Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to get really irritated !

Seasons is only causing problems! I thought Seasons was going to be happiness for me but it's only turning into hell. I can't play the game! I haven't even started it! I can't get past the family loading screen it loads 1/4 of the way and it crashes to the desktop saying windows will notify you a solution or something like that. I have an hp laptop it's less then 2 months old! I have Windows 8 and yes, Windows 8 IS compatible with The Sims 3. Now the ******* launcher says "This app can't run on your PC" 🐸🐸🐸🐸!I'm really sorry about the language but as a paying customer who has payed well over hundreds of $$$ this is unbelievable! I'm sorry but I can't take it anymore! I have tryed to play w/o mods I've heard about DEP but like I said I have Windows 8 it's different. I don't have a "start" button. And I know that my laptop CAN play The Sims 3 cause it has been playing fine until Seasons came along. I also have the latest update both for the launcher and TS3. I don't know if it's the launcher update causing this or what but I don't know how that could be cause even when I updated it, it still worked fine. As for the update for TS3 well, I updated the game and then added seasons, so I never played with the update. Does ANYONE have ANY solutions [In Windows 8 style] could you put it in a simple way? I'm not a techy person but I'm also no stranger to it. I also can't download it to Origin cause I used a code from Online [I lost mine] Sorry for the long story I tried to add as many details. Surely someone has to know cause people on YouTube have seasons and are playing their games fine. :cry: I just want to play my game!

Comments

• Options
    JHBrownJHBrown Posts: 566 Member
    edited February 2013
    I hate to say this but just because your laptop is only two months old doesn't meant diddly squat(nothing). I'm running all expansion packs, with Windows 8 on a gaming desktop with no issues. What are your system specs? HP laptops come preloaded with a whole bunch of junk software enable by default at startup and could also be causing issues. We need more info.

Edit: when are people going to realize that gaming and laptop don't go together. Unless you buy a true gaming laptop, ASUS, Sager, MSI, Alienware
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited February 2013
    i don't know anything about windows 8 but for the DEP you can get to it via system properties, advance settings , i assume its still got a control pannel so you can go there to system properties.

allso if you have loads of thing 's loading like the hp usually do i recomend you try razor game booster to load your game it close's down background tasks why you play and makes the game run smoother.
  • Options
    Astronut1984Astronut1984 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2013
    JHBrown wrote:
    Edit: when are people going to realize that gaming and laptop don't go together. Unless you buy a true gaming laptop, ASUS, Sager, MSI, Alienware

It is possible to play Sims on a laptop as that is what I do and I have all EPs and SPs except Supernatural and 70's, 80's and 90's stuff. Although I admit to using Twallen's mods to stabilise my game. I was also initially reluctant to use mods but after getting to a similar stage of irritation I gave in and tried it (after all the game was already broken) and I have never looked back.

Prior to using them the game was unplayable in a variety of ways (crashes, freezing, significant lags). Some of those may well have been due to running the game on a laptop, as it seems that EAs min spec doesn't actually reflect what you need, however with twallen's mods I continue to play on the same laptop. Now I have significantly fewer issues and they tend to be the ones that EA (eventually) patch so real bugs in the code. I haven't used Windows 8 but I would recommend giving Twallen's mods a try. You can always remove them again if that doesn't work for you.

Astro :D
  • Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited February 2013
    Seasons is only causing problems! I thought Seasons was going to be happiness for me but it's only turning into hell. I can't play the game! I haven't even started it! I can't get past the family loading screen it loads 1/4 of the way and it crashes to the desktop saying windows will notify you a solution or something like that. I have an hp laptop it's less then 2 months old! I have Windows 8 and yes, Windows 8 IS compatible with The Sims 3. Now the ******* launcher says "This app can't run on your PC" 🐸🐸🐸🐸!I'm really sorry about the language but as a paying customer who has payed well over hundreds of $$$ this is unbelievable! I'm sorry but I can't take it anymore! I have tryed to play w/o mods I've heard about DEP but like I said I have Windows 8 it's different. I don't have a "start" button. And I know that my laptop CAN play The Sims 3 cause it has been playing fine until Seasons came along. I also have the latest update both for the launcher and TS3. I don't know if it's the launcher update causing this or what but I don't know how that could be cause even when I updated it, it still worked fine. As for the update for TS3 well, I updated the game and then added seasons, so I never played with the update. Does ANYONE have ANY solutions [In Windows 8 style] could you put it in a simple way? I'm not a techy person but I'm also no stranger to it. I also can't download it to Origin cause I used a code from Online [I lost mine] Sorry for the long story I tried to add as many details. Surely someone has to know cause people on YouTube have seasons and are playing their games fine. :cry: I just want to play my game!

For update 1.50 issues, please post in this thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/650809.page
  • Options
    sims3groovesims3groove Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    JHBrown wrote:
    I hate to say this but just because your laptop is only two months old doesn't meant diddly squat(nothing). I'm running all expansion packs, with Windows 8 on a gaming desktop with no issues. What are your system specs? HP laptops come preloaded with a whole bunch of junk software enable by default at startup and could also be causing issues. We need more info.

*Coughs*
    Laptops CAN play Sims 3 just fine especially hp. My laptop EXCEEDS way past the minimum requirements. In fact even on low settings it looks 10x better then it did on my desktop. And I'm not the only one who is having the "The Sims 3 has stopped working Windows will notify you a solution" error. I finally did fix the problem with the loading screen. I am actually able to play the game, but for no longer than 5 minutes. No, it's not my graphics card [like I said it exceeds standards] Minimum requirements for RAM Minimum: For XP 1 GB RAM / Windows Vista and Windows 7 1.5 GB RAM
    I Have: 1.7 GB

.........................[Required].[I Have]
    Pixel Shader version [ 2.0] [5.0]
    Vertex Shader version [2.0] [5.0]
    Dedicated Video RAM [128 MB] 384 MB]

Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 4.5 GB
    You Have: 186.7 GB
    The only thing that I see that I am low on is the cpu speed. I used "Can You Run it?"
    Minimum: For XP 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; For Windows Vista and Windows 7 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    I Have: 1.3 GHz Can you run it has a green check mark for it even though I fall short. Could this be the reason? I also have tried DEP.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
    I have tried running w/o mods and cc, turned settings on low and adding TS3 & EP's to DEP.
  • Options
    savagemamasavagemama Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2013
    I went to buy a new laptop a few months ago and they are all awful video cards now that are not compatible unless you pay a lot of money. (They may work with the base game slowly but you will have trouble adding to it)

I ended up buying a used 5 yr old computer with Vista and a Intel GMA for $150 and it works great with base & 6 expansions running. I would assume your video card can't handle it with Seasons. It takes a lot to have snow and rain layered over everything. I recently added Showtime and was hoping that wasn't too much but all good. Maybe get an older computer with better specs.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited February 2013
    Your processor is seriously underpowered. Your RAM might also be a problem - I know the guidelines say 1.5 but you're likely to struggle with anything less than 4 (and even with anything less than 8 error code 12 will probably haunt you for bigger saves).

However, I don't think that either of these would cause crashes during loading. There's a crashing thread in technical. I'll try to find it for you.

Edit: here's the official crashing thread. I know it says it's for pets, but it's the one crinrict has linked in her seasons bug thread So it must be the right one. Post your full dxdiag there and explain exactly what issues you are having. Good luck!

Another edit: also, I just found this thread that ceejay opened a couple of days ago. It's for all patch 1.50 problems, including crashing issues. Probably better off trying there first.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited February 2013
    First, I don't use the launcher to start the game. The launcher has been a problem from the start. I go to the program files and find the .exe that goes with the latest EP/SP. Copy it and put it on my desktop. I use that .exe by right clicking and "run as administrator". I would like to suggest you run a compatibility test by right clicking the launcher and .exe and choose "troubleshoot compatibility". That way Windows 8 will find an older OS to run Sims 3. That was the only way I could run the game with Windows 8.

EDIT: About your RAM, it's too low. Your background programs are also running on that RAM and if Sims 3 have to share it, then when the RAM runs out, the game will shut down. You do need more RAM and reduce how much is running in the background of the OS.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    Your processor is seriously underpowered. Your RAM might also be a problem - I know the guidelines say 1.5 but you're likely to struggle with anything less than 4 (and even with anything less than 8 error code 12 will probably haunt you for bigger saves).

However, I don't think that either of these would cause crashes during loading. There's a crashing thread in technical. I'll try to find it for you.

Edit: here's the official crashing thread. I know it says it's for pets, but it's the one crinrict has linked in her seasons bug thread So it must be the right one. Post your full dxdiag there and explain exactly what issues you are having. Good luck!

Another edit: also, I just found this thread that ceejay opened a couple of days ago. It's for all patch 1.50 problems, including crashing issues. Probably better off trying there first.

I don't understand though. I passed the minimum requirements,for RAM is there anyway that I could free up some space? Iv'e been playing Sims 3 gorgeously without any problems. There may have been a bit of lag due to the giant amount of mods/cc I have but that's all. I have never had a crash till seasons came/patch 1.50. Thanks for the links but everyone else has given me the same links I've visited the same sites over and over again. Nothing has helped. I got this laptop for Sims and I need to know what I can do so I can play them. Anyways thanks for posting.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited February 2013
    GreenCats wrote:

I don't understand though. I passed the minimum requirements,for RAM is there anyway that I could free up some space? Iv'e been playing Sims 3 gorgeously without any problems. There may have been a bit of lag due to the giant amount of mods/cc I have but that's all. I have never had a crash till seasons came/patch 1.50. Thanks for the links but everyone else has given me the same links I've visited the same sites over and over again. Nothing has helped. I got this laptop for Sims and I need to know what I can do so I can play them. Anyways thanks for posting.

your processor 1.3ghz is this duo core? if so thats probably why it passed, if not then you don't really meet the requirements more ram would help to my laptop has the right size processor but i had to upgrade my ram from the orginal 2gb to 4gb ram for it to run smoothly, with more expansion packs it will take more ram to run them, i would have minimum of 4 ram for it to rum smoothly even on windows xp.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    GreenCats wrote:

your processor 1.3ghz is this duo core? if so thats probably why it passed, if not then you don't really meet the requirements more ram would help to my laptop has the right size processor but i had to upgrade my ram from the orginal 2gb to 4gb ram for it to run smoothly, with more expansion packs it will take more ram to run them, i would have minimum of 4 ram for it to rum smoothly even on windows xp.
    About how much is this all going to cost? Like if I have 1.3 ghz can I upgrade to 5. ghz? About how much do you hink that will cost? Also what about RAM I want to update to 4-6 GB of RAM. Can you do this for a laptop?
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited February 2013
    Look up your computer and check the RAM in a search engine. Once you get the name or make of your RAM, then look it up to find out how much it cost. The prices have gone down drastically, I just bought 2- 4GB RAM sticks for $72.00 USD. I have seen the 2GB RAM sticks go for $30 USD, a pair.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited February 2013
    JHBrown wrote:

But I have an HP Notebook and my sims games run fine. It lags when it snows and rains a bit but it's not terrible. I only have windows 7 on mine... :/
  • Options
    DixetaDixeta Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2013
    I understand your irritation. Ever since Seasons came out I've been reading the forums and trying to find a solution. My game just became unplayable. I think I've tried everything I've read here. Nothing works. It just crashes randomly.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited March 2013
    JHBrown wrote:

My laptop is below the requirments.(it says my CPU is too slow) but my game runs pretty good, of course I get the occasional routing issues or my sim magically jumps out of bed, but my game doesn't really freeze unless I overload the game with mods.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    GreenCats wrote:

You're welcome, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Seasons is a pretty demanding EP as I understand it so it could cause some extra lag on lower end machines. Each major patch like this also introduces more features and so places more demands on your pc, and that could be another reason.

As another poster suggested, you could look into getting additional RAM.

CC is certainly one of the major known causes of lag, so the very first thing I would try is getting rid of anything with which you can bear to part. Some mods (e.g. Twallan's Story Progression) can also place extra demands on your pc, though some are also geared towards reducing lag and sorting out bugs (e.g. Twallan's Overwatch - get it if you don't have it already).

In terms of game-play, you could try turning off memories, turning down your graphics settings, and playing in smaller worlds (or worlds with fewer sims). It's not great to have to make compromises like these, I know, but it's just about deciding what trade-offs you're willing to make.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    JHBrown wrote:

My laptop is below the requirments.(it says my CPU is too slow) but my game runs pretty good, of course I get the occasional routing issues or my sim magically jumps out of bed, but my game doesn't really freeze unless I overload the game with mods.

Yeh, I ran my game for about a year on a 1.4GHz processor for about a year and it was basically fine on fairly low settings. I was mostly using it for building though.

It just depends how much you care about sacrificing certain freedoms: to build massive, detailed mansions; to play long games in huge worlds; to have things look really, really pretty.

It's also important to remember that running the game with specs that don't quite measure up can be really damaging for your pc. I knew my laptop was nearing the end of its lifespan anyway, so I didn't mind the risk involved in causing it loads of extra stress.
  • Options
    marinarose1395marinarose1395 Posts: 39
    edited March 2013
    JHBrown wrote:

I have a year old acer laptop and have been running every single expansion pack just fine, no lags, glitches, anything. Runs exactly the same as just running the vanilla game.
  • Options
    taylor7878taylor7878 Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2013
    I use windows 8 new laptop although I got a gamming one but it runs sims brilliant in high specs never crashed.

I did pay a lot off money but a knew a had to for the game and all the expansion packs to work.
  • Options
    NameGaniNameGani Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2013
    Random 2 cents about hardware upgrades:

www.crucial.com is a good place to get at least info for compatible hardware upgrades. They also have competitive pricing and refund policies - or you can take the information and go somewhere else to find the upgrades. I recently got a 4Gx2 RAM pack (for desktop) through them for about $55 USD.
  • Options
    lpmartinlpmartin Posts: 163
    edited November 2013
    The Sims 3 runs fine on HP laptops. Believe me; I use no other brand and I have been playing The Sims 3 sinse it's release...on an HP laptop.