The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*apartment question*...

it's relevant to Uni for two reasons: this is an active page so I know I'll get a response + when I get UNI I'll want to place an apartment so this will help me. Here's my question...

Forgive my ignorance, but I have Late Night so I have the apartment buildings, but want to play in another world... Appaloosa Plains, the pet world, how can I live in an apartment in that world? I've placed the "shell", but it won't let me select it to live as if it were a functioning apartment... it only lets me buy it at $50K... I want to RENT... NOT buy... So can anyone tell me how to do this?

I'll probably do the same for UNI so I want to make sure I know before I try.

Thanks Simmers. :D

Comments

• Options
    EuroGirL87EuroGirL87 Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2013
    If you want to live in a highrise in another world you have to add the highrise lots from bin in edit town, or when making a new lot, add the shell and build the interior.
  • Options
    Banksy33Banksy33 Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hey, so the option to rent isn't available until you install university life, the late night expansion only lets you buy high rises, if you choose to build a high rise of your own, be sure to go into buydebug mode and place the public room marker in public areas, you can also place hidden room markers to black out npc rooms in the high rise to make it look like there are other ppl living in the building. otherwise all public areas such as the lobby will be included in the cost of buying not just the rooms on the top level.

Anyway hope this clears it up for you, happy simming :wink:
  • Options
    Leaborb192Leaborb192 Posts: 175 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Banksy33 wrote:
    Hey, so the option to rent isn't available until you install university life, the late night expansion only lets you buy high rises , if you choose to build a high rise of your own, be sure to go into buydebug mode and place the public room marker in public areas, you can also place hidden room markers to black out npc rooms in the high rise to make it look like there are other ppl living in the building. otherwise all public areas such as the lobby will be included in the cost of buying not just the rooms on the top level.

Seriously? That's stupid; then what's the point of having NL? ERR! It should be a very simple process: place the building, then move in and rent. What's your deal EA/Maxis? :evil:
  • Options
    iBreMeiBreMe Posts: 401 Member
    edited February 2013
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:
    Hey, so the option to rent isn't available until you install university life, the late night expansion only lets you buy high rises , if you choose to build a high rise of your own, be sure to go into buydebug mode and place the public room marker in public areas, you can also place hidden room markers to black out npc rooms in the high rise to make it look like there are other ppl living in the building. otherwise all public areas such as the lobby will be included in the cost of buying not just the rooms on the top level.

Seriously? That's stupid; then what's the point of having NL? ERR! It should be a very simple process: place the building, then move in and rent. What's your deal EA/Maxis? :evil:
    There is nothing wrong with the way it's set up in LN. Like he said if you want to rent, wait for Uni.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    iBreMe wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the way it's set up in LN. Like he said if you want to rent, wait for Uni.

Except for the fact that apartment buildings came with NL where you can RENT so logic dictates: you should be able to take those apartment buildings-- or build one-- place it anywhere and rent. But I suppose Maxis/EA wants my money so I'll have to just wait and pay for University... :?
  • Options
    iBreMeiBreMe Posts: 401 Member
    edited February 2013
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    iBreMe wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:

Except for the fact that apartment buildings came with NL where you can RENT so logic dictates: you should be able to take those apartment buildings-- or build one-- place it anywhere and rent. But I suppose Maxis/EA wants my money so I'll have to just wait and pay for University... :?
    Which building did you try and use?
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited February 2013
    No...even in Bridgeport, there isn't the option to RENT an apartment. You purchase them and then pay bills as you would a house. Just pretend that the initial cost is your First/Last/Security payment, and then the bills you pay regularly is the rent.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yahtzami wrote:
    No...even in Bridgeport, there isn't the option to RENT an apartment. You purchase them and then pay bills as you would a house. Just pretend that the initial cost is your First/Last/Security payment, and then the bills you pay regularly is the rent.

