Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody else happy that Maxis will have something to with The Sims again?

It makes me happy to know that Maxis and The Sims series will be together again! Don't ask me why (I know it will still be the same group developing The Sims), but it gives me the warm fuzzies to see the Maxis logo on a The Sims game box!
in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400

Comments

• Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Maxis was always apart of The Sims, they just put their name back on it to make people happy. :-)
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited January 2013
    Dani is right.

Dont expect anything to change
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited January 2013
    danivixen wrote:
    Maxis was always apart of The Sims, they just put their name back on it to make people happy. :-)

Pretty much.

Although, I have missed that logo :mrgreen: But now it'll be out of place next to the rest of the Sims 3 series!

And it's not going to change much about how the games are made...so it's just one of those "oh that's a cool tidbit" things.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2013
    danivixen wrote:

That's not true at all, back in 2006 EA transferred responsibility for the Sims franchise to a new studio and Maxis went off to work on other things, Spore being the big one initially.

Will Wright and Maxis were not at all involved in the development of TS3.

You would be correct in saying, however, that many of the former Maxis developers were involved, as they were moved from Maxis to The Sims studio.

Last year, The Sims Studio became a part of EA Maxis again, which made Maxis involved with the development of The Sims franchise now. And of course Will Wright is no longer around, having left in 2009.

From 2006 to 2012, Maxis was not a part of the development of any products within "The Sims" franchise. They were still around, were still a studio, and were still doing things, but The Sims was not one of those things, in any way. But "some" of the people involved were former Maxis developers who were moved from the Maxis studio to the Sims studio.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    EA did the same thing with Apartment Life. They brought the Maxis label back and then announced that Apartment Life was the last expansion pack for the Sims 2, aprt from the stuff pack called Mansions and Gardens.

Now, EA has announced Island Paradise and one more expansion pack, and Maxis is supposedly part of the package again. Anyone seeing a pattern here? Dollars to doughnuts we start hearing about Sims 4 right after the Time Travel EP releases.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited January 2013
    I love how everyone's an expert on Maxis and video game development in general here :lol: I don't know where all of this information comes from in all of these threads, but I just enjoy the game regardless of who makes it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    I love how everyone's an expert on Maxis and video game development in general here :lol: I don't know where all of this information comes from in all of these threads, but I just enjoy the game regardless of who makes it.

I imagine most of it comes from people who actually read the news. That's where I get my information from anyway.
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited January 2013
    Stormkeep wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:

I imagine most of it comes from people who actually read the news. That's where I get my information from anyway.

Video game development detail makes headlines! :lol: That would actually be an improvement over some I've read lately...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    Video game development detail makes headlines! :lol: That would actually be an improvement over some I've read lately...

They do indeed make headlines at news organizations which report specifically on gaming news. For print news, PC Gamer tends to carry such details but it is a waste of money because the same news is on sites such as IGN and GamesRadar.

News such as reorganization at EA and their studios also makes it in the business or Entertainment sections (depending on the specifics of the news) of mainstream news such as the Wall Street Journal or USA Today.

When Maxis was removed from the sims development I read the story in every one of the above locations. When Will Wright left Maxis it was in every major newspaper that I read. When EA reorganized and reshuffled again last year, it again made news in all of the above.

That's why I said "read" the news. If a person's only source of news is mainstream telivision media, on the other hand...yah, you'd be hard pressed to find any news related to video games other than discussions about how they are responsible for some pyscho shooting up a theatre or something.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited January 2013
    TS3 was developed by EA-of-Canada. You don't even need to read the news to know that, it was printed on the box for TS3. It is where the flatchested canadian women joke comes from...

I'm glad that Maxis is returning to the franchise, because that means that their influence will return with it.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    TS3 was developed by EA-of-Canada. You don't even need to read the news to know that, it was printed on the box for TS3. It is where the flatchested canadian women joke comes from...

I'm glad that Maxis is returning to the franchise, because that means that their influence will return with it.

No, it's not. Only the name is returning...the label. The Sims team is still EA. Maxis has no input on the new expansion packs. Those were planned years in advance; I'm pretty sure University Life was in the planning stages while Showtime was being developed; me "evidence" is the fact that we have a coffee house zoning designation, and that University Life is going to have a coffee house with the required objects, including the barrista.

Maxis had nothing to do with it, nor do they have anything to do with anything else, except Sim City. The only reason EA *ever* trots out the Maxis label is to pacify the fans and dupe them into thinking that Maxis is making the games again.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Maxis had nothing to do with it, nor do they have anything to do with anything else, except Sim City. The only reason EA *ever* trots out the Maxis label is to pacify the fans and dupe them into thinking that Maxis is making the games again.

Except in this case it is more than just the label, the Sims Studio is now rolled into the Maxis division, which means they report to the same division head. That was not the case prior to the reorganization last year.

Granted, it's not a huge change if the the same studio is still doing the work (and it is), but a change in management can and does make a difference as well.
  • Options
    Creaky2005Creaky2005 Posts: 1,974 New Member
    edited January 2013
    this is a common misconception. when maxis logo was removed from the sim games, it meant their studio stopped working on the games. Sims 3 had nothing to do with maxis or the people that made sims 2 for the most part. If the maxis logo pops up again in relation to sims 3 products, then maxis is working on sims products again.
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    canitbeman wrote:
    It makes me happy to know that Maxis and The Sims series will be together again! Don't ask me why (I know it will still be the same group developing The Sims), but it gives me the warm fuzzies to see the Maxis logo on a The Sims game box!

Nothing has changed. The Sims team is now part of Maxis label again. But people are the same as always. :wink:
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited January 2013
    EA is a publisher/developer that brought out Maxis, Maxis was more than likely allowed to continue develop Sims 3 under EA vision while it EA coming from the fans and decided to allow the Maxis label to be put back on while it is still under EA's vision. Nothing goes out until EA approves it or have the last say. Maxis is no more than a puppet of EA as well as any other company owned by EA. As long as Maxis brings in the money, EA is/will be very happy. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    people are being ignorant, go do your research, at a certain point maxis stopped working on the sims 2 eps and had nothing to do with them or the sims 3. The development was handed over to another ea studio.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    After many years of successful titles in The Sims franchise, in 2006 Electronic Arts transferred all development responsibilities from the original developer, Maxis, to their newly created division initially named The Sims Division, later changed to the current name. Rod Humble was selected to lead this new team as the studio head. Maxis refocused their attention on their next project: Spore.[4] Scott Evans is the current General Manager of the Studio, and Lucy Bradshaw is the General Manager of EA Maxis.

Particularly, Will Wright and Maxis were not involved in the development of the latest title in the series, The Sims 3, although many developers of former Maxis products remained involved in its production. This third generation of the main series was developed entirely by The Sims Studio. However in 2012, The Sims Studio became a part of EA Maxis, which made Maxis involved with the development of The Sims franchise once again.