Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Depth Pros and Cons

Oh gosh I'm making a post... I've never posted in these forums until The Sims 4 section. I just wanted to make an in-depth pros and cons list. I guess I'm bored. It's pretty long as you can tell.

PROS:

CAS: I know it's all they've shown us, but it really is something special. I've never seen ethnicities better represented in any Sims game, and I really like that. On top of that, obviously the push and pull feautures. Pants can also be tucked into boots, which I'll love, and the biggest and best catalog of clothes any Sims base game has ever had. Sadly no makeup opacity or eyelash length. You also may be limited if you want hair highlights. There is also no maternity wear, more wrinkles, and walking styles.

Emotions: It's another thing they've talked about a lot, but it's also something really special. The Sims 3 feels so bland to me. There's never any conflict or interesting emotional choices made by the A.I. My Sims are constantly elated, even if they just had a huge fight with their spouse. In fact, they can even woohoo within the next few minutes of a huge fight. It's just not realistic. Of course, we don't know if these emotions will be good or not, but it seems they've poured a lot of time into them.

Clubs and Mixology: I'm fairly certain it's been confirmed that we have both clubs and mixology in the base game. We've never had a base game with those, and it makes me happy because the wait for a night life expansion pack is always pretty annoying. On top of that, it can be inferred that they will be more populated due to the new loading system and townies. I have a great computer, but my clubs are always empty in The Sims 3. Even hotspots.

Better Routing: They've already said that sims can now walk around each other and that we won't see them tapping their foot for 30 in-game minutes. Sims can also pass each other on stairwells. There should also be less lag because sims in other neighborhoods and lots won't be moving around and running into routing issues. Only the ones on your lot and in your immediate area.

Multi-Tasking: For the first time ever, Sims will actually multi-task. Honestly, the fact that my sims couldn't cuddle and watch TV at the same time was ridiculous. I think it's going to lend well to more emotional gameplay.

Aging: It's a small choice, but you can choose which households to age. You can play like The Sims 3 or like The Sims 2.

Objects: They said that this game has the most objects to ever come with a Sims base game. I'm not sure how many, but if that's true, that's pretty cool.

Museum: I don't know much about it, but I hear there's a museum community lot. It's something new and sounds interesting.

Careers: We still have basic careers, and one new confirmed career: Stand-up comedian. I think that's a really cool career to have in the base game.

Breastfeeding: For those of you interested in that... I suppose. It's blurred though.

MEH:

Semi-Open Small World: This on it's own has pros and cons. It really depends on your personal take on it. It's more open than The Sims 2, but less so than The Sims 3. It is also larger than The Sims 2 but less so than The Sims 3. There are loading times, which are rumored to be quick. Although the world/neighborhoods are small, we can visit every neighborhood of every world. We can't place lots in the base game, so it may be small, but within just a few months we'll probably have a pretty decently sized world, especially if modders can add more lots or a CAW tool is released. Theoretically, this should also lead to more lively enviroments. The main downsides are the load times and lack of ability to edit public spaces or place lots.

Build Mode: I put build mode here because it seems to be a pro for the casual user but more a con for the seasoned builder. It's much easier to use. Wall heights can be changed, rooms can be moved, and foundation heights can be changed as well. Windows can also have different heights. There are also nice curved fences and easy to add friezes. Unfortunately, there are no terrain tools which in turn means no CFE. The whole floor also needs to be on the same level of foundation.

Teen Height: Teen height is also really a matter of preference. Besides the obvious reasons behind the height such as time constraints (At least the age still exists </3), it isn't a bad thing per say. A lot of the teens I know (15-18) are just about as tall as adults. Them using the same animations as adults will also make it easy on people who like certain mods I won't mention nor have used. There should also be less clothing limitations on them, considering they would use the same clothes as adults. They say that teens look more youthful, but it's something that will just have to be seen to be known.

CONS:

Cast: We've known from the start that cast is no longer in the game. It's very sad, but there seems to be a decent selection of colors for everything. I'm not saying we should have to, but there will always be mods for recolors if needed.

