Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ambitions vs. Generations

I can't decide between getting Ambitions or Generations, so I'd like the help of people who have one or (preferably) both to make the choice, please.

Comments

• Options
    Candygurl84Candygurl84 Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited May 2013
    I love Ambitions. It's one of my favorite EP because of all the interactive careers.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited May 2013
    Oh boy, I have both and I love them both. Ambitions comes with a world, while Generations does not. Ambitions actually also allows your sim to be self employed with actual job level titles. I actually use this quite a bit in my every day playing of the sims. Ambitions does also allow you to go to work with your sim, instead of them just disappearing inside a rabbit hole.

Generations actually gives the different age groups more interactions. A parent can take their baby or toddler for a walk in a stroller (but that gets old really quick). But there is more than just that. To me Generations should have actually been added into the base game, at least that is my opinion.

You might want to take a look at these two links.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/ambitions/

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/generations/
  • Options
    amberaura23amberaura23 Posts: 434 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm...my favorite was ambitions, but I would say it depends on your play style. If you prefer to play families, I would recommend Generations. However, If you like to play single sims or mostly adults I would recommend Ambitions. The hands-on careers are really cool, but they can be hard to balance with large families.
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have both, but I'd say Ambitions.

I like Twinbrook, and you can be self-employed, and you get so much cool things to try out (time machine, I love it)

Generations...it's really just a glorified stuff pack. It's not bad, just not too spectacular. :?
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Generations, no contest. :P
  • Options
    WillWill Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2013
    If you're seeking new gameplay that sucks you in, Ambitions is the expansion pack for you. From being self-employed to controlling your Sims at work, I feel that Ambitions has a lot more content than Generations. If you tend to play more families than single Sims, than Ambitions may be tricky and may not be as fun. Despite that though, I am a big fan of the Laundry and motorcycles.

Generations has many asked for items (including bunk beds), but I feel that the novelty wears off after a while. This is definitely the expansion for people who love making Sim families.
  • Options
    glitterandguitarsglitterandguitars Posts: 259 New Member
    edited May 2013
    ambitions!!!!
  • Options
    alexmgleekalexmgleek Posts: 186 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Generations
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2013
    It's going to depend on how you play. If you like doing legacies, playing a lot of families and like going through the newborn to elder phases you'll like Generations.

I prefer Ambitions. To me there is a lot more content with a lot more to do. Ambitions came with a lot of build/buy items, new careers that are interactive, not rabbit holes, and a new town.

To me Generations is just an enhancement of interactions. No town and some build/buy items.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    xFirehawtxFirehawt Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    I would say Ambitions.

Actually, they are both good expansions in their own fields. However, because Ambition adds features that are completely new to the news series, I would advise you to get that one. In my view, Generation just enhances and promotes some of the features that were already in the base game.

They are both great expansions, and you should get both if you get the chance. :)
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited May 2013
    ...it depends on your play style. If you prefer to play families, I would recommend Generations. However, If you like to play single sims or mostly adults I would recommend Ambitions. The hands-on careers are really cool, but they can be hard to balance with large families.

This.

I rarely play the Ambitions non-rabbithole careers because I do like to play large families and it is just impossible if you have a family of sims to take care of. I don't really care for Twinbrook, either. Too much smog for my liking since it keeps the sun at bay--even at noon. I like Ambitions for the new skills, various objects, and CAS options.

If I could only have one of the two packs I would pick Generations. If all you got was woohoo in treehouse and woohoo in shower it would be worth it :wink: , but there is so much more! Some of my favorite things (other than the new woohoo spots):

strollers
    bunk-beds
    new maternity wear
    costume trunk
    playing make-believe (holding court, joy ride, submarine adventure, etc.)
    teaching teens to drive
    prom
    ballet and scouting
    teen after-school activities that teach skills
    building sandcastles and having sandboxes
    spring rides for toddlers
    the claw!
    read your child to sleep
    play peek-a-boo
    new bedroom themed objects for kids (princess, knight, etc.)
    lava lamps
    graduation
    sleep-overs
    teen parties
    rebellious teens
    water slides (slip/slide--not pool)
    hopscotch
    treehouses (did I mention that you can woohoo here!) :wink::wink:
    chemistry set

...and many more!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd say both. 8)

But if I had to choose, I'd go with Ambitions; the new skills (Sculpting and Inventing) are excellent, and with the Consignment Store your Sims will be bringing in the cash in no time. You can make much more selling items at the Consignment Store than you can through buy mode. I recently created an angler Sim who's a bit of a beach bum, and makes most of his money collecting; with a combination of the Consignment Store and the Gem Cutter from Supernatural, he's already got over 300,000 Simoleons (I want him to open a resort on Sunlit Tides after IP drops). I haven't really done much with the interactive professions because I have so much success with self-employment; it's nice to have a family where one member is playable while the rest are in school or rabbit hole jobs.

Generations adds some great gameplay especially for families (I've gotten a few Sims married off thanks to meeting the love of their life at Prom) and items (like the Chemistry Set), but for me Ambitions adds a lot more.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)