Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't buy simpoints - Should be fixed now

Update:
Hi guys,

I took your cases and talked to some people, I just got word that all your accounts should be able to purchase simpoints now.

Thanks
It should be working for everyone now, thanks Russkii for passing this along. If anyone's still having problems, you're welcome to post here.

Original post:
Hello!

I joined up a while ago, but only got the Sims 3 today and while it's installing I've been registering my games and looking at stuff in the store, but when I try to buy points the page says "Be Right Back!Our site appears to be down right now. Don’t worry, we have one of our best people working on it." every other page works fine and I've tried in both chrome and firefox(with the same message on both), refreshing, etc. but no luck.

Is it just me, or is the page broken? If it's just me, any tips to get it to work would be appreciated ^^

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    melissa0127melissa0127 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited December 2012

While I'm not getting that specific error, I too cannot seem to purchase sim points or a game. It keeps telling me the payment info is incorrect. I've done it in all caps, all lower case, and proper punctuation with two different cards and it says the same thing both times. I've also tried to purchase them via Origin and I get the same results, payment info invalid. I know for a fact there is more than enough to cover the cost of 5,000 points and a $20 EP...... I want to get these while the sale is still going on!
  • Options
    idleRATidleRAT Posts: 56 Member
    edited December 2012
    While I'm not getting that specific error, I too cannot seem to purchase sim points or a game. It keeps telling me the payment info is incorrect. I've done it in all caps, all lower case, and proper punctuation with two different cards and it says the same thing both times. I've also tried to purchase them via Origin and I get the same results, payment info invalid. I know for a fact there is more than enough to cover the cost of 5,000 points and a $20 EP...... I want to get these while the sale is still going on!
    Aww, looks like EA don't want our money! Just kidding, but it feels like it after a while of trying xP I know what you mean though, I don't want to miss out on the special offers/deals because I can't get the points in time. Hopefully someone can help with your problem as well. Did you phone your bank and ask them about it? Probably not the same thing, but my sister couldn't use her card on a clothes website the other day and she phoned her bank and they said they'd blocked that website or something like that? Even if not that, they might have some ideas.

You've helped me a bit though, if you can get that far you must be getting past the page I'm stuck on(this one: https://store.thesims3.com/buysimpoints ), so perhaps it's my computer. I'll have to try using a different one. I did buy a couple of expansions on the origin site yesterday though, so maybe it'll work if I buy the points there instead, but I wanted to get the referral stuff for referring someone on here, so not ideal!.
  • Options
    darkstar0002darkstar0002 Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    @idleRat:

Try clearing your browsing history, then returning to the Buy SimPoints page. This method has been known to fix certain Store BRB page problems.

Which browser and version are you using?

@melissa0127:

If you are having trouble saving your credit card information it is best to contact EA customer support. Troubling that multiple cards wouldn't go through.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sims3fan1986Sims3fan1986 Posts: 443 Member
    edited December 2012
    I can't buy sim points too. When i try to do it comes up with styerm error try at a lately time. Plz help
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Hey Melissa, I found this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/545146.page it looks like loads of people are having the same problem as you, I can't see any real solution there, but apparently people have been told to contact paypal if they're using that. Might be worth a try for you.
    @idleRat:

Try clearing your browsing history, then returning to the Buy SimPoints page. This method has been known to fix certain Store BRB page problems.

Which browser and version are you using?
    I've tried all that, I'm afraid. It's not my computer, but it might be my account as I've found that logging out then clicking to buy simspoints takes me to a slightly different url and lets me select a package. After that it prompts me to login and it seems like it'll work, but this is my first points purchase and so I want to get the referral rewards(cheerleader outfit), so the logging out method is no good as it won't retain the referral, surely? As for browsers, I use chrome normally, but I did try in firefox and ie as well, with no difference. I sent a support ticket via the EA site, so hopefully they'll have an answer for me. Thanks for answering here ^^ If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to try them :3

@Sims3fan1986: Are you getting the same error as me? If so, log out of your account, click the "buy simpoints" link and choose the package you want and it should tell you to login then let you buy them.
  • Options
    VirtuosityVirtuosity Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm having the same problem. I get to the confirm purchase page after entering all my card info, and then there's some kind of problem and I get dumped back to the previous page.

Here's the interesting part: I checked my credit card transactions and there are 5 (I tried it 5 times) temporary transactions for $1.00 from EA. This isn't the first time I've purchased SimPoints, so I suspect EA's system is borked since the charge transactions are trying to go through.