I suppose I could do that... but 50,000 is a HUGE first,last, and SD. Yikes! LOL
    ...Time to pop-in some cheat codes as my Sim-self only has $90... I'm a self-employed painter. :lol:
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    iBreMe wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:

Ok I mean no disrespect in what I'm about to say that's the first thing I want to get out. The second thing is you keep saying NL which stands for Night Life which was from Sims2. The Sims3 equivalent is Late Night so the functions of Night Life don't apply to this new franchise game. Second part is that in the Sims2 University came out as the first Expansion pack so the ability to have roomates came at a very early start of the game. However in this game we are getting this pack as Expansion pack 9 with that ability. Which I honestly believe the ability to have roomates is part of the code for renting a house in both expansion packs. I know it's frustrating for you but you got to realize that the Sims2 and Sims3 use different engines and have different line ups. If they followed the same release pattern as they did for Sims2 people would get upset.

Again I mean no disrespect just giving my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Pretoda wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    iBreMe wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:

Ok I mean no disrespect in what I'm about to say that's the first thing I want to get out. The second thing is you keep saying NL which stands for Night Life which was from Sims2. The Sims3 equivalent is Late Night so the functions of Night Life don't apply to this new franchise game. Second part is that in the Sims2 University came out as the first Expansion pack so the ability to have roomates came at a very early start of the game. However in this game we are getting this pack as Expansion pack 9 with that ability. Which I honestly believe the ability to have roomates is part of the code for renting a house in both expansion packs. I know it's frustrating for you but you got to realize that the Sims2 and Sims3 use different engines and have different line ups. If they followed the same release pattern as they did for Sims2 people would get upset.

NO that was actually very helpful. I just opened up the game to see if I was going crazy; I guess I never realized that you don't "rent" you simply "buy a lot" but the price is cheaper... but you only have access to ONE apartment, the others are blacked out, which made me believe that you are renting an apartment. I see now. It had just been so long that I forgot how to play the game. My bad. Thanks people for your help. I now have egg on my face. :oops:

So I guess I can't wait for UNI so I can make fully functioning apartments. I'll just put the buildings in and wait I guess.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,518 Member
    edited February 2013
    So when I install Uni I'll be able to only rent the Late Nite Apartments?
  • Options
    NaeRayNaeRay Posts: 297 New Member
    edited February 2013
    IF you uninstall Uni you will not be able to rent apartments because that comes with Uni, you will be purchasting them and paying bills not rent.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Pretoda wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    iBreMe wrote:
    Leaborb192 wrote:
    Banksy33 wrote:

NO that was actually very helpful. I just opened up the game to see if I was going crazy; I guess I never realized that you don't "rent" you simply "buy a lot" but the price is cheaper... but you only have access to ONE apartment, the others are blacked out, which made me believe that you are renting an apartment. I see now. It had just been so long that I forgot how to play the game. My bad. Thanks people for your help. I now have egg on my face. :oops:

So I guess I can't wait for UNI so I can make fully functioning apartments. I'll just put the buildings in and wait I guess.

Your welcome and it's ok people make mistakes all the time. *hands you a cookie*
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Yes and No. If you only have the Late Night Apartments and don't build one then yes. However if you build one or download from the exchange one that is already built then you can rent a non Late Night one.

• Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited February 2013
    The apartment lots must be residentual and must have the apartment mailbox. You do not need the shell. The shell is too limited and makes building look stupid. Most apartment buildings now days look cool and futuristic.

In my other neiborhood I built a apartment building that I lost do to crupt save game.

Edit:

I almost forgot I believe you can place apartment building in UL. I believe the apartment building may work a lot better after UL.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    The apartment lots must be residentual and must have the apartment mailbox. You do not need the shell. The shell is too limited and makes building look stupid. Most apartment buildings now days look cool and futuristic.

In my other neiborhood I built a apartment building that I lost do to crupt save game.

Edit:

I almost forgot I believe you can place apartment building in UL. I believe the apartment building may work a lot better after UL.

CLP isn't that fond of building so I think he was hoping they had brand new Apartment's that are premade besides the Late Night one.

As far as most apartment buildings looking cool and futuristic that isn't true in the slightest. There are some that are new that is true but alot of apartment buildings have a legacy that are still in use. I know my sister lives in a pretty famous apartment building I won't say which one for her safety and don't want to break the rules.