Three Traits: Pretty self explanatory. You get a fourth from your aspiration. It's a pretty small number of traits, but hopefully they will really be definitive and we will see interesting situations arise from them.

No Weather/Pets: Gosh, I feel sorry for anyone who expected this. They've never included them in a base game. It just doesn't happen, nor did they ever say it would come in this one.

No Swimming: In general, there is no swimming in the base game. No oceans, no pools, no hot tubs. It's sad, but I'm not sure who really swam all the time in their games anyway. They mentioned a fountain tool for water features for builders. I can also guess that these will definitely be added in at some point, but not for free.

No Toddlers: The current thing everyone is raging about. It's also pretty self explanatory. Babies age up into children, and it's sad. In fact, the removal of this life stage is probably one of the biggest things that will hurt this game, along with the lack of cast. I really think they will be included in a free patch though. A lot of people are making immediate assumptions that we will have to pay for them, but even EA wouldn't do that.

Rushed Game: It's pretty obvious that some areas of the game are rushed from the whole project Olympus thing that was going on or whatever. I think that they did put a lot of time into Young Adult and Adult sims. They will probably be fun to play. I'm sure there are some nice things for teenagers and children, but we might not see good generational/family gameplay until later on.

No Cars/Apartments/What Have You: It's pretty obvious there aren't cars or apartments. There are no garages, and nothing has been said about cars. I think apartments were confirmed as not being in as well. I'm sure both will be added in at some point, most likely as an expansion.

If you actually sat and read all this, I commend you so much. If I forgot anything, let me know. Feel free to leave your thoughts below too, hoever happy or rage-filled they are.

Comments

• Options
    TayfasaTayfasa Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2014
    Curious.

What language will they speak in sims 4?
    Continued Simlish, or English.
    I am confused with all the mixed posts
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2014
    For you pros I agree with CAS, it's an amazing feature, and I would love a demo. I think emotions are overdone, and for the rest I don't think we've really seen enough.

Also this is a pretty accurate con list :(

No pools
    No toddlers
    No create a style (CAST) AND NOT TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE IN FUTURE EXPANSION
    No garages
    No gardeners (who is going to cut my lawn?)
    No basements
    No cars (or limited as décor)
    No visible jobs/schools
    No modifications to public places/parks
    No favorites (food, color, music)
    No turn ons / turn offs
    No swimming / swimwear, period. Including lakes, fountains, etc.
    No rabbit holes at all (sadly the fix was the sim goes off screen instead of fixing it so the locations were working lots)
    No private schools
    Fewer floors/levels
    Incompatible simpoint currency
    32-bit executable (one of many unnecessary (Intel has not sold 32-bit processors in like 7+ years?!?!?) and poor design decisions).
    Loading screens (likely due to the issue above)
    Much smaller "worlds" (although they can be connected somehow with DLC)
    Teens are same height as adults and they along with elders all look nearly identical.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    Hegemon2222Hegemon2222 Posts: 300 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I've never seen ethnicities better represented in any Sims game, and I really like that.

I'm really glad you mentioned this one, especially. I'm already thinking of a Legacy game to play in the Sims 4 focusing on interracial marriages. The rules will be that the founder Sim, and all heirs afterwards, have to marry a completely different-looking Sim. I think it will be a fun little challenge, and I can't wait to hear more about genetics. :D

Loved your post. Very positive and realistic. I hope they add toddlers back for free, too, but if not, I will pay for them in an expansion.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2014
    A lot of people are making immediate assumptions that we will have to pay for them, but even EA wouldn't do that.

All EA care about is money, so yes unfortunately they would probably stoop that low. :(
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    TayfasaTayfasa Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2014
    That wasn't too much to read once I got into it.
    When I read the pets, my heart stopped though :(
    BUT, thankfully I wasn't ignorant and kept reading.

