Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing expansions onto secondary hard-disk?

Hello, my computer has two disks, and I've installed The Sims 3 onto the secondary one. However, whenever I go to install an expansion onto the same disk(by going custom install > local disk(D), I get an error that this action will make the computer unstable.

I can use 'typical' installation and it'll install on the main hardrive, however obviously I don't have enough space for every expansion pack on there, and would rather install it alongside the base game on the secondary one. Does anyone know how to do this? :)

EDIT: I'm using Windows 7, btw.

Comments

• Options
    iMidnightwarrioriMidnightwarrior Posts: 166
    edited March 2013
    This happened to me when I used to play on my laptop. I figured that you cannot install it in that folder, you will be able to install it onto that hard drive but not the folder your trying to install it to. When you click on custom install make sure you click on a folder that has the sims 3 inside of it. Thats what worked for me anyway. I hope you understand what I mean and I hope this helps.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2013
    lets look under the hood...

can u post specs hit windows key + R enter dxdiag run report hit save all info and notepad doc will open copy/paste the whole long report here, thanks!
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

Is the secondary hard disk drive an internal or external unit?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited March 2013
    This is a question I'm going to have soon too as my C drive is too small for me to keep putting more Sims stuff on it. Someone partitioned it when i first got the computer new and I have a tiny C drive partition and a big D drive that has nothing much on it. About more than a TB of free space.

I tend to freak out at the thought of changing the partitions as I have no idea how and have never done it and don't want to have to reinstall my entire PC to solve this problem.

Edit: I don't want an answer here to my problems - just saying I am interested in what you come up with here.
  • Options
    RedMallieRedMallie Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

I hope someone is still monitoring this thread.

Please, I need advice.

I have a PC with two internal SSDs. The main one is a 128Gb drive and the secondary is 256Gb.
    I only had the main one when I started buying The Sims 3 games so I could not customize the installation of the games to any other drive.
    My main SSD is almost full now and since I have understood that it is not recommended to have your OS running in a very full drive, I am trying to find a way to free space on my main drive, so I thought about transfering my EA The Sims 3 games to the secondary SSD.

Is this possible? Would it help free space on my drive?

If this does not free space, would moving my EA folder from within My Documents to the secondary drive do so? In this case, I assume the file could still be read by the system, and I could still play, right?

Or would I have to uninstall all games (I have all base game and EPs except ITF)and then re-install them in the secondary one?

If I have to un-install and re-install my games, what happens with the EA folder within the My Documents folder? Would it be automatically recreated in my secondary drive?

Finally, I have a lot of CC and some mods installed. If the EA folder is moved or recreated in my secondary drive, will the CC and mods need to be placed there as well? In this case, Please, any info on how to save CC would be appreciated. I think I could manage moving mods and CC, but I just don't know where CC is stored within my system as it is.

I really, truly appreciate any advice, information or guidelines any kind reader wish to provide.

Thank you very much,