The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to spice up my game and make it more entertaining?

Hey! So, I am getting bored with making the same perfect looking female Sim over and over. I make a perfect house, get a job, date, find a man, get married, have kids... and then I'm bored to death.

So, any ideas on how to spice up the game and/or get more attached to the Sims that I make?

Any ideas are appreciated!
If you have any stories from your games, feel free to post them! :oops:
svnb6p.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited February 2014
    Find a challenge you like, and stick to the rules. I found one just recently (I have never tried a challenge), and I was in the same situation as you. I just started this challenge, and it is proving to be that...a challenge, but loads of fun:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/728313.page

It's called the "Deal with it Dumpster Game". I highly recommend.
    :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JongarakunJongarakun Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited February 2014
    I feel ya, I fall into that trap all too often. I've found numerous ways to spice up my game though:

Play a randomized sim with very minimal adjustments, if any.
    Choose to live in a dumpy little shack and only expand on it as you make money, no cheating.
    Play some challenges, like Legacy or Cast Away.
    Use traits you've never used before.
    Don't interfere with gameplay too much, just start taking a viewer's perspective. This is especially fun if you have a house with two or more sims and they have conflicting traits. [My favourite sim family was one with a Dramatic, Natural Born Performer, Excitable, and Childish sim living with a Grumpy, Cat Lover, Loner, Good, and Hot Headed sim.]
    Take on jobs you've never finished, or max out skills you've never been interested in.
    Ornery weirdo. My Origin ID is Jongarakun.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    muddypaws4167muddypaws4167 Posts: 2,108 New Member
    edited February 2014
    There are tons of challenges on here, im sure someone has the list bookmarked and can share it with you . I am about to try the dumpster diving challenge. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/728313.page

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2014
    I've got a challenge I'm playing in Winfield called the town legacy challenge and there's a link in my signature banner to the rules and a story based on the challenge.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JessicaB9188JessicaB9188 Posts: 407 Member
    edited February 2014
    The Deal with it Dumpster Game is wonderful! Just finished it myself!

In addition to that one, check out TwitchXK90 on youtube. He has a farming challenge LP that is absolutely wonderful and entertaining. I started my own after that. I am having so much fun!
    JessiBeau Here! :D
    Hop on over to my YouTube Channel if you'd like!
  • Options
    zarahussain4zarahussain4 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited February 2014
    For abit when i started playing i always used to do that but then i got bored, try these things:
    - give them an interesting trait that you dont usually use (like kleptomaniac)
    - try out a career you havnt tried before ( i ALWAYS used to play the culinary career when i started playing)
    - when your sims in a relationship make them cheat on their partner ( or have commitment issues so they have lots of different partners)
    - try getting your sim a skill that you havnt or dont usually use
    - visit or build a fun lot in town for your sim to go to
    - try making up a backstory for your sim ( i always do this as i feel like it gives a sim alot of personality)
    - make your sim look different to your usual sims ( doesnt have to be ugly, but change up their look so if you always give your sims blonde hair, try red hair)
    - start off the game with more sims than usual (like two, three or four sims) all connected with each other in some way but with different personalities
    - if your still bored and feel like your gameplay is limited, try buying an expansion pack or some store content :)
  • Options
    lovints2lovints2 Posts: 3,738 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Some real good ideas in this thread :mrgreen: Thanks
  • Options
    KirstyLKirstyL Posts: 974 Member
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    vebbra99vebbra99 Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2014
    Oh! The "Perfect Sim - Perfect Family" trap... Yeah, I had the same problem when I first started.Try this:

Step one: STOP CHEATING if you do. "Motherlode" and "TestingCheats" have it's side effect to suck all the fun out of your game.

- Make a male sim and try playing it that way, or make your sim different. Not ugly, but don't make'er too perfect. She don't have to look like a super model.

- Don't just settle down! Let her have some fun and meet some guys. It's normal for a girl to have a few boyfriends before she get married. Maybe she's not monogrammed either, she can't be too perfect, you know!

- Expiriment: Try some other lifestyles, here are some ideas for that:
    - Be a badguy, try cheating, joining a criminal career track, steeling and so on.
    - Make your sim romantically interested in sims of it's own gender {Guy/guy or Girl/Girl Relationships} If you just flirt a little with sims of your own gender your sim will automatically take interest in them and you will automatically get romantic attention from them.
    - Be a celebrity, who needs a quiet family life when you can have the love and attention of everyone around you? {Requires Late night}
    - Be Single. {For once} focus on something else...
    - If you do want a family: Make it complicated. Your kids don't need to have the same dad {Your man don't HAVE to know if he's the dad} Have multiple spouses over time and of course: Get some step kids!

And of course my favorite: Multitask like H***! Make her:

- Start a HARD career {Science, Journalism, Law Enforcement, Movie}
    - Get a time stealing hobby {Photo, writing, GARDENING!}
    - Get a baby. { Freeze the age and keep it as a baby}
    - Get in a relationship or two.
    - Do as many side activities as you possibly could. {Join a band for example}
    - Travel a lot {World Adventures}
    - Get a looong education {University life}
    - Be a witch/Fairy etc. {Supernatural}
    - Have a pet {Pets. Try horses.}

Trust me, Do Multitasking like that and you won't have time to get bored. If you lack some expansions that's no problem. But I get mine at origin for rarely more than 20 Dollars. Just Sayin', They're super fun and worth the money. Do some reesearch and find one that fits you!
  • Options
    shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    edited February 2014
    When I get really bored of playing "normal", I make a dog or a cat and move them into a EA household. Then I put the sims on free will while the dog or cat OFF free will. I give them a food bowl of course, and mayyybe sometimes a crate of toys. Then i play as the pet and watch the free will sim roam around with their lives. It's even better if they already have jobs/drama etc.

Sometimes I make a sim teach the dog or cat a hunting skill so they can hunt. Other than that, I get to choose how bad or good the pet behaves, haha. It's very freeing!
  • Options
    ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited February 2014
    come up with a good back story for the sim, that usually helps.
    Is your sim a disowned rich kid who's desperately trying to rise to elite status again?
    Is your sim a formerly abused child or spouse who's having trouble moving on and trusting people again?
    Is your sim a city person who's trying and failing to live in the country? Or vice versa?
    Does your sim have amnesia and is trying to put their memory of their past back together, and maybe they discover that they had a family, or they were targeted by the mafia and got into an "accident", or they were given an experimental drug that wiped their memory....
    Try playing a cast a way sim, start out playing a world such as Isola by RFlong, and pretend your sim washed up there, they then have to wait for rescue or reach certain goals to save them selves and when they do you can move them to a different world where they can fascinate all the sims there with their heroic survival tale.
  • Options
    ArtisticmissT20ArtisticmissT20 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2014
    Seeing as you don't have many expansions, hopefully you'd get some soon :) You can still have a lot of fun doing things posted above, however the more content you add to the game, the more you have to play with and love about your sims, as well as new places to go! Must haves would be expansions like Seasons and Generations, it's nice to have weather and do things that fit the season it is in game, and Generations adds a lot more to do with your family, your perfect little teenage sim in a perfect family can be taught to drive and can make a lot of friends and get prom king/queen for example :). University and Ambitions are also very nice expansions to have, as they add many new places you can add to game and in Ambitions you get to follow your sim to work for most of the new jobs.
  • Options
    DrataniDratani Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2014
    I've never really liked creating the typically "perfect family", so over the years I've found some interesting things to do.

* Create a homeless sim and only make money off of things you find - rocks, flowers etc. I love doing either that or living off of others with a kleptomaniac sim who steals everything.

* The pregnant challenge, which is my favorite challenge. Never have more than one child with a man. Or the opposite; be a male and impregnant the ladies.

* Don't always make a beautiful sim - try making different kind of sims with different background stories. This is especially fun if you have the Supernatural EP. With that EP I love to be a vampire and make the entire town vampires.

* Complete all the life goals.