Im glad they didn't add pets in the base game, it's
    my favorite expansion, but sometimes I like switching back
    to sims 3 base to avoid the temptation of getting caught up
    in them lol
  • Options
    GrapefruitdreamsGrapefruitdreams Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:
    For you pros I agree with CAS, it's an amazing feature, and I would love a demo. I think emotions are overdone, and for the rest I don't think we've really seen enough.

No pools
    No toddlers
    No garages
    No basements
    No visible jobs/schools
    No turn ons / turn offs
    No rabbit holes at all (sadly the fix was the sim goes off screen instead of fixing it so the locations were working lots)
    No private schools
    Fewer floors/levels
    32-bit executable (one of many unnecessary (Intel has not sold 32-bit processors in like 7+ years?!?!?) and poor design decisions).
    Teens are same height as adults and they along with elders all look nearly identical.
    I already mentioned most of this. :o If you read... I didn't mention basements or favorites though. Basements haven't been in base games before. I think they'll be added in at some point. Favorites never did anything. Who need gardeners? People asked for no rabbit holes? I mean, I preferred rabbit holes over just leaving the world, but it's all the same really. Private schools were never confirmed or in The Sims 3. Obviously simpoints from 3 won't work with 4. No company would do that. Do you even know what 32-bit is? Either way, this looks like it was copy pasted negatively without even reading my post. I know it's long but... At least read before commenting.
  • Options
    nyancat23nyancat23 Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I am really upset about the generational gameplay. That's all I've ever wanted was cute family moments and the ablity to build bug famies with multiple generations. I liked it in the Sims three though I wanted more, I was hoping the Sims 4 would blow me away with each stage of life. But I can see that they really put a lot time into adult stages which I don't understand :/ oh well. The pros of the game have me still excited though :)
  • Options
    howahkan319howahkan319 Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'll make mine!

Cons

-No toddlers. An entire life-stage being taken out of my game. A life-stage that I loved. :(

-No pools, that's so weird. Idk, I hardly used them but it's weird.

-No color wheel for hair and eyes.

-No CAST. I didn't use it much, but still. I LIKED having the option, but I could do without.

-Hardly any information, no unscripted game play yet.

-No terrain tools.

-No basements.

Pros

-Racially diverse sims.

-Easy build and buy mode for people like me who can't build to save their life.

-More family interactions.

-More fluid sims.

-NO MORE STOMP CIRCLE STOMP YELL CIRCLE STOP CANCEL ACTION *KILL SIM IN A FIT OF RAGE*

-Closed world (don't hurt me :cry: )

-Spaceships

-bars and clubs

-more fashion and hair content

-TATTOOS!

-CAS looks amazing

-New careers

• Options
    BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited June 2014
    The biggest pro is that it is not a remake of TS3. We have that product and do not need another one. Nothing is really missing from the base game because it is a new game. Sure there were project constraints that resulted in a few things being chopped but nothing that will make it unplayable.

The biggest con is the failed MMO project and the mad dash to recover. I have a feeling that the early-adopters are going to be alpha testers because this game might be only held together with baling wire and duct tape.

I have made my decision to pre-order. When it is first released it needs to have feedback from seasoned players to help shape it in the years to come. Feedback from actual players will be much more valuable than a forum full of people who are refusing to buy because of toddlers or some such.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    I was gonna make a thread like this too but I've never made a thread before haha. But here's my list:

Pros:
    CAS for the push and pull method
    Different facial ethnicities (sims from all around the world)
    The whole build mode
    Emotions and smarter sims (supposedly)
    Better routing (supposedly)
    Breastfeeding (but can only do it while standing)
    Teens can have the "talk" with parents
    Walking styles
    Can give wrinkles to sims
    No more maternity wear for pregnant sims
    Better genetics
    Multitasking

