Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help building a tent

I can build the base of the tent, however I am having trouble making the roofs of the tents. It seems really complicated any assistance would be fantastic. Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    Innuendo21Innuendo21 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hey, I haven't tried yet but do they work like the greenhouses where you need to put down a ceiling or floorboards first before adding the roof pieces? And also, do you need Move Objects On cheat enabled?
  • Options
    tsbtsb45tsbtsb45 Posts: 543 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm not sure but there's no pieces to cover the whole roofs up.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited June 2014
    Use the post that came with the venue. You can place the roof pieces on top of a column as the tiles will show to place an object on top.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I am having trouble finding the post
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hey hey kids! :D I just finished watching Weealbet's review and he builds a couple of tents. Thought it might be helpful to see tent building in action :lol: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARB3fx0aktg

'Live tent building' *giggles*
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you. I am having so much trouble with this I feel quite embarrassed i bet its only simple to build
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited June 2014
    I figured it out by dragging out all the pieces and fiddling around with them, but I am still going to watch Weealbet's video! More info is always better, plus I love to hear him talk!! :lol: Thanks for the link Cinderelli!!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Can someone thank weelabet on twitter for me he just made one simmer very happy
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yes, please thank Weelabet. I have a question. I was wondering that if you can put columns inside the tent while building to be able to put a roof then cover it with the tent parts? (I hope this is making sense) :oops:
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'll tweet him this link so he can stop by ;) we follow each other :)
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wow, hi guys! I suddenly feel really shy :oops: There are two different styles of sloped roof pieces for the tents. One is meant to be go between the first floor and final roof (like a connection part), while the other is meant to be the "topper". Most roof pieces are like columns so will allow the placement of tiles and roof bits above them.

I'm about to pop in game now to play with the set a bit, I'll take some screen shots and try to explain it a bit better :)

EDIT

Screenshot-613_zps2b854d79.jpg

Here's a simple looking picture showing where each roof bit is supposed to go in terms of floors. The roof pieces (there are two, one curved corner and one straight) which are supposed to go right above the wall pieces (orange) have a bit of a trim on them (purple). There are two more roof pieces which are meant to go above the purple ones (blue). The flat purple piece is used to create a flat looking roof and can be used on top of either the wall pieces or anywhere else you might like the roof to be flat.

Screenshot-614_zps9c204284.jpg

While you don't need a column in place to put roofs over the wall pieces, you will need to use the two story column to build higher than the first set of roof pieces, and a three story column to place the flags on top of the tent, sort of like the cross section above.

Here is another way that the tent pieces can be used to create a larger tent. There are tonnes of columns, but once you are happy with the shape you can delete these without destroying the shape of the tent :)

Screenshot-615_zps97047afd.jpg

Screenshot-616_zps932b9e43.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for going into more detail I'm going to bookmark this page for future use.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cinderellimouse between you and Weealbet I just did a 180 on my decision to wait on getting this set, when next I play my sims will be visiting the big top. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2014
    Weealbet thank you for that, it was super nice of you! I had to figure it all out by putting down the lot and then fiddling around with the tents that are part of the build to see how it was done. Now I am almost done with my "Arabian Nights Oasis" build in Lucky Palms. I used the spa poles from the Serenity Retreat and made the whole tent cream colored for an older and less Circus-y look. It's looking pretty great so far and I am really enjoying the tent kit!
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2014
    Weealbet thank you for that, it was super nice of you! I had to figure it all out by putting down the lot and then fiddling around with the tents that are part of the build to see how it was done. Now I am almost done with my "Arabian Nights Oasis" build in Lucky Palms. I used the spa poles from the Serenity Retreat and made the whole tent cream colored for an older and less Circus-y look. It's looking pretty great so far and I am really enjoying the tent kit!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited June 2014
    Weealbet wrote:
    Here is another way that the tent pieces can be used to create a larger tent. There are tonnes of columns, but once you are happy with the shape you can delete these without destroying the shape of the tent :)

Screenshot-616_zps932b9e43.jpg
    Oh! So glad I came across this thread. I had been trying to build a pretty large tent in TB and was having trouble figuring it out. Thank you for the tips.

I'll probably drop in and watch your video some time too, you always make such helpful tutorials.
  • Options
    ladyolacladyolac Posts: 80 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Hello, yes this is helpful in how to build a tent but don't forget that we have the same problem as the greenhouse, the rain and snow get inside the tent so you have to tile the ceiling. I would very much like Glass tiles. Any idea where they can be found?
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited June 2014
    ladyolac wrote:
    Hello, yes this is helpful in how to build a tent but don't forget that we have the same problem as the greenhouse, the rain and snow get inside the tent so you have to tile the ceiling. I would very much like Glass tiles. Any idea where they can be found?

I think someone found some over at mts a while ago.

for anyone who expected the tent to be water proof the Guru's did say at one point that the tent would not be water/weather proof
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes