Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Talk About Relationship Bars

I really hope TS4 improves the relationship bars because the one in TS3 is just terrible. In TS2 (maybe 1 too?) the relationship bars were so much better. There was basically the day to day bar and the lifetime bar. It was much more realistic and one of the things that made me hate TS3 sole bar. I mean if I get into a spat with my best friend we don't become acquaintances :? Same with a husband/wife dynamic!Just because they get in a fight doesn't mean they don't love each other, which is why it is crucial to have a lifetime bar.

Another thing is that ALL relationships are neutral!!! :evil: What made relationships enjoyable and comical in TS2 was that I could have a sim who was madly in love with another sim, while the other barely had a crush! Can you say fatal attraction :twisted: !

I really hope the sims 4 takes from the relationships of 2 and 1,and maybe expand from there, because the sole relationship bar in 3 really ruined relationships as a whole for me! What are your thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    livermorelivermore Posts: 53
    edited October 2013
    I totally agree, you also should be able to wooohoo, with random sims and not have them be a love interest... hahaha
    I mean come on... Im pretty sure someone said this before, that the different relationship levels should actually mean something.
    FOR EXAMPLE: if you're married and your husband/wife cheats on you it should be HUGE...or maybe not depending on your traits, maybe they wont care as much if they have commitment issues... idk ANYWAYS, if you have just a crush on someone and that sim is dating around it should be a big deal... in ts3 you would be labeled a cheater.. like really.........
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited October 2013
    Same with a husband/wife dynamic!Just because they get in a fight doesn't mean they don't love each other, which is why it is crucial to have a lifetime bar.

You make a really solid point, and I agree with you. I miss this feature from TS2- and I'm not one of those people who fanatically misses that series.
  • Options
    simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited October 2013
    They've already confirmed that there will be two relationship bars: Friendship and Romance. You can balance them in ways that would make two sims soulmates, or friends-with-woohoo-benefits, among other things :-)

Source: http://simscommunity.net/the-sims-4-leaked-screens/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    They've already confirmed that there will be two relationship bars: Friendship and Romance. You can balance them in ways that would make two sims soulmates, or friends-with-woohoo-benefits, among other things :-)

Sweet. this is exactly what the OP wanted- and is more complex than TS2's lifetime bar. LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited October 2013
    It's great that there will be two bars, but I would much rather have the lifetime relationship bat back than this.

The romance bar doesn't sound to me like it will account for other meaningful and complex relationships that build up over time - like best friends, siblings, or parents. Will it, for example, allow for a brother and sister who fight all the time but really love one another deep down, or, like the op says, good friends who have a really nasty fight.

It worries me that in what we've been shown so far, I see such an emphasis on dating and romance over all the other possible ways of relating to people.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    It's great that there will be two bars, but I would much rather have the lifetime relationship bat back than this.

I'd rather not look backward and look forward. TS2 wasn't the perfect game- even those lifetime bars were not all that great, but it was something. The new bar system looks better and more complex, so I can see many combinations of friends, frenemies, friends with benefits (as they put it), and others, including more complex family dynamics.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited October 2013
    ^^Really? What could the romance bar possibly do to make 'frenemies' or 'more complex family dynamics' more of a feature within the game? Of course we don't know much yet, but to me the name suggests that it will only add a bit of complexity to romantic relagions rather than filial or friendly ones.

I certainly don't think TS2 was perfect either; i think you know that I wasn't suggesting it was. I was proposing that the romance bar doesn't sound to me like 'exactly what the op wanted', and that their original suggestion, that the lifetime relationship or an equivalent make a return, would be preferable to me personally.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    ^^Really? What could the romance bar possibly do to make 'frenemies' or 'more complex family dynamics' more of a feature within the game? Of course we don't know much yet, but to me the name suggests that it will only add a bit of complexity to romantic relagions rather than filial or friendly ones.

I certainly don't think TS2 was perfect either; i think you know that I wasn't suggesting it was. I was proposing that the romance bar doesn't sound to me like 'exactly what the op wanted', and that their original suggestion, that the lifetime relationship or an equivalent make a return, would be preferable to me personally.

It's too early to tell, but I'm excited to see it in action.
  • Options
    lpmartinlpmartin Posts: 163
    edited October 2013

Awesome! But, as the OP, I would also like the life time bar.
  • Options
    HanKat173HanKat173 Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm really looking forward to the two bars, I've always wanted to be able to have levels of different romantic relationships rather than full-out love!

A lifetime bar is always a good idea though, I totally forgot about that from TS2