I wonder why those charges were successful, but EA won't let it go through? Guess I'll see if it's resolved tomorrow, or I'll have to start making phone calls. Or not give EA any more money. (good thing? :))
  • Options
    TheShielsTheShiels Posts: 60
    edited December 2012
    Virtuosity wrote:
    I'm having the same problem. I get to the confirm purchase page after entering all my card info, and then there's some kind of problem and I get dumped back to the previous page.

Here's the interesting part: I checked my credit card transactions and there are 5 (I tried it 5 times) temporary transactions for $1.00 from EA. This isn't the first time I've purchased SimPoints, so I suspect EA's system is borked since the charge transactions are trying to go through.

I wonder why those charges were successful, but EA won't let it go through? Guess I'll see if it's resolved tomorrow, or I'll have to start making phone calls. Or not give EA any more money. (good thing? :))

I am also having the same problem as above.
    Have tried to purchase the monty vista package twice, both time it said there has been an error, try again later - and after reading this post I checked my bank history - I have a $1 pending for EA, I better not get charged for a purchase that never HAPPENED!!

Grrrr.
  • Options
    melissa0127melissa0127 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited December 2012

I'm not sure what the problem was, but it seems to be working today. I'm wondering if it was just an overload on the site since it was Christmas night and everyone was probably trying to buy stuff on both EA and Origin. But I was able to buy them today via Origin, I didn't try via TS3.com

Thanks for the replies everyone!
  • Options
    ZorktroidZorktroid Posts: 2 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread, as I'm still encountering the same problem. I get to the point where I send the order through and a system error occurs. I've cleared my browser history, manually entered my debit card information time and again.

I was able to buy Monte Vista. Looking at my card, I've got four pending $1.30 transactions - I am hoping this doesn't mean I'll be surprised with four chunks of 24360 Simpoints and the corresponding chunks missing from my bank account.

Here's the thing that makes me uneasy:

On thesims3.com, 24360 Simpoints costs AU$160.
    On Origin, 24360 Simpoints costs AU$192.

Issues of justifying two different prices for the same product with the same method of delivery aside, there is no way I am going to pay $32 more just for the sake of troubleshooting EA's problem.
  • Options
    lizzies23lizzies23 Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2012
    I am having the same issue with the webpage coming up and saying"Be Right Back!Our site appears to be down right now. Don’t worry, we have one of our best people working on it." and I tried logging out as sugessted as above and then trying to go to the buy simpoints page. I then went to the bundle i wanted and clicked next typed in my password and the same message appeared yet again. This isn't the only time this has happened either.I eventually got fed up the first time had gotten an EA Card and got the Outdoor Living Stuff pack and a few items after finally being able to get some simpoints in my account somehow...
  • Options
    AccaciaAccacia Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I have the same problem. Have tried with both a regular CC and with paypal. Tried with both IE and Firefox. Nothing works, except now I have four $1 pending transactions. If I get charged for all four (top point pack) I'll have a heart attack.
  • Options
    Ashcroft31Ashcroft31 Posts: 1,154 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Right so this is bigger than we thought, because i'm getting emails and messages from others that are too having the same problem,

so i think its time to start turning up the heat on this one and make some noise so the development team get to see this,

also as a backup they might want to activate paypal over on origin.com for simpoints as 99% of users use that payment option

otherwise this is just going to go round and round in circles and is never going to get resolved at this rate,

so come on guy's start sorting this one out for heaven sake
  • Options
    AccaciaAccacia Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Well, after spending time in live chat, I have received zero help. After implying it was my fault for awhile, the person finally said they would 'forward it to the experts' and they'd get back to me in 5-7 days. That doesn't get me sales prices. EA apparently doesn't want my money and seem to be refusing to acknowledge there's even a problem. They did at least assure me those $1 holds won't turn into charges.
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    Accacia wrote:
    Well, after spending time in live chat, I have received zero help. After implying it was my fault for awhile, the person finally said they would 'forward it to the experts' and they'd get back to me in 5-7 days. That doesn't get me sales prices. EA apparently doesn't want my money and seem to be refusing to acknowledge there's even a problem. They did at least assure me those $1 holds won't turn into charges.

I'm having a similar problem. Tried two different credit cards on two different browsers, phoned my CC company in case the rejections got flagged (they had). It's frustrating because one purchase went through (I could not see anyway to buy more than one sim point package.)

Anyway, if you're interested in sale items, they should provide a rain check like any normal store would.

