Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Music career and the piano ?

I was wondering if there was a way to find a career that involves the Piano skill instead of the guitar one ? It's kind of weird for a Hit Movie Composer to only master guitar. Or is there a mod or something that allows it ?

I know that there are a few pianists in the clubs in Bridgeport. Is it even possible to be hired as one ? Or can you register in a band by yourself and only piano ?

Comments

• Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited April 2013
    The music career allows your sim to gain skill with any instrument. If your sim has skill in more than one instrument it will use the instrument they have the highest level of skill in to track your progress for work. If your sim is employed in the the music career under the work tab it just says musical instrument. It no longer says guitar this was updated in a patch.
  • Options
    loileeloilee Posts: 614 Member
    edited April 2013
    It's hella stupid that you can't play piano as part of the music career - and stupid that the base game only came with guitars.

Anyway, no you can't get hired at a pianist it's an NPC job I'm afraid. But yes you can create a band and play the piano - and you can be a self-employed piano player that way. It is a pretty boring career though, lol.
  • Options
    audreydollaudreydoll Posts: 111 New Member
    edited April 2013
    ..So was it updated or not ? :P Sorry, you two are saying different things so I was wondering.

Also do you need Ambitions for self-employment ?
  • Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited April 2013
    audreydoll wrote:
    ..So was it updated or not ? :P Sorry, you two are saying different things so I was wondering.

Also do you need Ambitions for self-employment ?

It was updated. And, yes, you need either Ambitions or Supernatural for self-employment careers.
  • Options
    lupusrex180lupusrex180 Posts: 644 Member
    edited April 2013
    Unfortunately no, you must master the guitar and only the guitar to be a symphony composer. :roll: Being able to play other instruments, or all four, doesn't specifically help you in any career, although it doesn't hurt either. You can play whatever you want in a band, and you can play them all for tips outside or in the subway, but that's it for pianist (etc.) money. It's silly.

I guess I understand why, the other instruments were introduced later. But you would think that they'd be able to update the career for owners of Late Night.

At any rate, it doesn't take very long to master instruments, so it's not a big deal. If I have a virtuoso in the house I build a little platform with all four instruments, and before they hit Adult they've usually mastered them all without me even telling them to play. They do it on their own for fun.

EDIT: I guess I was wrong, I could have sworn that I saw Guitar in there recently. Oh well, it's good news. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    audreydollaudreydoll Posts: 111 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I guess I'll check my game, then. I'm happy to know it was updated.
    Seems like a lot of people didn't know about this either.
  • Options
    LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2013
    My sim is in this career now. It still says guitar for me. He plays piano better than any other instrument.