Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin is ******* me off (playing sims 3 offline)

I bought the hard copy of Sims 3 (plus seasons), I've installed it along with Origin that I am forced to do.

My issue:
Whenever I click on the 'Sims 3' desktop icon to play, Origin loads and asks me to log in. I DO NOT WANT to log in to origin to just play offline. My friends click the icon and the game just loads. I don't want to always have to have an internet connection to play Sims 3.

This all would make sense if I downloaded the digital copy of the game, but I did not!
I just want to play offline. I've tried right clicking on the icon and running as administrator, uninstalling origin, reinstalling Sims 3....with no success. Origin is great and all, if I want to buy something digitally, but don't make things so gosh darn complicated about being able to play the game.

What can I do?

Comments

• Options
    rwralexrwralex Posts: 10 New Member
    edited November 2012
    anyone...
  • Options
    NepinRithNepinRith Posts: 51
    edited November 2012
    well, the big plus to having the origin is, if you ever lose your cpy of your game, you can digitally download it again though origin.
    origin is also how you get most of your updates.

though if you would like to update through manual patches these are the ones you would be looking at when ever there is a new patch, they always update these links with the new patch:

this is the Cumulative manual update for the PC: Official EA Download Link for The Sims 3 *Cumulative* Manual Update XML for the PC

And this is the cumulative manual update for MAC: Official EA Download Links for The Sims 3 *Cumulative* Manual Update for the MAC

Also, you don't technically have to be online on origin to play offline on the sims.

Origin, is what EA manager used to be.

But the best thing that I can suggest to you is to go through the process at least to get yourself set up, your games registered and all that mumbo jumbo, an after all that, you should be able to play without having to log into origin.

You can play offline by logging yourself or at the launcher or at the game menu.

if you want to by pass the launcher than do this:

you can always go into the bin file and copy and past your ts3.exe file to the desk top. this will by pass your launcher. I have done this for my friend as her launcher has been broken from day one.

All did was re-name it to "play sims 3" that way when I search for my ts3.exe file I didn't have to see two of them while searching.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I have registered the games, made an Origin I.D. (or else I wouldn't be able to post here)

I have gone to the 'file location' when right clicking on the icon, bring me to such files as the ts3.exe one. There were a slew of files there, but I just clicked on the ones that say 'application' under its description. So, I don't think it would make much of a difference if I copied and pasted it to my desktop if clicking on it didn't work.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I may not have gone through all the so-called mumbo jumbo in terms of origin, for that is the only thing I can think of that is still causing me to have these issus.
  • Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2012
    rwralex wrote:
    I have registered the games, made an Origin I.D. (or else I wouldn't be able to post here)

I have gone to the 'file location' when right clicking on the icon, bring me to such files as the ts3.exe one. There were a slew of files there, but I just clicked on the ones that say 'application' under its description. So, I don't think it would make much of a difference if I copied and pasted it to my desktop if clicking on it didn't work.

The correct file is TS3W.exe

Have you tried signing in to Origin? Its not going to hurt anything. And its possible that doing so will cause that popup to go away.
    As far as having to be online to play, you don't. Even with Origin installed.
  • Options
    TenealBTenealB Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    i completely agree with the name of this forum!
    i have a physical copy of the game and yet Origin is still making me download the entire game (which has so far taken me 14hours and it's only 51% complete).
    I want to play the game offline but will Origin let me do this??
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Origin doesn't make you download the game if you have the physical version. Its an option but not mandatory.
  • Options
    TenealBTenealB Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    makes sense but everytime i try and download the game straight from the disc it redirects me to the origin download ...
  • Options
    DaveliciousDavelicious Posts: 575 New Member
    edited December 2012
    What a strange issue. Have any of you read the fine print on the back of the box? Does it say if an internet connection is required to play?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    TenealB wrote:
    makes sense but everytime i try and download the game straight from the disc it redirects me to the origin download ...

What do you mean by "download the game straight from the disc"? What exactly happens when you put in your disc? Try to be as detailed as possible.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited December 2012
    you can always start up Origin and then in the settings change it so that Origin does not start up every time you start up your computer ..

By default Origin starts every time your computer is switched on .

You actually have to scroll down the settings page to find out where to stop it starting up every time . EA sneakily hid that away , i guess in the hope people will not turn it off .

Start origin
    Very top left of that screen next to the orange circle click Origin
    Click Application Settings in the drop down box
    Scroll down to find where to turn it off and also where it will auto update everything

