Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question for those with MacBook Pro.

I'm wondering how good it plays sims 3.
I have all the eps and sps except for Katy perry, although I'd probably only load the ones I use the most on it.
And the MacBook would be the one without retina display because I'm cheap... Haha.
But yeah... Hoping to get it on my birthday which is also the day uni comes out...

Comments

• Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2013
    Just browse this forum....and then run far far away back to PC if you want to play Sims. LIke I've said before, I love my MacBook Pro (mid-2009) for everything else (including other games like World of Warcraft) but not the Sims. It crashes all the time.
  • Options
    lindsay1994123lindsay1994123 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I have a PC already that plays sims excellent.
    But I need a new laptop because the one I have now is garbage.. And if it could play sims also for while I am travelling, that would be perfect!
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2013
    Well I can play for about an hour before it crashes, so that's something. Some people can't play at all on their Mac. A few say they have no problems, but I haven't experienced that personally.
  • Options
    amsicalamsical Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    I bought the macbook pro without the Retina Display too! It plays fine, apart from some crashing issues which you can read about on here.

Other than that there are no issues with it. It's fast, graphics are good and it runs well! Hopefully this new patch will help with the crashing, or any update with UL. The crashing can be frustrating but since I've discovered using testingcheatsenabled true can trigger it I've noticed a marked improvement.
  • Options
    Miss_DeathMiss_Death Posts: 13 New Member
    edited February 2013
    You know there are good points and bad point of The Sims 3 on Mac Book Pro...

Good:
    -the graphics look so much better (depending on the specs of both your laptops) on my mac then they EVER did on my PC.
    -before Seasons it played much faster and better for me

Bad:
    -After the patches there are a lot of crashes and neglect from EA with all the problems we are facing.
    -CAS has turned into a battle zone with crashes.
    -sometimes sims turn weird colors before the crash.
    -freezing for un determined amount of times.

and it goes on.....

Honestly i sugest keep your old PC as the sim computer and get your Mac as your work computer.... I love my Mac so much... the one sad part is that my sims barley works on it....
  • Options
    berryfathuskyberryfathusky Posts: 22
    edited February 2013
    if you get the new one (like mine) its great. i got mine for christmas and s fa no issues really, exept for some cc not showing up(probably my fault) and the occasional crashing.this shouldnt be a problem if you save every 10 minuites or so.

its a lot fatder than on PC..it takes about 30s - 1m to start up on mine and just for everyday stuuf its way faster and simpler than PCs :D
  • Options
    erowland93erowland93 Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    I got my Macbook Pro in August 2012. I had some crashing problems before the 1.50 update. But now my game runs smoothly! Granted, I have only played 3 hours straight since the 1.50 patch, but that's about all I could take before I felt like not playing The Sims anymore! But I don't have any crashing issues so far! :) (knock on wood)
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited February 2013
    I've had my Pro since 2010 and i've pretty much been playing sims on it ever since. I'd say stay away from playing Seasons or Showtime on Pro, the other games run much better. I was having major crash problems with Seasons & Showtime and now that I removed them, playing is a breeze. I hated to see them go but I rather play my game in peace.

Edit: Maybe you can download the latest patch and Seasons will work, not sure about Showtime. I just opted to steer clear of those EP's and so I can save room for Uni.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    godzillasimsgodzillasims Posts: 11
    edited February 2013
    Hi all the Sims friends,

I have no problem playing the Sims 3 on my mac, i'm running on the latest patch 1.48. I bought the Sims 3 in January 2013. I play the game everyday. I haven't experienced any crash or graphics issue.
    My graphic settings for this game, i set each of the attributes to low or medium and my game has no lag. before this, i set all the graphics settings to the max, the result was my Sims could barely move.

I have the Sims 3 with 3 expansion packs: Ambitions, World Adventures and Seasons.

I own MacBook Pro 13'' (no Retina) Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB.

I love my mac. Good luck if you're going to try the Sims 3 in a Mac world :)
  • Options
    sweetescapismsweetescapism Posts: 14 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I play on a mid 2012 macbook pro 13" and i have latenight, generations, pets, supernatural, seasons and fast lane stuff installed. I also play with some custom content- mostly clothes and hairs, as well as a couple of cars. My game runs perfectly, except for some lag with snow. However, I do save every 10- 15 minutes, but i did that when i played on pc as well because while they might not have as many problems as macs, the crashed too, and as far as my experience of the sims goes, always did even on sims 1.

there are lots of tips and stuff out there to improve performance on mac. e.g. i usually either force quit everything before i start sims if i haven't been on my mac very long, or if it has been on for a couple of hours already i completely restart. i also have little things like the in game store turned off and really limit the amount of custom content i have installed.

at the moment, my game is running better than my best pal's, who is using a pc. she has far more problems with crashing than i do. however, i would look around the forums and read about the problems that people are having playing on macs right now. if you want a new computer just to play sims on, i would give it some serious thought, however macs are soooo much better than pc for literally everything else, and for me having the sims run smoothly on my mac is just an added bonus to an amazing computer.
  • Options
    vanacakesvanacakes Posts: 353
    edited February 2013
    Hi all the Sims friends,

I have no problem playing the Sims 3 on my mac, i'm running on the latest patch 1.48. I bought the Sims 3 in January 2013. I play the game everyday. I haven't experienced any crash or graphics issue.
    My graphic settings for this game, i set each of the attributes to low or medium and my game has no lag. before this, i set all the graphics settings to the max, the result was my Sims could barely move.

I have the Sims 3 with 3 expansion packs: Ambitions, World Adventures and Seasons.

I own MacBook Pro 13'' (no Retina) Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB.

I love my mac. Good luck if you're going to try the Sims 3 in a Mac world :)

But what about the people like me who love to make sims and build houses and rarely actually play the game? i spend so much time working on a sim and its so frustrating to have sims crash in CAS all the time :/
    Plus if i lower the quality anymore the pictures i take for my blog and contests would be crap. theyre bad enough as it is.