* When having children, play with the random traits you get. That way, you'll get some pretty interesting characters, and it's a great way to explore all the traits you usually wouldn't choose.
    powerpuff-girls-criminals-costume.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,548 Member
    edited February 2014
    Posted in the wrong thread.
    That's what I get for multiple forum tabs open. :P

I'll come back with some suggestions, but click on my siggy and browse my simming threads, maybe it might inspire a little.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,387 Member
    edited February 2014
    CK213 wrote:
    Posted in the wrong thread.
    That's what I get for multiple forum tabs open. :P

I'll come back with some suggestions, but click on my siggy and browse my simming threads, maybe it might inspire a little.

:lol:

To the OP, I have probably 10 different games going on and the sims are in all different situations. If I get bored playing my "normal" family I switch to my lesbian family who are about to have a baby. After playing them for awhile, I switch to my party girl/lifeguard who has several romantic interests and busy juggling them. The list goes on...don't get stuck in a rut by playing same scenerios all the time. Change up can be fun. (I don't do no cheat games or legacies because I can't stick to the rules.) :P
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    FleeraFleera Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2014
    I've found that my longest gameplay is coming from one sim. My Dr. Who sim game started with me thinking that since he was The Doctor, his lifespan should be static. So I got him the no aging lifetime reward.

Then I thought that he should also know pretty much everything. This got me started working on every skill he could get his hands on. I honestly didn't even think about how long that would take to accomplish. He still has quite a ways to go, but knows so many things.

I allow his other family members to age, while he does not. He has to see everyone pass away as he lives on. It's hard being The Doctor after all. I eventually want him to have a family member of each occult life state.

He will eventually know all the recipes that are available and will grow every plant to the level of perfect. I will have him travel and do as many of the world opportunities as he can. He will fish until he has 10 perfect fish of each kind, so that he can stock his lake with every fish. He will also eventually collect every item that can be collected.

So, as you can see, this game takes a lot of time and effort, but it makes for excellent gameplay.
  • Options
    vebbra99vebbra99 Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2014
    Fleera wrote:
    I've found that my longest gameplay is coming from one sim. My Dr. Who sim game started with me thinking that since he was The Doctor, his lifespan should be static. So I got him the no aging lifetime reward.

Then I thought that he should also know pretty much everything. This got me started working on every skill he could get his hands on. I honestly didn't even think about how long that would take to accomplish. He still has quite a ways to go, but knows so many things.

I allow his other family members to age, while he does not. He has to see everyone pass away as he lives on. It's hard being The Doctor after all. I eventually want him to have a family member of each occult life state.

He will eventually know all the recipes that are available and will grow every plant to the level of perfect. I will have him travel and do as many of the world opportunities as he can. He will fish until he has 10 perfect fish of each kind, so that he can stock his lake with every fish. He will also eventually collect every item that can be collected.

So, as you can see, this game takes a lot of time and effort, but it makes for excellent gameplay.

I've tried this so many times because I love the whole achieving gameplay. But every time it gets interesting, the game get bugged. On one sim, random books started spawning everywhere on the lot and couldn't be sold, another one automatically sold everything he moved or used. The weirdest one, however, started reading sims and woohooing with books. Seriously, I clicked on a sim and it said: "Read Bella Goth" then he picked up the sim and went to read it like a book. When I clicked books "WooHoo" was the only option, then he grabbed the book, went to the closest elevator, did it, then came out and the book were gone... weird.
  • Options
    FleeraFleera Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2014
    Wow, vebbra99, that is a strange set of occurrences! I'm so sorry you've had such issues, as I love playing that way.
  • Options
    snobunnysnobunny Posts: 53 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Like others have said - find a challenge. Or look at the challenges and make up your own. Give yourself rules to follow. I've been trying that to keep from getting bored, and it seems to be working out pretty well.

There are plenty up on the forums. I found some youtube videos that got me interested in the challenges.

Hope you find something that works for you :)
  • Options
    luckydragon3luckydragon3 Posts: 53
    edited February 2014
    Have some witch/wizard and/or alien children and make them fight to the death to see who will be the true heir.

Play the homeless challenge.

Play the baby challenge.

Have a zombie apocalypse!!!
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,091 Member
    edited February 2014
    I like to create characters from movies and play out their stories.Right now I'm doing Homeward Bound.

I also like to reenact historic events, like I have a civil war themed save.