This :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I think they're trying to depict bisexual sims but it's a bit difficult in a picture. I don't necessarily think it's a polyamorous thing. Not sure about the age gap tough, they could just have made all three of them old, seeing as there are elderly LGBT people too. :P
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well i suppose this could be seen in many ways,depending on how your mind works.

Im glad to finally see a picture of the *babies* so they are much closer to a sims 2 version (which i am liking very much)

This can be seen as just a legacy family or a poly one.
    I personally would play both if this was the case. As far as interpretation goes,that is also up to the person as we all know,we can all see things from different views. thats what makes us who we are and unique. As with the LGBTQ part,i have no real thoughts on this as i play any and all types of sims. IF this is the way EA is going then i say bravo and if not,thats good to as long as my play style is not altered by force. So i feel that if this IS a poly image,i am all for it as my play style is very open and fluid.

Edited-

Also is it just me or does one seem pregnant?
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    Linnyxx17 wrote:

This is unlikely. It doesn't fit with the progression of the image

If they really wanted a proud father why add an entire extra lesbian couple rather than adding the father with the gay or lesbian couple already there.

More likely it represents bisexuality with the girl in the center being in a relationship both with the guy to her right and the girl to her left.

This makes more sense as straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual (representing the four primary romantic relationship types in the game) makes more sense for an image than straight, gay, lesbian, lesbian with supportive father.
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:

If they really wanted a proud father why add an entire extra lesbian couple rather than adding the father with the gay or lesbian couple already there.

More likely it represents bisexuality with the girl in the center being in a relationship both with the guy to her right and the girl to her left.

This makes more sense as straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual (representing the four primary romantic relationship types in the game) makes more sense for an image than straight, gay, lesbian, lesbian with supportive father.

The older guy and the girl standing next to him have the same nose...
  • Options
    RoyallyPerfectRoyallyPerfect Posts: 96 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Well i suppose this could be seen in many ways,depending on how your mind works.

Im glad to finally see a picture of the *babies* so they are much closer to a sims 2 version (which i am liking very much)

I personally would play both if this was the case.

Edited-

The baby looks really flat to me, like some color with a face dabbed on. It's a lot better than TS3, but I think they could have done much better. Also, the baby seems a bit large to me, not quite a newborn. I think it looks like something that a Sims 3 baby would age up into before becoming a toddler (or elder, whatever EA thinks is the next step after babyhood).

Also terrifying, the female sim in yellow. There's something off about her face...

As for the "pregnant" sim, as we can see from the CAS trailers, a bit of pudge on a sim automatically makes it look pregnant. Another thing, how could she get pregnant? In real life, artificial insemination is quite common, but if the Sims included it, it would bump up the rating for mentioning "genetic material" if you know what I mean.

It's probably not a polygamous couple, but that's the first thing I thought and I got excited. *sigh*
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    lol, I like your polygamy theory. I am the spawn of polygamists myself. NOT THAT I WANT THAT IN THE GAME. I'm just saying, it's funny if EA unintentionally added a polygamist family, because WHOOPS.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:

This is my problem with the family argument. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the image.

Also, purple is the color for bisexual pride...

EDIT: Here's the bisexual pride flag. Blue represents liking boys, pink represents liking girls, and the shades in between are different levels of bisexuality.

Bi-flag_new.gif

... and they're wearing purple.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    lol, I like your polygamy theory. I am the spawn of polygamists myself. NOT THAT I WANT THAT IN THE GAME. I'm just saying, it's funny if EA unintentionally added a polygamist family, because WHOOPS.

If the lady in the middle really is with both the man and woman, I'd rather it be a polygamist relationship than just her cheating on her girl/boyfriend. That portrays bisexuals in a bad light, I believe.
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014

I personally would play both if this was the case.

Edited-

The baby looks really flat to me, like some color with a face dabbed on. It's a lot better than TS3, but I think they could have done much better. Also, the baby seems a bit large to me, not quite a newborn. I think it looks like something that a Sims 3 baby would age up into before becoming a toddler (or elder, whatever EA thinks is the next step after babyhood).

Also terrifying, the female sim in yellow. There's something off about her face...

As for the "pregnant" sim, as we can see from the CAS trailers, a bit of pudge on a sim automatically makes it look pregnant. Another thing, how could she get pregnant? In real life, artificial insemination is quite common, but if the Sims included it, it would bump up the rating for mentioning "genetic material" if you know what I mean.

It's probably not a polygamous couple, but that's the first thing I thought and I got excited. *sigh*

Hmm indeed i can see what you mean about the baby size. it can make one assume. and we all know that (well real life right?) a female sim can get pregnant from a male sim so *shrugs* if nothing else then a one night stand (try for a baby) could work too (since you can have friends with benefits). i do hope for the poly play,that would be very awesome.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Also considering the entire point of the render is pride of sexuality why would they leave out bisexuals especially considering they are represented in the game.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    Also, purple is the color for bisexual pride...