Cons:
    No Create A Style
    No color wheel
    No complete open world/loading screens
    Jobs are offscreen (disappearing off the edge and come back)
    Teens are the same height as adults
    No toddlers
    No pools (pools have been part of base game since Sims 1)
    Tram is only a decor
    No opacity slider for makeup
    No skin tone slider
    Can only choose 3 traits from the start
    Can't choose length of eyelashes
    No clothes shopping
    Cellphones are attached to every sim again
    No more woohoo skill
    No favorite food, music, color
    No zodiac signs (granted that didn't come until the Late Night EP)
    No swimwear (because no pools which also means no swimming in ocean)
    Can't hire gardeners (I heard there's like a town gardener or something)
    Only CERTAIN hairstyles can be given highlights
    Only 32 bit (most people in this day and age I think have a 64 bit system)

That's all I can think of so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I didn't know about the lack of opacity sliders and zodiac signs. Sad, but I'm guessing it won't be a huge deal. Some of the things on the cons list are really small things. I respect them nonetheless, but some really won't affect gameplay all that much. I mean, cellphones attached to Sims as a con? Are we really putting that down as a con now? I really can't imagine that it's that exciting to get one from a cell phone kiosk like in The Sims 2. I also respect their lack of a woohoo skill for fear it would raise the age rating. Once all the small cons are stripped away, there are about an equal number of pros and cons. Whether you like the game will probably depend on your playstyle. People who like making sims, mainly playing adults with some family experiences here and there, or builders will probably like it the most.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is an excellent thread. This is why I started coming to the Sims4 forums. I'm curious to know more about this new incarnation of the Sims franchise. I didn't start playing Sims until Sims2 and even then Uni was out already. Previously, I wasn't too into the notion of playing PC games. I barely played console games with my children and then it was simply to interact with them doing something they liked to do. The games bored me to death, I'm sorry to say.

I made the leap to Sims3, although I was a tad dubious. Seems as if all the devs could or would talk about was the new Open World, and the Traits system. (Sounds familiar, right?)

I watched the CAS trailer for Sims4 and I have to say that's definitely a PRO, in my book.

I also found the new intuitive Build Mode intriguing. Another plus.

Limited Open World. Since we were told, or at least it was inferred, that the large Open World was the reason the babies had to be little more than larvae/burrito lumps that basically only cried, peed, or slept, I welcome the limited worlds, with the hope more interactions will be available. I'm going to tentatively list this as a PRO.

Teen Height. I haven't read anywhere (outside of this thread) that you can select the size of the teen, but I do find it odd that they are decidedly shorter than the adults. All teens start out that way, but boys, in particular, can grow by feet, in only a few months. So, starting them taller, isn't a huge thing to me. I'm going to list it as a PRO until I discover otherwise.

Wrinkles. Adding wrinkles, is a plus. I see it as a way to better distinguish the age of a Townie/NPC Sim.

Getting back to the silliness aspect of this game is a sure-fire PRO. I missed the humor from Sims2.

No Zodiak Sign. Why they even kept Zodiak signs in Sims3 was beyond me. It isn't as if the Sims were influenced by these things. Removing them is a PRO for me.

No weather. I never expected weather in a base game. Neutral.

Pools? We'll likely get them later, so I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over this.

Breastfeeding. Where was it disclosed the Sim would have to stand only to do this? :O Obviously, whoever came up with this as an addition to the game are completely clueless. It's far easier and recommended to do this while sitting down comfortably with baby on a pillow, even. :shock: But I love having the option! PRO

White Baby Bottles. It's about time. Will they have the option of "going bad"? PRO

No CASt. At first this was off-putting to me. I use this tool all the time, several times during a gaming session, in fact. I will miss this option. However, as it has been explained, keeping our patterns, colors, etc. causes a lag to the game. So, losing this feature will have to be seen, by me, as a PRO.

Can't place lots. I've not read about this except in this thread. Do you mean we can't place a lot (as in Edit Town) where we could choose from a variety of empty lot sizes? Or do you mean we can't add a lot we've built into a town? Seems counter-intuitive to have such a fine build mode, but not be able to place a lot we've fashioned ourselves.

