May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's Bigger on the Inside

Are there any construction tips which can give off the illusion of a house being bigger on the inside?

For some reason, I always suspected basements may come into play here.

Comments

• Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited March 2013
    Are there any construction tips which can give off the illusion of a house being bigger on the inside?

idk lots of windows ?
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,931 Member
    edited March 2013

I am not exactly sure of what you mean. Your question made me think of the tardis. But I think you mean having sims live underground. That is what I used to do all the time. Before the greenhouse - I used to build a tiny house at ground level and have steps going down and make lots of basements where the sims actually lived and used the lot for gardens. Then seasons happened and I got the greenhouse and my building methods have become a whole new adventure.
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited March 2013
    Definitely basements. Don't make just a rectangular box house, give it some shape.

Maybe have a smaller but taller section in the front, and have the rest extend into the back of the lot. That would at least give it a bit of the illusion from the front.

I would suggest NOT using a lot of windows in the front of the house. Windows make an area look spacious, and you're trying to conceal that.

OH! Mirrors. They won't actually give you more space, of course, but they will help make rooms look larger.

And have the basement entrance be in a hidden area.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I am always struggling to find new creative ways to hide entrances to basements.
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited March 2013
    Karritz wrote:
    I am always struggling to find new creative ways to hide entrances to basements.

If you have Supernatural, the bookcase door comes in really handy. Also, if you have spiral staircases you can fit the entrance into a smaller space.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Karritz wrote:

If you have Supernatural, the bookcase door comes in really handy. Also, if you have spiral staircases you can fit the entrance into a smaller space.

Yes. I've been doing that.

I also use the bookcase to hide my magic room which I hide in a narrow section of my greenhouse roof - about 3 or 4 levels up. I really love the greenhouse - it has so changed my way of building and it keeps evolving.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited March 2013

I think you should play around with some things until you get it the way you want & even try the windows. They may create the effect you want. If you don't like the way it looks you can always remove them.
  • Options
    FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member
    edited March 2013
    Definitely basements. Don't make just a rectangular box house, give it some shape.

Maybe have a smaller but taller section in the front, and have the rest extend into the back of the lot. That would at least give it a bit of the illusion from the front.

I would suggest NOT using a lot of windows in the front of the house. Windows make an area look spacious, and you're trying to conceal that.

OH! Mirrors. They won't actually give you more space, of course, but they will help make rooms look larger.

And have the basement entrance be in a hidden area.

These are some very helpful tricks that my uncreative brain didn't event think up. Oh, yes, I was thinking of the TARDIS. I remember seeing a video on how to make a control panel like it too. Perhaps that could double as an entertainment center since they used a TV for it.

The one thing I always had trouble with was how to cover up the basement so it doesn't feel as if you're walking into a basement. If I knew how to mod, I was thinking it could be possible to make an elevator that resembles a front door. That way it just takes you straight to the basement.