Yeah, although, if you look at the picture, the couple on the left starts with the man who is wearing red, then the group progresses through all the colors of the rainbow until you see violet at the other end. I think their intention was to make the rainbow flag, more than representing bisexuality through color. Although maybe that was just a happy, nuanced accident.

At any rate, good call on noticing the different couples, because I was too focused on the baby to even really look at anyone else, lol.
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    With all the focus in the world on Heterosexuality, Homosexuality, and Bisexuality, where do people like myself fit in, who choose not to date, marry, or have children with ANYONE regardless of gender? If you don't date, it's seen as not normal, if you don't marry, people think there's something wrong with you, and if you don't want kids, you're a horrible person. When I was in high school, kids told me I was going to die alone if I never got married. They said if I didn't have kids I would get lonely later in life. But I don't like kids. At all. I'm 28 now and perfectly happy with my life choice. I have never dated, and don't regret it. I found out in my teens that I couldn't ever have children, and I was happy with that. Still am. I wish sometimes that the "single life" was represented in a different way other than it is in the movies, with lonliness and people thinking single people like to party constantly. Sometimes, people just want to be single.

I have my three toy poodles and that's enough for me. They're basically my "kids". :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Also considering the entire point of the render is pride of sexuality why would they leave out bisexuals especially considering they are represented in the game.

All sims are inherently bisexual, and they don't need to cheat to show it. Maybe it started out as an innocent idea (also, adding age gapped relationships is another level of pride and acceptance) but they was they're portraying the "bisexual" couple, if that's what it is, makes me very uncomfortable.

It's a common stereotype that bisexuals are likely to be promiscuous, and I don't like the idea of any stereotypes being enforced by cartoon characters!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    With all the focus in the world on Heterosexuality, Homosexuality, and Bisexuality, where do people like myself fit in, who choose not to date, marry, or have children with ANYONE regardless of gender? If you don't date, it's seen as not normal, if you don't marry, people think there's something wrong with you, and if you don't want kids, you're a horrible person. When I was in high school, kids told me I was going to die alone if I never got married. They said if I didn't have kids I would get lonely later in life. But I don't like kids. At all. I'm 28 now and perfectly happy with my life choice. I have never dated, and don't regret it. I found out in my teens that I couldn't ever have children, and I was happy with that. Still am. I wish sometimes that the "single life" was represented in a different way other than it is in the movies, with lonliness and people thinking single people like to party constantly. Sometimes, people just want to be single.

I have my three toy poodles and that's enough for me. They're basically my "kids". :D

Kudos to you! I think asexuality/aromance is vastly underrepresented. I think they might have wanted to avoid adding more stereotypes than the one about bisexuals. If they had a stereotypical "lonely old cat woman," I would view that as very insulting. I think it would be hard to convey asexuality/aromance in a render like this.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Simple fact of life, no matter what you choose there will be people out there who will judge you or degrade you for it. Just ignore them, as long as your happy with your life that's all that matters.

Also I believe the term where you would fit is asexual.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

All sims are inherently bisexual, and they don't need to cheat to show it. Maybe it started out as an innocent idea (also, adding age gapped relationships is another level of pride and acceptance) but they was they're portraying the "bisexual" couple, if that's what it is, makes me very uncomfortable.

It's a common stereotype that bisexuals are likely to be promiscuous, and I don't like the idea of any stereotypes being enforced by cartoon characters!

I don't think they are saying bisexuals are cheaters. I think it's just a matter that there isn't any other real way to portray it within the frame of this image. Showing the girl with a guy and another girl is simply to represent that she is interested in both genders, not to imply she is promiscuous.
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kudos to you! I think asexuality/aromance is vastly underrepresented. I think they might have wanted to avoid adding more stereotypes than the one about bisexuals. If they had a stereotypical "lonely old cat woman," I would view that as very insulting. I think it would be hard to convey asexuality/aromance in a render like this.
    Simple fact of life, no matter what you choose there will be people out there who will judge you or degrade you for it. Just ignore them, as long as your happy with your life that's all that matters.

Also I believe the term where you would fit is asexual.

Thanks guys! Everyone in my life now understands my life choices, but when I was younger I always got the "you'll change your mind" speech from other kids my age. I'm disabled, so I have other things to worry about in life and I think everyone I know understands that really well. I just brushed off the comments because it's my life, my choice, as their lives were their choice. :)

I was teased a lot because I was so shy and I didn't dress 'cool' like everyone else...and then I was called "********" when they found out I rode the handicapped bus to school. That was seventh grade, and the pinnacle of the teasing I endured. I vowed then to never let any of their words bother me, and it was a struggle to get to the point where I could ignore them. By my sophomore year in high school, kids left me alone. I was relieved.

When I made my Simself I just used the Dislikes Children trait and the other one where the Sim isn't romantic? I can't remember what it is. So yeah, it's actually pretty easy to play out my scenario in Sims without going out and labeling or stereotyping it. I know there are others out there who feel the same way as I do, and it's good to know I'm not "abnormal". Thanks for the support and understanding!