The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how are you playing ?

Just curious on what other people do is all. Whenever I start a new game I usually always pick monte vista as my town, make either a fairy/witch, and they are usually in something that is an artistic carrer. Then I sit the age bar at epic and play with them until I get board and make them get pregenet so I can move on with the kid for the next game. :lol:

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,970 Member
    edited April 2014
    I created a family for my main character in a book I was writing. I decided it might be fun to play them in the game. I tried to play them when LN first came out in Bridgeport. But it turned out that town had too many glitches, plus you couldn't have a singer in the band. Once ST came out, however, I decided to play the one brother. At first I had him and his older brother live together (so my singer wouldn't starve) and then abandoned the idea. I restarted with just the singer. Then I quickly learned in order to SimPort, I had to have at least one other Sim in the household. Needless to say, I started over, yet again. I brought back the older brother, the singer, and then their next younger brother. I played this way for a time. Something went wonkers in my game and I was forced to start all over AGAIN.

I decided I wanted their only sister to be part of this mix. I had the three brothers living with her and her hubby and their twin sons toddlers. When uni came out, I sent all of the adults to college. Again, something went wrong. My singer died in a house fire. My game crashed to the desktop.

I've since added mods to stabilize my game.

I decided to begin again. Only this time I thought I'd like to play the entire family. I made their parents and then created the five children from there, four teens and a child. I used the Master Controller mod to put a few Sims days between each teen, so that their birth order was correct. From there as each one became a YA, I used the same mod to give them the skills and the degree from uni. I then married them off to the spouse I CASed just for them. As each marriage happened, I let the new couple move into their own place in the same town. When it came down to the daughter getting married, I had my singer Sim move in with her family so that I had control over the gender and birth order of her children.

Once her last child was born, I decided it was time for my singer Sim to move out on his own. By then his career was fully established. He moved into the house I'd built for him, and I had the spouse I'd created for him move in, too, to avoid any previous messiness. I also use Twallen's Story Progression, so I don't have to worry about the extended family.

I'm having a great time playing with this huge family. It's lots of fun to have my active family 'bump' into their relatives about town. I also (through the mods) have the ability for all of the family to come to a party/holiday celebration. Way cool.

So, basically, that's how I'm playing. And having a blast, too!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited April 2014
    I change it up so drastically every time I start a fresh save. I usually never cheat and adhere to most of Pinstar's rules.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited April 2014
    I don't have a specific way of playing
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've got a town legacy challenge in Winfield and three other legacies about the towns.I've got the link to the town legacy challenge rules in my signature banner.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited April 2014
    I usually play a modified legacy challenge: I don't have the patience for a long lifespan (I have terrible ADD and get bored easily), so I typically start with a premade couple in the town and play on Short lifespan. I hate building, too, so this saves me a lot of boring work.

I also use the game to storyboard for novels I'm working on. I did it in TS2 as well, but the character creation is so much more dynamic in TS3... It's fun putting my characters together and watching them interact. :)

When not doing that, I have a single Sim that I do most everything with. Marian is a character from a novel I wrote~ he has lived in every town, done virtually every available career/degree option, and met all kinds of weird people along the way.

I'm thinking my next move will be to attempt a 100-baby challenge with him... That is, if the lady Sims don't die from exposure to his awesomeness. LOL.

-von
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    edited April 2014
    I have sooo many saves and my playing style has changed over the years. I used to play perfect little families, occasionally adding drama in as I saw fit but I always would play with the same traits, jobs etc and get so bored so fast. I started a legacy a few months ago where I decided each generation I would explore something from an EP I hadn't played before like on the third generation I did the ghost hunter career because that was the only profession I never really played. I also play with premades a lot more than I used to. I just give them a nice little makeover, decide on a story line for them and run with it! :mrgreen:
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    xkaylanicolexxkaylanicolex Posts: 3,760 Member
    edited April 2014
    I play by wishes. The sim's wishes show their personality and develop their story.

I start new games often because I love playing with just one sim. I let them be single as long as possible usually and they only get married if they act like they really like the other sim (rolls lots of wishes for them) though i prefer playing with single parents. My sims always have children because I play legacy style and I need someone to carry on to the next generation.

