The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

alright, this is like the millionth post and no one is helpin me....please someone read!@

my video card needs to be updated, but, how do i update it? do i have to buy a new one? or, do i update it on my computer....? if i have to buy a new one, which one is best to buy for the game? if i can update it from my computer, where do i upgrade it? please someone gimme an answer, ive had enough of this... :cry: :x

Comments

• Options
    EilonwynnEilonwynn Posts: 309 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've read it a few times, but without ANY details, this is a question that's impossible to answer. What video card do you have now? How old is it? How much memory does it have? Have you updated the drivers for it by following any number of another threads' instructions on how to do so? (hint: Go to the manufacturer's website). Is it a laptop? Is it a Desktop? Is it a Mac? Do you have PCI, AGP, or PCI-E slots in your computer? ANY of this would help in getting your question answered.
  • Options
    melissawarholmelissawarhol Posts: 133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I helped you with what information you provided.
    No one can even begin to help you beyond what I said without knowing what computer you have first of all. How old it is. What kind of card you have now. And so much more.
  • Options
    papanizpapaniz Posts: 200 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i know nuthin bout the card
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    my comp is like 2 yrs old
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it's a dell computer not laptop
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i dont know bout those slots though....and how do i update my drivers?
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited June 2009
    like others said no one can help you without specs you can go here for them

http://www.ea.com/games/the-sims-3

edit i found your specs on your other thread you havea 96mb chip and no graphics card you need a new graphics card

Display Devices
    Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02
    Display Memory: 96.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4299 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 4/5/2005 14:38:44, 38014 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 4/5/2005 14:46:28, 830684 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6632-11CF-5363-DF21A3C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2572
    SubSys ID: 0x01D51028
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run
  • Options
    PedigruPedigru Posts: 650 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I tried to help you in your other thread. Not too sure why you have multiple threads going.

Your computer is a rather old Dell. You have 512mb Ram, you need to double that at least. You have an integrated video card (no card it's just part of your mother board). You'll want to buy a new video card but your power supply will also need to be upgraded to run the new card.

In my opinion, you should save/splurge on a whole new computer. Specifically one geared toward gaming. A bare bones gaming rig will run The Sims 3 fine and cost you less then a grand easy.
  • Options
    CwhazzooCwhazzoo Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, I was writing this while the people above added that stuff. Ya based on your specs your computer is definitely not up to par with the Sims 3. Hate to give the bad news, but hey just save up and buy/build a new one.

Here is a site that will tell you all of that and were to update your drivers! I just barely thought of this. It should fix your problem.

Follow these steps:

IT MAY LOOK LIKE A LOT BUT IT IS VERY VERY VERY SIMPLE, TRUST ME!

1. Go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
    2. In the drop down menu labeled --select product-- choose The Sims 3-PC
    3. Click "Can You Run It?"
    After you do that It should show a little brain being picked apart and it may ask you to run ActiveX choose yes or whatever the option is.
    4.It should now have shown up with a chart of all the components that a game uses and if they pass or fail. For the Sims 3 it only show required and not recommended. If it has an X or says Failed your computer, no matter how many driver updates, will not run the game. You will either have to upgrade the said part(not recommended, upgrading can be very bad if you dont know what you are doing or what you need) or get a new computer (in your case this is the best option. BUT if it says pass then go down to were it says "Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)" and there should be info on your driver and a link you can click on to update it. Just follow the link and the instructions and you should be set.

Enjoy simming.