Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleting Uneccessary Files from Sims 3 Folder

I was just wondering which files are safe to delete from my Sims 3 Folder to improve game play and such

Comments

• Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited March 2013
    Some people may tell you can delete all the files except the ccmerged.package in the dcbackup folder.

However, if you upload lots or sims to the Exchange, you really shouldn't. If you use CC or store content in the upload file, this is where it attaches the package file from.

The content will be missing in the upload if it is missing from the dcbackup folder.
  • Options
    10eliblue10eliblue Posts: 2,280 New Member
    edited March 2013
    You can also delete some Saves in the Saves folder to free up space. Just make sure you aren't using them!
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited March 2013
    This is my "delete stuff" routine that I do every time I back up. It's worked for me for years, but it may not work for others depending on what stuff you want to keep.

This is the stuff I delete:

DELETE Collections
    'cause I don't make CAS/Build mode collections.

DELETE CurrentGame.sims3
    It's empty whenever you're not playing the game.

DELETE Custom Music
    'cause I don't have my own songs in there, and I don't like the ones that are in there by default.

OPEN DCBackup and delete everything EXCEPT ccmerged.package
    All of that stuff is redundant garbage, but the "ccmerged.package" file is important for your premium content.

DELETE Downloads
    'cause I don't need the .sims3packs in here after I've installed them. In the event that I do, they're available in my purchase history on the site.

DELETE Exports
    'cause I don't need the .sims3packs for my uploads after I've uploaded them. In the event that I do, they're in my studio on the site.

DELETE FeaturedItems
    This is where the launcher stores the images for the Store items it advertises to you. Don't worry, the launcher will download more...

DELETE IGACache
    Nobody seems to know what this is, but it's always empty when I see it. I delete it all the time and have never had any problems.

OPEN Recorded Videos and delete whatever you don't want
    Those recorded videos can eat up a lot of hard drive space.

DELETE SigsCache
    Just some reference files. They'll be regenerated if the launcher ever needs them.

DELETE WorldCaches (PC only)
    I've read that you shouldn't delete this if you're on a Mac. But it's safe to delete on a PC. The game will spend a few minutes regenerating these files when it needs to (it will run very slow during those minutes, but it's only temporary).

DELETE CASPartCache.package
    DELETE compositorCache.package
    DELETE scriptCache.package
    DELETE simCompositorcache.package
    DELETE socialCache.package

Disposable cache files that regenerate if you delete them. Don't be worried if the game runs slow the next time you play. It takes a few minutes for the game to rewrite the files, then the game will run smoothly again.

DELETE DeviceConfig.log
    DELETE Sims3LauncherLogFile.log
    DELETE Sims3Logs.xml
    DELETE Version.tag

Just a bunch of logs and other system info that gets regenerated anyway.

This is the stuff I keep:

ccmerged.package in DCBackup: So that my premium content works.
    DCCache: This is where all of my installed content is.
    InstalledWorlds: This is where all of my installed worlds are.
    Library: This is where all of my Edit Town bin stuff is.
    Mods: 'cause it wouldn't even be there if I didn't put it there and I like the stuff that's in it.
    SavedSims: This is where all of my CAS bin Sims are.
    Saves: This is where all of my saved games are and those are important to me.
    Screenshots: This is where all of my screenshots are and those are important to me.
    Thumbnails: This is otherwise disposable, but I get impatient when the game has to spend a few minutes regenerating all of the thumbnails in CAS, so I just leave it alone.
    Options.ini: This is all of my settings. 'cause I don't like having to redo my settings all the time.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited March 2013
    If you are going to delete your Downloads, I recommend backing them up somewhere first, especially if you have CC or Exchange items. Cause you might never find your CC or Exchange items again. And downloading from your Purchase history one by one can take a long time if you have a lot of store content. The backed up folder can come in handy if you ever need to install your downloads again.
  • Options
    AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    edited March 2013
    DawnLBrown wrote:
    Some people may tell you can delete all the files except the ccmerged.package in the dcbackup folder.

However, if you upload lots or sims to the Exchange, you really shouldn't. If you use CC or store content in the upload file, this is where it attaches the package file from.

The content will be missing in the upload if it is missing from the dcbackup folder.

Ohhh, that explains so much! Thank you!
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2013
    Every time I start the game (before opening the launcher :P ) There are 7 files I delete:
      CASPartCache.package
      compositorCache.package
      scriptCache.package
      simCompositorCache.package
      Sims3LauncherLogFile(.txt)
      Sims3Logs(.xml)
      SocialCache.package
    I also clear the WorldCaches folder if there is anything in it, and I delete any ScriptError files and any xcept files
  • Options
    owenlanxe752owenlanxe752 Posts: 2 New Member
    thank you for this! this helped me clear up space for local disk c.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Not sure if this belongs here but I recently learned (igazor) it’s also ok to empty your Downloads folder once you’ve got everything installed. (you can store the full folder somewhere else)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Not sure if this belongs here but I recently learned (igazor) it’s also ok to empty your Downloads folder once you’ve got everything installed. (you can store the full folder somewhere else)

If you happen to own the entire store and have a huge number of Sims3Pack files to install through the launcher - you will find they install faster and better if you only have a few files in the Downloads folder at a time. I have two other folders when I'm installing store content. One folder is named 'ToInstall' and the other folder is named 'Installed'. I move the files I'm about to install from the 'To' folder to the Downloads folder. Install the content. Then move it from the Downloads folder to the 'Installed' folder. I make sure I keep my content backed up on an external drive as well as on my hard drive.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2017

That is actually not true for Store Stuff*. I have uploaded many worlds and lots with Store stuff in them and I always clean out my DCBackup folder. The Store stuff is Always there.
    I would remove it to not spread any CC that might be attached to items you didn't even use.
  • Options
    angelette1angelette1 Posts: 152 Member
    WOW!! I followed the directions on what to delete & ended up cutting my load time down by10 minutes on my laptop!! Plus there was so much lag I couldn't really play even. That was almost completely cleared up!! Thanks guys!!! This really helped!!!
    Angelette Carter
  • Options
    AftrNoonOvrRideAftrNoonOvrRide Posts: 79 Member
    I always delete the cache files. They regenerate after every game.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

That is actually not true for Store Stuff*. I have uploaded many worlds and lots with Store stuff in them and I always clean out my DCBackup folder. The Store stuff is Always there.
    I would remove it to not spread any CC that might be attached to items you didn't even use.

I agree with @Rflong7

It is CC that relies on the packages being in the DCBackup folder when loading to the exchange. It will attach and load to the exchange with or without your knowledge if the CC related files are left in the DCBackup folder