CONS

No Toddler Stage. This is a major setback in my mind. Losing the interactions for toddlers in Sims3 was a disappointment and something we never really regained. Yes, I preferred the way Sims could read to their toddlers. Far better to snuggle them, and allow the little ones to turn the pages. But anyone who has had a toddler knows about the "terrible twos". They should have kept the "play in the toilet" interaction and maybe added a new twist to it, too. Such as, "let's throw a toy into the toilet" and watch as it clogs up.

I've been interrupted so many times during the writing of this thread, I've lost my line of thinking.

To summarize, I'll just say I've seen many more things that are positive and intriguing about this game than I've seen negative. I'm seriously upset about the lack of toddlers, but have hopes this is just a time-crunch problem and that the devs will add them into the game a.s.a.p. with a patch once they've got all the animation codes completed. I am inclined at this stage of things to go ahead and preorder the base game. I'll give it a try, but if I don't find the PROs outweighing the CONs in the actual game play, then I won't buy any more of this incarnation. I'll likely just go back to Sims3.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    I didn't know about the lack of opacity sliders and zodiac signs. Sad, but I'm guessing it won't be a huge deal. Some of the things on the cons list are really small things. I respect them nonetheless, but some really won't affect gameplay all that much. I mean, cellphones attached to Sims as a con? Are we really putting that down as a con now? I really can't imagine that it's that exciting to get one from a cell phone kiosk like in The Sims 2. I also respect their lack of a woohoo skill for fear it would raise the age rating. Once all the small cons are stripped away, there are about an equal number of pros and cons. Whether you like the game will probably depend on your playstyle. People who like making sims, mainly playing adults with some family experiences here and there, or builders will probably like it the most.

I put the cellphone thing as a con because well not every single person has a cellphone in real life. Both my parents don't have one so if I made them in the game, they would have a cellphone which I would not like. And what if you made a very poor sim and wanted to work their way to the top, and buying them a cellphone in the meantime? And I doubt the woohoo skill would've raised the rating. It was a HIDDEN skill. And some of the cons to me are major like the loading screens. I hated having them in Sims 2 and now I have to wait through them again in Sims 4. That's a step backward to me. And CASt is a major con because creating sims is one of my favorite parts and now all my sims would be wearing almost the same things and there would be no diversity to their clothing or anything. Same with houses. And that to me adds to the gameplay. And no clothes shopping would be a major con because I just loved doing that in Sims 2 and hated how all clothes are available in the Sims 3 straight from the dresser. No toddlers is a major con because that's a whole life stage. Now we'll be going from a baby straight to a child starting their first day of school and that would be way too big of a gap. It depends on your playstyle I guess but for me the cons outweigh the pros.
  • Options
    Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited June 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:

No pools
    No toddlers
    No garages
    No basements
    No visible jobs/schools
    No turn ons / turn offs
    No private schools
    Fewer floors/levels
    Okay I just want to ask, where are you getting "no cars, no garages" from? I have yet to see this confirmed anywhere, so I want to know what website you've gotten this confirmation from.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Moonbarker: Everything that seemed like a major con I put on the list. I still agree, and think no toddlers is a huge removal from the game. I was hoping for clothes shopping a lot actually. I guess I'm used to the system from The Sims 3, so it won't be hard to adjust to the same. I think your sims will be plenty diverse. I think there are lots of clothes with lots of colors, and more be added with each pack, or DLC, or bit of CC you download. It's just unfortunate, because I wish everyone could enjoy this exploration of a new Sims game, but I understand. Hey, if EA ever decides to put toddlers in an expansion pack, I simply won't buy that.

GalacticGal: I didn't mean the old school personality based zodiac signs. In The Sims 3 you could give your sims any zodiac sign with any personality. It's not too important, but as an astrology junkie I liked it.

Longcat123: I'm not much of one for rumors, but it seems incredibly likely that we won't have cars. I feel in this situation it's better to have low expectations, and have it be a nice surprise if they are included. Build mode makes it hard to create garages, and cars haven't been discussed or seen much at all.