Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sidewalk intersection problem!

Could someone point me to a good tutorial on matching up the sidewalk texture intersection? I wanted to take the easy route and simply paint the terrain beneath the weird sidewalk issue but the pattern is so much bigger as a terrain paint than as a sidewalk texture and I don't know how to scale down the size to match the sidewalk. Or if someone could tell me how to actually get the opacity to match that would be even better. I'm trying to get a faded dirt road look for my world and I've been struggling with this stupid sidewalk for about an hour now.

I want my roads to look like this
dirtroad.jpg

But the intersections come out looking like this.
Intersection1.jpg

Intersection2.png

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    whatsociallifewhatsociallife Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited August 2013
    I remember using that dirt road before, to improve how it looks (it's not you it really does just look that awful with what we're given) I did paint under the road but also flipped the dds image for the corners 180 degrees in photoshop and they matched better. You could try that.
  • Options
    Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2013
    I tried that whatsociallife but still no luck. When I flipped the dds file the corners didn't look any better, they actually looked worse X(. I appreciate the suggestion tho.

Bump!
  • Options
    whatsociallifewhatsociallife Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited August 2013
    I don't know how easy it would be to create your own? It is a shame they look so awful in game as they are :(
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hi :D

You can make your own. I've used Gimp to make a few... But, the roads don't have to be connected to work correctly any more. What you can try is not having an intersection: bring the two opposite roads up to the road as if they were connected... This way the ugly corners aren't used.

Since the terrain paint is compressed for roads and looks huge when used as a paint, you can edit the terrain paint to be smaller- shrink to 4 in 1. Don't use it for the roads but as the terrain paint under the roads, to hide the corners. :)

Or you can find a dirt that looks well both as the road and as paint.

Good Luck. :D

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited August 2013
    A random suggestion: try using plants to disguise the corners, sims will run through them but it looks ok with some plants, like grasses.

I also use terrain paint to blend in the corners, as others have suggested.
  • Options
    Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi :D

You can make your own. I've used Gimp to make a few... But, the roads don't have to be connected to work correctly any more. What you can try is not having an intersection: bring the two opposite roads up to the road as if they were connected... This way the ugly corners aren't used.

Since the terrain paint is compressed for roads and looks huge when used as a paint, you can edit the terrain paint to be smaller- shrink to 4 in 1. Don't use it for the roads but as the terrain paint under the roads, to hide the corners. :)

Or you can find a dirt that looks well both as the road and as paint.

Good Luck. :D

Thanks Rflong, I want to try this but how do I shrink it? I don't have Photoshop at the moment just paint.net but how do I shrink to 4 in 1? What values do I change? Appreciate the responses everyone!