What about it, EA? Is this just a sneaky way to keep us from getting items at sale prices? Extend the sale, please.
  • Options
    xXVampressaXxxXVampressaXx Posts: 16
    edited January 2013
    Accacia wrote:

This is pretty much exactly how my experience was. My mum and I (since we were seeing if maybe it was one of our cards that wasn't working) both were charged two $1 charges, and yet the Simpoints purchase won't go through. I waited three intervals of thirty minutes- first two with live chat, next with phone. I was about ready to pull my hair out the whole time, as none of it was really helpful. I just hope they fix it soon. :/
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    For the people getting as far as the "buy simpoints" page, but getting transaction errors, I haven't come across that so far. I'd suggest either contacting EA customer service or if you haven't already or try buying points from the origin store instead(http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/home/ I don't think you can get the monte vista bundle there though if anyone's trying to get that). You could also try buying via the in-game store page if you haven't tried that yet, it does seem to be working for me, but I didn't complete a transaction there. If someone tries it post and say if it works for you or not please so others can try if it does. ^^
    lizzies23 wrote:
    I am having the same issue with the webpage coming up and saying"Be Right Back!Our site appears to be down right now. Don’t worry, we have one of our best people working on it." and I tried logging out as sugessted as above and then trying to go to the buy simpoints page. I then went to the bundle i wanted and clicked next typed in my password and the same message appeared yet again. This isn't the only time this has happened either.I eventually got fed up the first time had gotten an EA Card and got the Outdoor Living Stuff pack and a few items after finally being able to get some simpoints in my account somehow...
    ^This is the exact problem I was having. I filed a ticket with CS and the support person escalated it to someone else who said they'd try getting to that page on my account and see if it worked for them, then I didn't hear from them for a day or two and tried again today and it worked. I'm not sure if they fixed something on the site or the CS guy changed something on my account. See if it's working now, clear your browser's cache, etc. and if it still won't load the buy simpoints page, then send in a ticket on EA's help site(which I found here: http://help.ea.com/ ).

I've found a few other threads about this too, worth reading through in case there's anything there that works:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/545146.page
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/180/545146.page#8987861 <---problems with debit cards(vs credit cards)? I bought mine with a debit card(UK), so that may not be accurate anymore.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Can-t-buy-Sim-Points/td-p/2216 <--- Crincrit(EA help agent?) says to contact EA directly

Last thought, if you haven't already, go to this page: https://store.thesims3.com/myAccount.html and add your card/paypal details there under account details->billing information or account details paypal. It'll save you filling it out every time if nothing else.

My problem is fixed now, but feel free to keep posting if you can't buy simpoints! I'll update the first post tomorrow and list all the different problems people are having. luckily I had the free points you get for registering games, so I was still able to get some of the deals, but it's aggravating knowing you're missing out, hopefully EA will get this sorted for everyone. If you file a ticket or use the live chat thing, I would think they'd have a record of it, so do mention what deals/offers you're trying to get when you report it to EA(I don't know if they can/will give you the offer once it's working, but it's worth a try).
  • Options
    ZorktroidZorktroid Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2013
    What about it, EA? Is this just a sneaky way to keep us from getting items at sale prices? Extend the sale, please.
    Doh hoh hoh, if only it seemed that simple. Like I said, if I tried buying Simpoints on Origin, they'd cost $32 more for no good reason. That is where my red feelings lie on this issue; I can understand technical problems and am usually a chill, non-confrontational meek little Zorkie.

It's not even a product we're trying to buy, not really. We're trying to convert one currency to another, and have it sit in EA's bank where it collects interest...which would normally happen with the big Simpoint bundles, if not for the Goodie Box party...

This is not helping my NYR to lay off the conspiracy theories.

EDIT: Finally had money transfer to my PayPal account. Tried it. Still doesn't work. At least it's stopped bugging me about my CC details being incorrect (which they weren't).
  • Options
    SIMGURURUSSKIISIMGURURUSSKII Posts: 1,247 SimGuru (retired)
    edited January 2013
    Hi guys,

I took your cases and talked to some people, I just got word that all your accounts should be able to purchase simpoints now.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hi guys,

Thanks
    Thank you, Russkii! I'll add that into my first post and hope everyone sees it :3
  • Options
    kathymrtnzkathymrtnz Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Hi! I am trying to purchase sim points and it will not allow me. I was able to purchase before, but now it keeps telling me that my account information is invalid. I am sure that I am using the correct information. Somehow, it keeps charging my bank account $1 everytime that I am trying to purchase and receiving the same invalid message.
    Please help!
    Thank you!