Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crashes when trying to save

So for the 5th time now, I've tried adding a 2nd floor to my house, and for the 5th time my game crashed while trying to save and I can start over again.

It happens every now and then that my game crashes when saving, so I always try to save regularly. It's annoying when I lose some progress, but okay, it happens. Now that I have to start over the remodel AGAIN, it's becoming a real pain.

I recently installed Seasons, it's currently winter in my game and there's lots of snow. One of my Sims got engaged and I moved her fiancee into my household. Hence I need the extra space in my house by adding a 2nd floor.

On my 4th try I only added the walls, floors and wallpapers and no furniture. Game crashed after saving. On my 5th try I made the changes to the 1st floor first (making room to add the stairs and removing a bathroom). Saved the game and that worked. Moved on to the 2nd floor, again only adding the stairs, walls, floors and wallpapers. Tried to save and it crashed again. I think it's really weird that it happens specifically after adding a 2nd floor to the house, it doesn't matter if I change anything on the 1st floor in either build/buy mode.

Did anyone else notice a similar issue? Maybe it's because of the snow?

Comments

• Options
    10eliblue10eliblue Posts: 2,280 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Maybe build in Summer, and/or use "Save As"? It's a common issue, maybe build on a different Lot.
  • Options
    amandacoleneamandacolene Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    this is a really well documented problem thats been going on for a couple of months w/o any word that a fix is in the pipes. i've been playing since sims 1 and i've never had an issue go on so long or impact the game so negatively and have it NOT be fixed like this.

there are several work arounds out there. unfortunately none of them work for me. i can't have a large sprawling 1 bdrm because my computer needs more ram and gets angry if i load a large lot :-/
  • Options
    idkairplaneidkairplane Posts: 79
    edited January 2013
    I can't remember where but somewhere on this forum(or another) it was suggested to evict the family(to the clipboard), save the house(if you want it), bulldoze the lot, place the house, move the family back in and then attempt to modify and "Save As". It worked for me and I haven't had a hard crash to the desktop with that save since I did it.
  • Options
    DayzeeDayzee Posts: 85 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for your answers, and pointing out that this is common problem. I actually hadn't played the game in quite some time and skipped on the last 3 EP's. When I read about Seasons it resparked my interest, and I got that EP to play with.

I did as idkairplane suggested, and that worked. Unfortunately now I'm getting all sets of new problems. My main sim is in the designer career and as I went to a house to decorate a laundry room, I couldn't access the 2nd floor of the house. I bought a washing machine, but it didn't deduct from the budget, plus it didn't check off in the list. As I tried to exit, I couldn't return to my own lot.

I closed the game and tried again, same thing. Then wanted to buy a misletoe for my own lot, but I got the 'insufficient funds' message. My sims own $7000 bucks and the misletoe was just $55-ish.

I closed the game again and am going to give it one other go. I had today off and was looking forward to just playing the game and have some fun. I can't believe it has gotten this buggy and frustrating. After several hours of 'playing', my household has made no progress at all, and I may even have to start completely over. :(
  • Options
    bven49bven49 Posts: 10
    edited January 2013
    This exact thing is happening to me. I'm trying to build a second story, and it's winter, everything you said. I'm going to try the trick idkairplane suggested. I hope that it fixes it.

Edit: It appears to have worked. Thank you for the help, I hope that it can help other people, too.
    Post edited by Unknown User on