• Options
    HOLLYNPHOLLYNP Posts: 88 New Member
    edited December 2012
    whats the big deal...just log in
  • Options
    purplesims22purplesims22 Posts: 35 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm hating Origin too! I had to rebuy my copy of sims3 after once owning it when it first came out. Now I had to connect to the Internet to even install the game. It also tried to download the game even though I had the physical disc. I canceled it as it had already installed. Origin does require you to login and be online to start the game, but the is an option in origin to go in offline mode, but the next day it'll ask me to be online and log in again. So frustrating any I don't even have a problem with origin, my issue is I don't have broadband (can't afford it) but I do have an O2 dongle but no way am I spending £10 a month just to start a game!!!! This is ridiculous as it was originally an offline game, no DRM. PLEASE EA and Maxis, get rid of this need to be online with your games!!!!!! I've been playing Sims for 13 years and now I can't play :,(
  • Options
    hot_ncblondyhot_ncblondy Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Origin is crappy! I hate this! I dont have internet but have been playing sims since it come out. I found a way to play off line but had to bring my desktop to a friends house to download the game I bought from walmart! sign into orgin even if your off-line1 then click settings. scroll down to go offline you can play the game but it freezes like crazy. I found a old expansion disk the sims 3 pets, that one works fine with no glitches. but I cant go to other towns in my other expansion packs.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited August 2013
    The digital download version of TS3 ALWAYS had SecuROM when bought from EA or other EA resellers. This started a problem as Steam wanted EA to remove the drm and this started a big problem with Steam versions of TS3 because Steam games install different then Origin games. The disc version only has copyguard and there is no install limit. SecuROM imposes an install limit (activations) and HAS to be activated by an online server the first time the game is played. It has been said that SecuROM reactivates periodically but this hasn't been confirmed. SecuROM was introduced with Bioshock disc version so it is not reserved for just digital download versions. As the internet becomes a more integral part of peoples lives more and more games will be distributed online only and as cloud computing becomes standard (yes I feel it will) we will be downloading clients instead of the whole game. The latest iteration of Tomb Raider is download only. Yea I am now a Steam user. Actually all in all I've had very few problems with SecuROM. I may recommend getting a console as SecuROM isn't going away any time soon.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    DiomenasDiomenas Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Origin only makes you have to be logged in and online in origin the FIRST time you launch the game. This is so the game can get any necessary updates. This is not a requirement for each time you launch. My Origin account has two copies of SIMS 3 on it, one is mine, the other is my girlfriends. We can both play the game on our own machines with no issue from the same origin account even though you can only be "online" in Origin on one machine at a time.
  • Options
    purplesims22purplesims22 Posts: 35 New Member
    edited August 2013
    I have to disagree. Each day I had to log into origin to start the game up and to log in you need to be connected to the Internet. I could not log in offline, there was no option. Plus the box said 'Internet connection required to play'. I got my hands on a second hand copy or the original disc so I'm happy now and no origin installed :)
  • Options
    Anit08Anit08 Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2013
    I know how you are all feeling. Luckly I had an older realsed version of the sims 3 from 2010. Today I bought the Sims 3 Started Pack which included the base game (the sims 3) plus Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff. I had deleted the older version of the Sims 3 a couple of years ago. SO when I went to install the new Sims 3 Starter Pack it forced me to use origin. WTH, why? I have the disk, it should only take 15 minutes to install. But no, origin forces us to download it via them. So it would take 7 hours or so. *** thats just dumb. After trying to bypass this for an hour I gave up and went in search of my old copy of the sims 3. As I type this it is installing without origin. My bet is that the newer/most recent copies have a file that prompts us to install the game using Origin. There should obviously be a choice, but there was not.

Sadly, if you dont have an older version of the Sims 3 I really dont think there is a way to avoid it. Hope this information just cleared things up a bit..
  • Options
    lieserapozolieserapozo Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I also can't play without being forced to log into origin. It's way frustrating. I don't always HAVE internet access. I'll never download a game from origin again. When I get the sims4 I'm buying a disc.
  • Options
    DaydreamingArtistDaydreamingArtist Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Here's my issue:

I can't manually bring up the Sims 3 Launcher anymore. It requires me to sign into Origin just to select "Play" to bring up the Launcher to play. People are continuing to miss the point about adamantly not wanting to play "online." I use to be able to play Sims 3 offline. So when my internet is messing up, I have no way to play Sims 3 without going through Origin now.

When the internet is down, guess what you CAN'T do?
    Sign into Origin.

I want the option to bring up the Launcher manually without going through online means. I have the physical copy of the game too, so this is blatantly ridiculous.

I have tried solutions I found online, but it always prompts an Origin sign-in.

If anyone has any legitimate information to by-pass Origin to bring up the Launcher, please let me know.
  • Options
    rugggles15rugggles15 Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    Origin doesn't make you download the game if you have the physical version. Its an option but not mandatory.

I know this was a while ago, but can you please explain to me how to bypass downloading it digitally if you have the disk version? I have the disk and it seems to keep starting digitally and i dont have the sufficient internet for that..
  • Options
    JesamineRJesamineR Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2013
    I take my PC offline totally to play the sims 3. I don't ever play online, all I get is a reminder that I am offline and I click ok and continue, it runs better without windows update and internet connection :D
  • Options
    sonjamasterssonjamasters Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Ok i have the same issue here. i do not care for origin, so don't tell me what its good for and what it can do. i just want to know how to get rid of it. i hate that every time i put in the disk or click the icon that it forces me to sign in and requires me to be online in order to play the game. i know there's a way to shut it off because ive played sims3 before and it never asked me to sign in, so all i want is to be able to click the icon and it take me straight to the game without logging in and no internet. from time to time i lose internet and so i decide to play sims3 but than origins gets in my F***ing way and won't let me play the game because i have no internet and it requires me to sign into origins online.
    all i wont to know is how to get rid of origin and for it to never ask me to sign in again, and never requires me to be online.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2014
    Ok i have the same issue here. i do not care for origin, so don't tell me what its good for and what it can do. i just want to know how to get rid of it. i hate that every time i put in the disk or click the icon that it forces me to sign in and requires me to be online in order to play the game. i know there's a way to shut it off because ive played sims3 before and it never asked me to sign in, so all i want is to be able to click the icon and it take me straight to the game without logging in and no internet. from time to time i lose internet and so i decide to play sims3 but than origins gets in my F***ing way and won't let me play the game because i have no internet and it requires me to sign into origins online.
    all i wont to know is how to get rid of origin and for it to never ask me to sign in again, and never requires me to be online.

i get you are frustrated by required origin set up, even though its cleanly printed on the box. but if helpful people responding here are fellow simmers and just as important cursing is not allowed per forum rules

my suggestion contact customer service