I don't use the money cheat but I admit I occasionally raise motives with a cheat.

I have lifespans set on 100 days.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2014
    I currently have 4 saved games, one I am playing at the moment my sims are in sunlit tides , he his a life guard and his wife is a writer, trying to do things from island paradise which I have not done yet, they have a daughter.

another is in monte vista and they are in the cooking career so I can do stuff with the wood fire stove.

I always have a few saves so I can swap if I get bored of one, I have a fairy family in moonlight falls and a singer in starlight shores.
  • Options
    LozzomaticLozzomatic Posts: 516 Member
    edited April 2014
    I mostly play legacies, unless I have a new EP I want to test out. Sometimes I get bored of a legacy/ it glitches out and I end up deleting it, but with my current one, I managed to save it from a major bug a while back. They just had their 8th gen possible heir born last night.

Every so often I'll do a goofy little thing where I'll make a daft looking sim, name them something rude or silly and just mess about. I once made a woman Firefighter with huge 'assets' and flame themed hair. I think she was called 'Flaming Melons'.
  • Options
    RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    edited April 2014
    I play by wishes. The sim's wishes show their personality and develop their story.

Ooh I've never been brave enough to play by wishes! I should try it sometime!
    I thought I played a lot of different styles but thinking about it now I usually play the same kind of thing a lot. I've had the same family for about 2 years now who I love, I've expanded them to their extended family and friends so I play those guys sometimes too.

There's so much in the game that I haven't tried yet at all.
  • Options
    ArtisticmissT20ArtisticmissT20 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2014
    I usually make families or roomies that try out different aspects of different expansions that I have, when that is done I just carry on with their family. I am also starting to do challenges and I might do some legacies too :) I have several expansion based saves and a couple challenge saves. Someday I might just do a current household type of thing that is just whatever I want them to be and playing with stuff I like from other expansions.
  • Options
    SimmloveSimmlove Posts: 14 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Looking back on it, I played very unimaginatively, using cheats for money and motives so I'd always start my family off in a nice house with lots of skill-building objects. All my families followed certain patterns--the oldest boy was heir, probably a firefighter or some other interactive profession, and I'd always have certain trait for each kid. If a baby was born with traits I didn't like, I'd change them. Usually my families would start out with two parents. Often one of them would have a sibling, who had a kid. The sibling would go one of two ways: he'd either be a playboy or a normal sim (who I would constantly switch back to in edit mode in order to expand his family). Basically, I was very, very controlling. It's no wonder that I'd lose interest in my saves.

Lately, I've tried to vary my gameplay, though admittedly I haven't been too adventurous/daring--still have problems with control. One of my favorite things to do now is begin a new game and choose one of the families already living in the town. I'll play them for a bit, then jump to another family, play, and continue jumping from family to family. Guiding the destiny of all the town's residents is pretty fun.

I really should try the "adhere to wishes no matter what" mode of gameplay, but...well, I don't really want to make my sims divorce because the mom is going through a mid-life crisis.
  • Options
    kaitlyn527kaitlyn527 Posts: 4
    edited April 2014
    I use cheats most of the time because its boring having my sims work ha ha. I love creating back stories and having them live there dream (Life time wish) but I really never stay with one household and always creating new ones!SimlishGlitter.png
  • Options
    mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited April 2014
    Before I purchased Into The Future (which now my game is absolutely unplayable), I use to start a new town (Riverview or Pleasantview), and mainly build/rebuild the houses. But now, I haven't played in a while.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,908 Member
    edited April 2014
    I create a new (YA) Sim (or two) and decide to play out some new gameplay with them. I will have something in mind like --this Sim is going to get abducted and have an alien baby-- or --this Sim is going to be a tomb exploring photographer--. I usually start them out in a career and they learn a bunch of skills (so that I try them all and I'm always trying new combinations). I TRY to be guided by the Sims wishes...
    Once (A) I achieve what I wanted, (B) something in real life intervenes with my gaming patterns, or (C) the Sim gets to the stage where they have a near-grown child then I stop. I take a small (or sometimes not so small) hiatus and start all over again.

I really must make it a mission to raise a third (second born-in-game) generation!!