Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

death in the future

What if when a Sim goes to the future to visit their descendants and then dies?

For example, a Sim is at their descendants house watching some TV when suddenly the TV breaks and this Sim offers to repair the TV whilst the descendants sit quietly on the sofa. After a few minutes, the Sim get electrocuted and dies, right in front of his descendants. So the Grim Reaper arrives and takes the Sim's ghost away.

That being the case, would the Grim Reaper tell the descendants that they'll be wiped out of existence, or would they disappear the moment that Sim died?

Actually, if you think about it, if this Sim's destiny was to die (be it in the future or in the present) and not have any children to begin with, I assume that the descendants wouldn't have existed in the first place!

Someone please help me out on this one! :)

Comments

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited September 2013
    You are talking about time paradox. Well I don't think they went so deep into it.
    What happens if you go to Oasis Landing with a single Sim and he dies there, is another question - independent from any time paradox.
    It never occurred to me that a Sim died in one of the WA worlds or in the university world. What happens then?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    You are talking about time paradox. Well I don't think they went so deep into it.
    What happens if you go to Oasis Landing with a single Sim and he dies there, is another question - independent from any time paradox.
    It never occurred to me that a Sim died in one of the WA worlds or in the university world. What happens then?

Game over. You get booted back to the main world with no active household. It was very sad. My sim just wanted a soda from the soda machine.... It was stuck... :( LOL Surprised me! And I lost a day or two of gameplay when I had to quit without saving because I was so unprepared for it!
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited September 2013
    When a single sim dies for some reason in the game. The game will give you the option to go back into CAS, and create a new sim. I assuming that this won't change if the sim was single through out it's entire life. A single sim won't have any descendants if they were never married with children.
    If the sim was married with children, and then dies for some reason. You continue on playing that household with the other surviving members of that sim's household.
    If the sim dies in their descendants' living room. I would imagine that the descendants would suddenly get a mourning moodlet. Just like any other sim would when they witness another sim's death. :D
  • Options
    4eee54eee5 Posts: 687 Member
    edited September 2013
    what if the sim and their kids die?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    4eee5 wrote:
    If all the sims in a household dies for some reason or another. Then the game will give you a choice. You can play one of the other households, or you can go back into CAS and make a new household. Those are your option when a household is no longer playable. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sunman502 wrote:
    4eee5 wrote:
    If all the sims in a household dies for some reason or another. Then the game will give you a choice. You can play one of the other households, or you can go back into CAS and make a new household. Those are your option when a household is no longer playable. :D

but what if the spouse is still alive?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    4eee5 wrote:
    sunman502 wrote:
    4eee5 wrote:

You can still play that household as long as one current member is still alive. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:

Game over. You get booted back to the main world with no active household. It was very sad. My sim just wanted a soda from the soda machine.... It was stuck... :( LOL Surprised me! And I lost a day or two of gameplay when I had to quit without saving because I was so unprepared for it!
    Thank you jess. :D
    The sub-hood functionality is the same with all sub-hoods and so this will happen in Oasis Landing when you go there with a single Sim and he dies. Does this answer your question, Tamaldo77? :)
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    LizyroseLizyrose Posts: 106
    edited September 2013
    This thread reminds me of Back to the Future. I can just hear Doc saying something about unraveling the fabric of the space-time continum. :)
  • Options
    Tamaldo77Tamaldo77 Posts: 136 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

The sub-hood functionality is the same with all sub-hoods and so this will happen in Oasis Landing when you go there with a single Sim and he dies. Does this answer your question, Tamaldo77? :)

Thank you Cyron43 and mcveighjess! This was really helpful! Although it would be fun if there was a paradox and everything suddenly disappeared or something like that! :D
  • Options
    IrishSimsloverIrishSimslover Posts: 715 Member
    edited September 2013
    Tamaldo77 wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

Well technically, there would be. Since your sim dies before ever having children, all your descendents would cease to exist.
    Thank you Cyron43 and mcveighjess! This was really helpful! Although it would be fun if there was a paradox and everything suddenly disappeared or something like that! :D
    tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sunman502 wrote:
    4eee5 wrote:
    sunman502 wrote:
    4eee5 wrote:

You can still play that household as long as one current member is still alive. :D

but what happens to the descendants?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well technically, there would be. Since your sim dies before ever having children, all your descendents would cease to exist.
    In case you mean "technically" = "in reality" then yes but technically in terms of the game engine then I doubt it. It would take a special tracking algorithm which eats up valuable CPU time.
    If you visit Oasis Landing with a single Sim household and this Sim dies then you are beamed back to the main world anyway. So you wouldn't know if the descendants still exist. The next time you visit Oasis Landing with a different Sim but he has nothing to do with the descendants of the first Sim. So the game will not generate them anyways but the descendants of the new Sim.
    In case you visit Oasis Landing with more than one Sim and one dies, the descendants can still exist. You wouldn't know if the other Sim will not marry again and have other children of which these descendants could be.
    These scenarios can get very complex and we don't know how far in the future Oasis Landing is.
    Conclusion: It would take a big amount of number crunching on one side and not much benefit on the other side. Implementing such a simulation (with many unknown values) would simply take too much time and money and the result could be anything.
    We could as well roll a dice, or in terms of programming: the game could as well retrieve a value from a random generator.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    eatinglikeasim3012eatinglikeasim3012 Posts: 484 New Member
    edited September 2013

:D

But if your sim dies from fixing their tv and they cease to exist hose tv did he fix?
    Wich means he never died in the first place since there are no descendents with abroken tv...BUT now that he is alive so are they...and their tv is broken and he tries to fix it and dies. Now that he is dead again so are they...wich means he is now alive again...and so are they AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Lesson learned; If someone from the past comes to your house claiming to be your great great grandparent ask them if they have kids before you let them fix your tv
  • Options
    Tamaldo77Tamaldo77 Posts: 136 New Member
    edited September 2013

:D

But if your sim dies from fixing their tv and they cease to exist hose tv did he fix?
    Wich means he never died in the first place since there are no descendents with abroken tv...BUT now that he is alive so are they...and their tv is broken and he tries to fix it and dies. Now that he is dead again so are they...wich means he is now alive again...and so are they AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Lesson learned; If someone from the past comes to your house claiming to be your great great grandparent ask them if they have kids before you let them fix your tv

That's a really good point! :lol:
  • Options
    acj2001acj2001 Posts: 46 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I don't think the game creators have thought about that yet. They will come around to it eventually. Or, maybe they won't.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    acj2001 wrote:
    I don't think the game creators have thought about that yet. They will come around to it eventually. Or, maybe they won't.
    A paradox would not only confuse reality but also make the game crash. :lol:
    Anyway it's too late to add anything to ITF. The Development is done.

About your signature: You are wrong on this.
    - No Spamming or Flooding. Flooding or spamming means posting disruptive numbers of messages, including posting the same message in multiple forums. This also includes "bumping" threads multiple times.
    See? It says "multiple times". So bumping is not forbidden per se.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    elsievdmelsievdm Posts: 588 Member
    edited September 2013

You can then play with an surviving family member, except if that member is a Baby or Toddler..then the child(services - I forgot the name for that person) comes and takes the child/dren away and the Game whisks you away to Edit Town Mode...So then you have to start over...hapend to me.. :lol: