Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomy players?

I turn to autonomy that is full, and just watch the family. I really only intervene when they step too out of bounds with my idea for this story. Autonomy works fine for me, if I first play while the husband and wife meet, they pretty much stick to tasks that are mundane, or the hobbies I first played for them. Sometimes I pin whims, and they get around to them (this may be coincidental.)
Autonomous households stick on short lives, I won't get bored this way.

Any fun stories, or why you don't like this game play.

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Actually i've never tried to just step back and watch... maybe i'll try it one of this days...
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I never play completely like this, but I try to have a day or at least a few hours during a sim week where I let my sims do whatever. Some of my sims have more freedom regarding this than others. Not too much happens, but I like seeing sweet interactions among family members. I also have a lot of mods in my game, which help a bit I think.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I turn to autonomy that is full, and just watch the family. I really only intervene when they step too out of bounds with my idea for this story. Autonomy works fine for me, if I first play while the husband and wife meet, they pretty much stick to tasks that are mundane, or the hobbies I first played for them. Sometimes I pin whims, and they get around to them (this may be coincidental.)
    Autonomous households stick on short lives, I won't get bored this way.

Any fun stories, or why you don't like this game play.

I do the same thing. It’s not much of a simulator if you dictate everything.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited March 2021
    I do this sometimes, but I can't do it on a regular basis for all sims that I play. I tried it full-time once as an experiment, but I burned out on that idea.

Edit: What I mean is that I do play with autonomy on all the time, and many times I do let things play out however they happen, but I don't let all of my sims do whatever they want all the time without any input from me at all.
    Post edited by VeeDub on
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited March 2021
    I keep autonomy turned on, but I give my Sims very little autonomy in reality. I am constantly cancelling the actions they want to do, which are usually browse the web, or troll teh forums, or get water. I would get bored very quickly if I just had to sit and watch them. But sometimes they choose to do something really interesting that I wouldn't have thought of, so I do enjoy keeping autonomy on.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited March 2021
    No, I pretty much micromanage my sims, I pause a lot. Once in awhile in a large family, I will see a grandmother or mother doing nice things for their chikdren/grandchildren.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    To give a few specific examples, through autonomy and mods I've had (again, nothing too big):
    - a groom-to-be get up early and cook breakfast for his future in-laws
    - what looked like my legacy's wild sim child teach another child how to curse out bullies (he told her about something sad that happened to him, she ranted and cursed due to a phase, he cursed back, they cheered)
    - a baby conceived
    - a sim decide to pick up the violin and learn it to mastery as a late night hobby
    - a teenager complain to her "evil, " easily stressed father about malicious commenters trolling her online, making him angry/want to fight
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I've tried full autonomy and couldn't stand it. lol. I'm content to leave other Sims in a household to take care of themselves, but I have to control MY Sim. I get so annoyed if they wander off and do something when I want them to do something else.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    To give a few specific examples, through autonomy and mods I've had (again, nothing too big):
    - a groom-to-be get up early and cook breakfast for his future in-laws
    - what looked like my legacy's wild sim child teach another child how to curse out bullies (he told her about something sad that happened to him, she ranted and cursed due to a phase, he cursed back, they cheered)
    - a baby conceived
    - a sim decide to pick up the violin and learn it to mastery as a late night hobby
    - a teenager complain to her "evil, " easily stressed father about malicious commenters trolling her online, making him angry/want to fight

I'm trying to write correct words, your game sounds very dramatic! I love this. I've always played console. Did micromanage on The Sims 2, but it was an adventure aswell, so constant change. When I got four, it was not very adventure type, so I let loose. I will admit I've sounded like a woman yelling at wheel of fortune participants with college student sims!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I actually prefer to play this way. That way if I need to get some food, something to drink, or use the bathroom I know with the Sims 4 at least they will never die. I play big households too so autonomy is a must for gameplay.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I always play with autonomy on. I prefer my sims to decide what they want to do and I step in to help every now and again. For me, it's them telling their own story and me watching how things unfold. I couldn't play with autonomy off, I find that to be boring.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I always play with autonomy on. I can't imagine anything more boring than having sims just waiting around for orders. If they do autonomous actions a lot that bother me such as obsessive snow shoveling then I usually will remove the actions with a mod.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited March 2021
    I've never done this lol. To me, I don't see how can I be playing a game if I'm not...playing it, but watching it. So when I sit down to play, I never consider approaching it this way.

ETA: I play similar to @Rouensims where autonomy is on, but a lot of it gets cancelled by me. Never just fully handing over autonomy to the Sims.

Maybe I'll try it one day.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I don't play completely like that but it happens a lot with me when I have larger families....which also happens a lot sometimes I can't help myself just see what they get up to while I focus one on or two of them is fun though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I play with Autonomy on, but I switch regularly between sims, so it's helpful to have the sims I'm not controlling actually do stuff on their own. Like Rouensims, I'll cancel if the sim wants to do something either out of character or disruptive to what I want them to be working on, but I don't watch my sims like a hawk either, and I'll roll with it - at least once they get done with the actions I want them to do.

In my current save I have two siblings living together with their respective kids, and one of the two teenagers has taken to watching out for his toddler cousin autonomously. He's put her to bed, read to her and all the usual "parenting" stuff, all without being designated her caregiver.

It's always interesting to watch what my sims do when they're not under my control, but at the same time, I'm telling myself a story, not watching one unfold. And while my characters in the sims - just like my characters when I'm writing - may do things that surprise me, ultimately, they do what I want them to do.

• Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I always have autonomy on. But I'm a bit OCD so I can't just let my sims uncontrolled. Also as I play challenges I usually have them skilling. But what I like to do for autonomy to manifest is to have "events" where I'll have many sims interacting uncontrolled. Like parties or some community events. This is also one of the reasons I like having businesses. I can control my sim and keep my OCD sanity but at the same time I observe sims from other families interact freely and form relationships.

For example I move a new family in my hood and realize their teen children are ideal matches for other family already in hood. Oh, I had all the couples planned in my head already. But before their turn in rotation I've played my farmer family running Grocery store. These teens were visiting it as well and formed absolutely different relationships from socializing there. One couple I was planning for had a festering grudge ). That's totally fine for me. But had I controlled them first they would end up in couples I've planed for them that's for sure.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I always play autonomy full, although it can get annoying, I like my sims to do their own thing aswell, I feel that they have a mind of there own and most of the time, I let them do what they want, the shovelling of snow is annoying however 😂
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Sometimes I have autonomy on in some saves, and without toddlers it's nice not to care too much about them, only a few times I need to step in. However mostly autonomy is turned off, although my Sims do whatever they want to do anyways and I say hello to the surprise pregnancy.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I play with full autonomy on when I only have one sim to controll, without autonomy it gets boring for me.

The only issue I have is that sometimes it can be a bit too much, like if my sim has a knitting box in her inventory she will cancel whatever she is doing to start knitting. Same now with the vacuum. My sim can be starving and in the middle of food prep she pulls out the vacuum and starts vacuuming her perfectly sparkling clean home and get an uncomfortable moodlet cause of hunger. Like tune it down a bit, thanks.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I very, very rarely use full autonomy unless I'm playing a challenge where it's required. I don't play big families, again unless a challenge involves more than a couple Sims per household. In that case, I'll have full autonomy on, but check the box for no autonomy on the current played Sim and cancel any actions I deem unnecessary for them.

I've tried to play with full autonomy and it's extremely boring to me. All my Sims would do is the standard things mentioned; drink water, play video games, read books, cook meals even if the fridge is full of leftovers, and try to do other dumb things, like exercise for elders until they're ready to croak, make drink after drink after drink but never drink them and leave them to rot, do anything and everything except sleep when they're in the red zone, flirt with others than their spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend, be mean to each other for no reason, shovel snow, mop puddles during a thunderstorm, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

In fact, I actually wish that no autonomy meant no autonomy. I dislike how Sims will, for instance, choose their own topics to chat about if there's nothing left in their queue, or run off to go jogging, do push-ups, get a drink, play a video game on their cell when off-the-grid, take a nap, etc. when I want them to get to know each other, or have another goal in mind. *sigh*

I much prefer micromanaging my Sims so they actually progress in the goals I have set for them. Just sitting on my hands and watching them is not 'playing' to me. Just my opinion, if others enjoy playing that way and have fun doing it, more power to you! It's just not for me. *shrugs* :)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I very, very rarely use full autonomy unless I'm playing a challenge where it's required. I don't play big families, again unless a challenge involves more than a couple Sims per household. In that case, I'll have full autonomy on, but check the box for no autonomy on the current played Sim and cancel any actions I deem unnecessary for them.

I've tried to play with full autonomy and it's extremely boring to me. All my Sims would do is the standard things mentioned; drink water, play video games, read books, cook meals even if the fridge is full of leftovers, and try to do other dumb things, like exercise for elders until they're ready to croak, make drink after drink after drink but never drink them and leave them to rot, do anything and everything except sleep when they're in the red zone, flirt with others than their spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend, be mean to each other for no reason, shovel snow, mop puddles during a thunderstorm, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

In fact, I actually wish that no autonomy meant no autonomy. I dislike how Sims will, for instance, choose their own topics to chat about if there's nothing left in their queue, or run off to go jogging, do push-ups, get a drink, play a video game on their cell when off-the-grid, take a nap, etc. when I want them to get to know each other, or have another goal in mind. *sigh*

I much prefer micromanaging my Sims so they actually progress in the goals I have set for them. Just sitting on my hands and watching them is not 'playing' to me. Just my opinion, if others enjoy playing that way and have fun doing it, more power to you! It's just not for me. *shrugs* :)

I wish they still had the 'semi-autonomy' setting - if you didn't direct your Sims within 5 seconds, they'd decide what to do. Always playing with autonomy off eliminates some of the cute things they will do with full autonomy, but I like to micro-manage my Sims too much to play that way.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2021
    I always play with autonomy on but don't leave My families to their own devices until I've trained them up a bit.

They all have to have their own beds assigned to them from the start, with lucky Sims who get a double bed to themselves, having both sides assigned to them to stop another member of the family getting in with them.

Never start off with a pool, tent or a barbecue in the garden. Sims will start off by swimming, sleeping in the tent or burning themselves to death on the barbecue because they haven't got the proper skill to use it. Stop the kids from using a computer by limiting it to the adults for a bit.

Always start off with what the Sims basically need and not what I would like them to have. This is what I learned from the first Sims Game and it still stands with this one.

You have to have the right house, one that is right for them and doesn't entail them going upstairs to wash the dishes or not use the dishwasher because they are in the wrong place. There's a lot of satisfaction in seeing your Sims clearing the table and putting the plates in the dishwasher without being asked and seeing the children actually opting to do their homework is a bonus. The simpler the house layout the better and plenty of room to get around without being stuck.

Get your Adult Sims a job, with one doing it from home, Others having to go out. A butler, nanny or maid can help if affordable.

I like to leave my Sims going on with their lives whilst I make lunch etc and it's a great bonus to come back and see they are keeping all their needs in the green and no one dead!

I can then leave them to flourish and rotate to a new family. I usually meet the old families in the Diner, cafe or bar etc. to socialize with later.

• Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have a strong conviction that the things they autonomously do are more or less based on the whims they get.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 2021
    I play autonomy off and always have

I just really dislike sims doing things i didnt command them to while I'm trying to play them

or especially if they defy my will of them doing something fun in favor of going to browse web or something

like naw sorry this aint free country you shall worship watcher and their grand plan or you shall suffer awful fate

i do like to neighbor watch though and i really enjoy the surprise events like aliens or vlad paying visit but like idk i just want to have full control of my sims most of the time
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    What mods make autonomy better? I am a player that likes to let my sims do their own thing, but in TS4, the only things they do is stand around talking. After playing with a family for a couple of sim weeks, one of them has started watching tv on her own and the other is always gardening, but still, they don't do anything. They want to play on computers all the time.