Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Black Screen & Installed Content/Launcher Problems

This is a problem I have had before, and now it's back. After the last update, my game began to quit after maybe twenty minutes of gameplay, and then after five. Now my game refuses to load. The launcher is working, but after I hit play the game gets stuck on the black screen that appears before the intro sequence.

The last time this happened, the cause was the Downloadsims.index in the SavedSims folder. I checked, and this file was not present. I also checked for .tmp files in DCCache folder and there were none. Afterwards I followed the steps in this thread (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658546.page). I came to the conclusion that my saves, cc, mods, etc. are not the problem. When I replaced the new Sims 3 file with my old one the black screen problem came back.

RAM is part of my problem, as I only have 1.82 GB of free memory. Unfortunately I am unable to use Terminal to reset my RAM as I am running Snow Leopard. My computer is pretty old, and it was my dad's before it was mine, so I don't have access to the disk that came with the computer. I've run my game on less space in the past, and while it doesn't run very quickly, the game does load.

I THINK my main problem is the CC that is installed via Launcher and does not appear in my Mods folder. Before I knew how to install package files and such, I got most of my CC from the exchange (it was a stupid decision). Lately I have uninstalled a LOT of it, but my launcher is incredibly finicky. Sometimes I can uninstall large amounts of CC with no problems. More often than not, I go to the Installed Content tab on the launcher and select what I want to uninstall. The second window pops up and is unresponsive, so I have to force quit. I have had this problem for as long as I have used CC. I don't use most off the CC and some of it is corrupt, so if I could get this problem fixed I am hopeful that I will free up enough RAM that my game will run and/or get rid of the corrupt CC that's causing the problem. Is there a way to fix my launcher so I can uninstall the CC I don't use and leave what I do use? If not, is there a way to safely uninstall all the CC from the launcher without actually going through the launcher?

I guess this is really two problems. I'm not the most tech savvy, so if these two things are totally unrelated please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2013
    CC installed via launcher will not appear in the mods folder.

Screen all the CC before you use it, I suggest not getting much.

IF it continues you may just need to reinstall :/