Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

bootcamp

Are there any other bootcamp users who are still experiencing crashing?

-_-

Comments

• Options
    wayusawayusa Posts: 300
    edited January 2013
    Oh no! I hope some more knowledgeable users can help you out. It'd help if you give us your laptop info...

My gaming experience is a lot better for sure. The one and only problem I have is that when I save & quit, every now and then it just tells me that the program has stopped working, crashed I guess. It saves anyway. Idk what's causing that or how I can stop that.
  • Options
    Simmer2009Simmer2009 Posts: 123 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

• Options
    fenchel21fenchel21 Posts: 23
    edited January 2013
    Do you use Windows 32-bit or the 64-bit version? I tried 32-bit and the crashing was worse than on my Mac partition (can only play for 10 seconds, Error 12 all the time, works slightly better in windowed mode but still crashes after 15 minutes). Someone in another thread mentioned that the 32-bit version doesn't use all of your RAM (which is true, only 2,79% of my 4 GB were used) and playing Sims is not possible because of that. I gave up playing Sims because it's so frustrating, but I'll try it with the 64-bit version once I'm in the mood for another re-install of Windows AND the game. I recently got 8GB RAM, too, this might also helps.
  • Options
    tiranakitiranaki Posts: 14 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Thank you for making this thread! I've been thinking of posting but am forum-shy. Instead I've been lurking these forums for months and decided to go ahead and install Windows 7 64-bit through Bootcamp on my Mac. You're not the only one experiencing crashes on Bootcamp, it's so bad I keep switching back and forth between Mac and Windows, and I can't decide which is worse.

I don't get as many crashes on Lion anymore but have to run the game on all low settings and it looks terrible, and still lags pretty badly (30 minutes in-game just to walk out the door, an hour in-game just to go from one wing of a house to another, I don't think that's how it's supposed to be). It doesn't lag on Windows but if I so much as load map view it will crash within seconds to a minute. Only on map view (so far, no crashes on CAS at all nor build/buy nor when saving). No CC, all updated patches, DEP, updated drivers, machine more than meets minimum requirements, etc (I've spent more time looking for fixes than actually playing lately), nothing seems to work.

I really want it to work on Bootcamp, I'm so tired of the lag ._.

*edited to fix typos*
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @fenchel21 I'm using 64 bit. I had 32 bit on for a while and I thought that was what was causing the crashing, so I changed to 64 bit...but the crashing is still there so it can't be that.

@wayusa Sims 3 on mac is awful :( It's so laggy and buggy and generally horrible. HOWEVER, I could put up with it if it weren't for the constant crashing on that side as well. I'm so upset. I thought I'd finally be able to play Sims again...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Simmer2009 wrote:
    @fenchel21 I'm using 64 bit. I had 32 bit on for a while and I thought that was what was causing the crashing, so I changed to 64 bit...but the crashing is still there so it can't be that.

Uh-oh.. that doesn't sound too promising.. :cry: I have to admit that aside from my current Sims aversion (after countless crashes and re-installs one needs a break!) switching to 64 bit kind of was my light at the end of the tunnel. Now I'm in doubt about it. However, you could still try it with more RAM (that's what the folks over at the Windows area usually say about the crashing issues) and try the workarounds EA came up with (for example the DEP thingie: https://help.ea.com/article/dep-settings-for-sims-3-on-vista-and-windows-7). You are not alone – neither with the bootcamp issues nor with Sims 3 + Windows troubles in general. I've seen many complaints by users whose computers meet EA's requirements by far. Good luck with the workarounds & if nothing helps, let's hope that EA will come up with a patch that fixes the issues (:roll: I doubt that they'll ever do something about the problems Mac users face, but considering the numerous complaints from Windows users they will maybe fix that if anything).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks. I've already tried the DEP thing...it didn't work either :( Hopefully a patch will eventually be brought out...but I'm already past even daring to hope that the mac version will ever work. I'll try contacting customer support, maybe they can help (HA!). Thanks for your help anyway :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Simmer2009 wrote:
    Thanks. I've already tried the DEP thing...it didn't work either :( Hopefully a patch will eventually be brought out...but I'm already past even daring to hope that the mac version will ever work. I'll try contacting customer support, maybe they can help (HA!). Thanks for your help anyway :)

I also upgraded to 64bit now and - I can't believe it! - it works like a charm. I played for three hours today, trying out everything that previously caused crashes (from simple things like loading the game to building, CAS, saving however and whenever I wanted..) and it worked the whole time. The game itself runs very smooth and fast and looks good, especially because I can finally play with medium to high graphic settings.
    BUT at first the crashing continued. Since we had the same problems I maybe can help you because I tried out many things today and got my game to work.

You should download Mod The Sims' "Crash Log Analyzer", it's a program that tells you why your game crashes and hence helps you deciding what step to take next.
    In my case, it told me that the crashing was caused by bad CC and because the game couldn't find my graphic card. Fixing it was a little bit complicated, but it worked without getting rid of CC or buying a new card, so it's worth it. If you tell me what Crash Log Analyzer has to say about your game, I can maybe help you! :D
  • Options
    SndDrln419SndDrln419 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Where do you get the "Crash Log Analyzer" ?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    SndDrln419 wrote:
    Where do you get the "Crash Log Analyzer" ?

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=416883 :)