The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which expansion should I get?

I'm able to get one new expansion right now. Should I get Supernatural or University Life? I'm torn on which one would add more to my game.

Comments

• Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm not really sure either would add "more", they definitely add different things.

Supernatural is more Victorian and Gothic style clothing, furniture and styles; with werewolves, witches, fairies and a slew of temporary occult states such as Tragic Clowns and Toad-sims. It adds alchemy, a bunch of new harvestables, and some small interactions such as looking for monsters under beds for children. Certain items such as the Claw machine make getting money that much easier, and it adds a new profession and neighborhood to explore.

University life is very much about modern-day college. It has a University town, several Majors that assist with careers or simply add to those things we can achieve for our Sims. Science is now a skill, as is Street Art and Social Networking, which includes some new ways to meet Sims. University Life has more portable entertainment items than I recall seeing in most other expansions, and several people have lauded the Kicky Bag as invaluable. The new lifestate for University Life is the Plant Sim.

I actually have both, and while I haven't sent my Sim to University yet (still doing stuff in the main neighborhood), I'm really looking forward to it. By the same token, some of my favorite items are from Supernatural. You're gonna have to look at how you play, and what you'd enjoy most in the game.
  • Options
    naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    edited March 2014
    To add in my two cents, here are a few things that bothered the heck out of me with University. They might not bother you, but they were driving me crazy. If these didn't happen to you, please do tell me. I wonder if something's wrong with my game.

This expansion, among university life, there is the addition of social cliques/groups. The three are nerd, jock, rebel. The problem for me? Once I joined one, they would constantly autonomously (on their own) try to level up in it. Sometimes, they even somehow joined one on their own (merely TALKING to someone might add to your level)! There are ten levels.
    Even when I LEFT University, they would frequently do things to try to level them up. Enthuse about comic books, use the megaphone, etc. Their wishes would almost constantly be about "Gain a level in rebel," "Participate in a Hunger STrike," and other University related wishes. This happens in a lot of expansions, and I own all of them, but this one is the one that's constantly there.

I'm so tired of my Sim being a nerd (3) / jock ( 8 ) / rebel (level 4), and there seems to be no way to get rid of or opt out of this. She's pregnant, getting married, etc. University Life is over already! Ugh.

I also actually didn't have much to do in the game. I don't know if I'm missing something, but every "college party" I got invited to was the exact same (keg stands and streaking). You had to go to class. Sometimes it's even in a rabbit hole, but there are some lectures you can see. Study at the computer, books, or with people.

Ultimately, the fun wore off fast.

So that this isn't all bad, I did REALLY enjoy the addition of taking a picture with sims. You have different options like "Take a Romantic Photo" and "Take a Photo with friend." You can also be a blogger! The smart phone interface with the different skins, the ability to watch videos, ability to surf internet, etc is invaluable, although I'm not sure this is ONLY in University and not already patched in separately to be in all games.

THe person above me has mentioned the most important additions (imo), but here's a detailed list of other smaller ones: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_3:_University_Life/Detailed_features
  • Options
    taylorrocks7taylorrocks7 Posts: 12
    edited March 2014
    I recommend University life! Its an option for a YA, Adult, and an elder can do after *********** It is so fun! I enjoyed it quite well actually. I pretty much teared up when they graduated! I loved visiting the coffee shop with a friend or going to the comic shop and the bowling alley! The game was quite cute! Also, you can live in a sorority, ect. But make sure you lock your door to your room so noone goes in there and disrupts you! One thing I didnt like was having to clean up after everyone and fixing everything. It got annoying to be honest. Other than that, It was a great game and give your sims a bigger job opportunity in the end! :) I also do recommend late night!
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited March 2014
    I really enjoy UL, and these days I'm sending almost every one of my sims to get a degree. I always want my sims to get high enough on one social group to gain an extra trait (after that I often ignore the groups). You also get one from graduating, so I'm usually playing with sims that have seven traits instead of five. I really like the way the sims have more chance to meet other sims and socialize than in any home world. That's why it's also a great place to build charisma skill :)

But actually... I can't really say, which is better, UL or SN. I probably use UL more, and I've also sent my witch and vampire sims there. Now my vampire has a science degree (she cloned a genie, and now has a genie child), and my witch has a degree in technology.

I have kind of divided playing styles. Sometimes I like to go crazy with supernatural creatures, and sometimes I play with more realistic human sims, with no supernatural creatures allowed. But still, I wouldn't give up either of those EP:s.

So, generally... you can use UL in almost any game. Also some of the clothes can be used on teens, so they add nicely to the otherwise limited number of decent teen clothing. And I LOVE the barista bar that comes with it. You can place it in any venue and it spawns a barista, so you can have a working café. But then, university, even in my games is only a small part of the story. My sims study, they graduate, and possibly the next generation is the next time I actually play in the university world.

Supernatural might have more use. At least you're playing as the creature you choose all the time. And the clothing and items with the EP is very nice too, but some of it is kind of less appropriate for "normal" world. So, if you actually like playing with supernatural creatures, SN might be the thing for you. I really enjoyed playing with my vampire, and now the witch I'm playing with is even more fun. She already knows so many spells :)

I'd say, if you like realistic games, get UL, but if you like to play with supernatural creatures, you should definitely get SN. You could always get UL later.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    ArtisticmissT20ArtisticmissT20 Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2014
    Personally I'd go with University Life. Both expansions add a good amount of content, and sure they might be relative to the expansion theme for the most part, but I feel like University adds slightly more. You don't have to send your sims to University unless you wanted them to go to college for part of the game being more realistic like. University Life also adds new parties and items to the games as well as TRAITS that add new social interactions and it adds abilities to make new venues too, like your own Barista Bar to buy tea, sweets, and energy drinks, or you could make your own Bowling Alley. Might I add they also add new quick meal options via using the microwave or the fridge, a lot more of them :)
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited March 2014
    SN. You can whack werewolves on the nose with a newspaper for being bad. It's the greatest thing ever! :mrgreen: