Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartments

has anyone tried this? I noticed in game that when i went to change a lot it has an apartment tab now. Do these work like in Sims 2 or is it just a waste?
2v9ekhx.gif

Comments

• Options
    PoshestPoshest Posts: 59 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I never played Sims 2, but my sim lives in an apartment and all it does is send other random NPC sims to live in your house.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited March 2013
    In Sims 2, each apartment lot had 4 seperate apartments to play one at a time. In Sims 3, the apartment lot holds one or two playable sims (or more if you like to juggle) and UPC roommates may be added as you like, that are unplayable. Through bed choice and locking of doors, roommates may be kept out of you areas.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2013
    Take it from someone who knows.
    Sims 3 Apartments are *nothing* like Sims 2 apartments. I wish the Dev team had gone back to TS2 and taken a good look at the code that was used for the Apartments in the Sims 2. In the Sims 2, your Sim could rent an apartment, there was a landlord, your Sim could claim their door, and any other npc/townies that showed up picked their own apartment.

But in Sims 3, you have to assign everyone their door, bed, etc. And that only takes place after your Sim moves in. It's a hassle and a half, which is why I gave up on the idea.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited March 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Sims 3 Apartments are *nothing* like Sims 2 apartments. I wish the Dev team had gone back to TS2 and taken a good look at the code that was used for the Apartments in the Sims 2. In the Sims 2, your Sim could rent an apartment, there was a landlord, your Sim could claim their door, and any other npc/townies that showed up picked their own apartment.

But in Sims 3, you have to assign everyone their door, bed, etc. And that only takes place after your Sim moves in. It's a hassle and a half, which is why I gave up on the idea.

Yes I agree.

Also everything breaks at crazy speed. Any fixing that needs to be done on objects..The npc either talked to the repair (also maid) until they get nothing do or as soon as you open your door to let the repair/maid in the npcs swarm your apartments. You buy food from the store..it is gone because whenever the npcs cook it comes from your fridge. Say goodbuy to serve food and put leftovers away. The npcs eat it and this is with your door locked. Whatever they eat comes out of your fridge automatically. They ever stomp like crazy because they can't get in your room.

The roommates work a bit better. I even seen roomies leave I guess to work. Not so with the apartment Npcs.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited March 2013
    gamekitten wrote:
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Yes I agree.

Also everything breaks at crazy speed. Any fixing that needs to be done on objects..The npc either talked to the repair (also maid) until they get nothing do or as soon as you open your door to let the repair/maid in the npcs swarm your apartments. You buy food from the store..it is gone because whenever the npcs cook it comes from your fridge. Say goodbuy to serve food and put leftovers away. The npcs eat it and this is with your door locked. Whatever they eat comes out of your fridge automatically. They ever stomp like crazy because they can't get in your room.

The roommates work a bit better. I even seen roomies leave I guess to work. Not so with the apartment Npcs.

I am testing an apartment right now.
    I gave up the first time, but I thought with some new inspiration it would be tolerable.

But you've covered some things I haven't even considered.
    I'm giving it up as pointless and will just use my Late Night custom apartments. Anything created with the University apartment concept is just a dorm in disguise.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited March 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Well, I'm glad they didn't do it like Sims 2. I never liked it that way. If you want an apt that is more like Sims 2, use the Late Night style. Make the buildings, add NPC doors, and there's your neighbors in their own rooms.
  • Options
    powerhousepowerhouse Posts: 931 New Member
    edited March 2013
    i like the sims 3 apartments ... i know it not like apartments more like shared accomindation , but they are preety fun to intract with the NPC and watch them mill around and do their own thing , the only thing is you need to hire a maid, but the last aparmtnet i moved to do the sims where preety good and a few of them cleaned up after themselves . they cooked meals so i did not even have to cook and they where clean ect and 3 of them even had jobs which was good
  • Options
    StephenTMStephenTM Posts: 908 Member
    edited March 2013
    powerhouse wrote:
    3 of them even had jobs which was good
    LOL! Sorry, but this literally made me laugh out loud. :P :lol:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2013
    CK123, do you just zone for residential when you install a custom Late Night Apartment? I would think that using the apartment zoning would mess it up royally, that's why I have hesitated downloading custom content ones.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    DeandylanDeandylan Posts: 496 Member
    edited March 2013
    Ts2 apartments were better. If only they would have made it the same. I like the roommate system. It gives sims extra inome. My sims are collecting 2grand from one sim. But that's because I built him his own apartment! At least in Ts2 we could move in a full family while other families moved into the other units. That would have been great now! Then I could have my little struggling mom with four kids and a baby,rent an apartment, and get a roommate to help with the bills while the kids drive him crazy!
  • Options
    powerhousepowerhouse Posts: 931 New Member
    edited March 2013
    StephenTM wrote:
    powerhouse wrote:
    3 of them even had jobs which was good
    LOL! Sorry, but this literally made me laugh out loud. :P :lol:

im glad you like it :mrgreen:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited March 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    CK123, do you just zone for residential when you install a custom Late Night Apartment? I would think that using the apartment zoning would mess it up royally, that's why I have hesitated downloading custom content ones.

No.
    I had a Late Night custom house, but I removed all the lot markers and made it a regular residence first. It works fine. It's just the behaviors of the sims that move in that are annoying. As far as they are concerned, it's a dorm.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds