Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions About Alien Abductions - UPDATE

After trying everything possible, I finally got an alien to visit my sim family. So my question is, in order for an alien to abduct a sim, does the lot size have to be 60x60? My sim family is on a 40x40 lot.

This is what I've done so far -

- Moved my sim family from a tiny lot to a 40x40. (The original lot was the Monotone house in Sunset Valley.)

- I got my male sim to level 10 in logic

- I collected (and still collect) space rocks. I put 6 in my female sim's garden and I kept the remaing smaller ones in my male sim's backpack.

- All the space rocks have been analyzed

- As said above, I have a small garden on my lot

- My male sim looks through (oops....star gazes) the telescope every night between 10:30pm - 3:30am (I know aliens visit only between 12am - 3am)

Does my male sim have to have an interest in gardening? Right now, only my female sim has that.

I also know that (judging by the posts) that those who want a sim to be abducted either don't get theirs abducted or it's very rare. Those who don't want their sims to be abducted are bombarded by it.

UPDATE - I lost some of my previous game in a failed save. (The game froze as it was saving.) I decided to have my male sim rummage in a trash can. I read that sims can find space rocks that way. Anyway, he does and he finds three piles of garbage, an unknown seed and a rubber duck but no space rock.

I decided to have my female sim star gaze with the telescope between 12am and 3am. She does and at 2:04am, an alien visited them.

So, that makes two alien visits but no abductions so far. :-/

Comments

• Options
    kaylas08kaylas08 Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    I have never tried to be abducted by aliens..and it has happened to me and various sims about 5 times.
  • Options
    RathomanRathoman Posts: 121 New Member
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't matter what size lot you are on, or if there is space on the lot or not(if you have the latest patch v 1.50)

It can just take a long-very long time. One of my residents was finally abducted at week 28 day 1. And I did everything you did. Seems to be fairly random even with trying to get them to visit/abduct someone.

For the record I'm on a 40x40 lot with no space left on it. Alien just showed up above the street outside and my guy ran out to see what was happening when he was abducted.
  • Options
    esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited February 2013
    Personally I can't get aliens to show up ANYWHERE. I have NEVER seen one visit any spot in my game and for some reason even my unicorns don't pop up anymore. :/ I'm hoping the new patch fixes this stuff for me at least. Maybe I'll have better luck. I usually don't have so much problems getting things like this to occur..... perhaps my luck ran out. *shrug* :lol:
  • Options
    simsownallsimsownall Posts: 312
    edited February 2013
    Thanks everyone.

I gave in and got a mod that supposedly lets the male sims get abducted. As soon as I installed the mod, my male sim got abducted. No pregnancy though. And so far, since that one time, he hasn't been abducted again.

I guess it really is random. :-/

@esperonza16 - Do you have a garden on your lot? Aliens didn't visit my sim family at all then I read somewhere on here that if you have a garden, it will attract them. I planted a small garden and I had two visits. (Before I installed the mod.)
  • Options
    esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited February 2013
    simsownall wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

I gave in and got a mod that supposedly lets the male sims get abducted. As soon as I installed the mod, my male sim got abducted. No pregnancy though. And so far, since that one time, he hasn't been abducted again.

I guess it really is random. :-/

@esperonza16 - Do you have a garden on your lot? Aliens didn't visit my sim family at all then I read somewhere on here that if you have a garden, it will attract them. I planted a small garden and I had two visits. (Before I installed the mod.)

Oh yeah I have a garden. Inside and out. *shrug* Plus a lot of meteors and other items. I'm just going to play and hope for the best.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Oh yeah I have a garden. Inside and out. *shrug* Plus a lot of meteors and other items. I'm just going to play and hope for the best.

Hmmm.....are the space rocks you have (you have those right?) analyzed?

Let's see what I remember reading....

- Use the telescope (even though some have said that their sims were abducted just doing things outside. The telescope supposedly increases the chances of an abduction.)

- Have at least 5 space rocks on your lot

- Analyze the space rocks

- Have a garden to attract the aliens

- Have your sim at level 10 logic

Now that last thing above, I've seen some people say that it's not true and others say it is. Those who say it isn't true said that their sim was abducted before they maxed out the logic skill. Others have said that they maxed out the logic skill and then their sim was abducted. A few said that once you reach level 10 in logic that the abduction will not happen because the skill was maxed. :S

Of course you can use mods. I don't know if you'd like that or not.

It's a shame that EA cut down on the chances of alien abductions. It's really weird as well that those who don't want any abductions get bombarded by them while others who want them can't get them.

• Options
    KnowNukesKnowNukes Posts: 57 New Member
    edited March 2013
    About the telescope, I'm wondering whether the difference in odds applies only while it's in use, or if you can have your Sim just use it for a while within the same 24-hour time period? In Sims2, abductions only happened during telescope usage, but in Sims 3 I've had Sims indoors drop their queue to run outdoors to look at the lights. On the other hand, I've had more than one abduction happen near 3 AM after the Sim charts a new star; this was before the newest patch and I had Twallan's Overwatch doing its default cleanup routines at 3 AM (I wasn't using Master Controller.)

I also wonder whether you need to "refresh" your space rocks after either a previous alien visit or abduction. Maybe aliens think old space rocks get stale?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    KnowNukes wrote:
    About the telescope, I'm wondering whether the difference in odds applies only while it's in use, or if you can have your Sim just use it for a while within the same 24-hour time period? In Sims2, abductions only happened during telescope usage, but in Sims 3 I've had Sims indoors drop their queue to run outdoors to look at the lights. On the other hand, I've had more than one abduction happen near 3 AM after the Sim charts a new star; this was before the newest patch and I had Twallan's Overwatch doing its default cleanup routines at 3 AM (I wasn't using Master Controller.)

I also wonder whether you need to "refresh" your space rocks after either a previous alien visit or abduction. Maybe aliens think old space rocks get stale?

I'm not sure about the telescope. I have a mod in my game now that increases the abduction chances with/without the telescope. Although, last night I was playing and had my male sim look through the telescope at 10:30pm (game time). My female sim was across town performing (she's a singer and she was at a venue) and as soon as she stepped off the stage, she was abducted. :lol:

I've heard that various sims have been abducted just doing everyday/night normal things. (Sleeping, watching tv, taking a shower...etc.)

As for the space rocks, some have said that they keep the same ones while others have said that you have to get rid of the old ones and get new ones. The ones you get have to be placed out the same night that the male sim looks through the telescope.

You know, I'm a very confusing person. :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yep! YAY! I finally have a baby alien on the way! :-D
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    UPDATE - 3/3/2013

I finally got an alien baby! WOOOO! Galen is his name.

Here's the twist -

Right before my male sim was abducted, his wife got pregnant. So, they both were pregnant at the same time. It was pretty funny to see him and her walking toward each other with their big bellies. :lol:

He had Galen (Gay-Lynn) on Tuesday and the wife had her baby....or should I say babies....on Wednesday. Yes, babies. She had twins. Lila and Brilynn. (Bry-Lynn.)

I was shocked when she had twins because I didn't do anything to increase the chances of it. The only thing that might have helped was when she turned on the tv and switched the channel to the Kids Zone channel. But even then I think she went into labor before the channel switched. (Literally. There was only maybe a second that passed between the channel switching and her going into labor.)

I thought it was so cute when she went to the hospital because my male sim was holding Galen and he never put him down. He held him, ran outside, hailed a cab and walked into the hospital while still holding Galen.

I think I'm in for it with this family. lol
  • Options
    charlotteruffellcharlotteruffell Posts: 13 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm still waiting for my alien babba.

My bloke got abducted every night for a week and didnt come back with any hidden surprises. :(!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm still waiting for my alien babba.

My bloke got abducted every night for a week and didnt come back with any hidden surprises. :(!

Yep. I know what you mean. I had to "cheat" to finally get an alien baby. :-/