January 11 - First Friday Highlight of 2019! Click here to check it out!

Necroposting Rule - Add your questions here for the Forum Moderation Team

EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,180 EA Moderator
Hi Simmers,
We’ve heard you. We listened to your queries and feedback surrounding Necroposting and from that have created this go-to guide for all things Necroposting.
Quote from the announcement thread "Necroposting"

If you've reviewed that guide and still have questions for us on the Necroposting rule, please pop them below. We'll aim to answer them asap.

- Lanna
  • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
  • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
  • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

Comments

• Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 513 Member
    The thread you linked for new members to post their sims 4 issues doesn't work anymore because the help section was closed.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,180 EA Moderator
    @Evie0602 good callout. I had forgotten about the move. Thank you :) I'll correct that asap.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 471 Member
    I have accidentally done this because I used the search engine and didn't notice when the post was originally posted. Is there a way for the moderators to either erase all the old posts or just close them after a certain length of time with no activity. I understand that it's hard work for you all to do. I thank all of you for doing your job and I understand sometimes its hard to find all the posts that this forum does not want necroed.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 10,350 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I have accidentally done this because I used the search engine and didn't notice when the post was originally posted. Is there a way for the moderators to either erase all the old posts or just close them after a certain length of time with no activity. I understand that it's hard work for you all to do. I thank all of you for doing your job and I understand sometimes its hard to find all the posts that this forum does not want necroed.

Why not Auto-lock old threads? It's something we get asked a lot but in short, we can't auto-lock threads right now. There are exceptions to the Necroposting rules that would get caught in the automatic locking of threads such as Feedback threads, Story & Legacy threads, Roleplaying/Game threads, Tech threads, Mega Threads, etc. There is little reason to auto-lock old threads as they run their course over time and tend to drop off naturally. The moderation team only really steps in to close threads when the situation requires it and we are happy to continue doing so.

What about Auto deleting or archiving threads? As many of you have pointed out, there are a multitude of helpful threads on this forum that pre-date 2014 that players should still be able to find and benefit from. Removing these would be to take away a valuable self-help resource for many Simmers looking for guidance or insight offered in them.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/946943/necroposting#latest
    Never allow waiting to become a habit. Life is happening now.
    edited August 2018
    I have accidentally done this because I used the search engine and didn't notice when the post was originally posted. Is there a way for the moderators to either erase all the old posts or just close them after a certain length of time with no activity.

Hey Drakharis, I get that ^^ I've done it myself when looking for answers on other gaming forums. In the Necroposting guide there's a point covering this query in the FAQ section:
    Why not Auto-lock old threads? It's something we get asked a lot but in short, we can't auto-lock threads right now. There are exceptions to the Necroposting rules that would get caught in the automatic locking of threads such as Feedback threads, Story & Legacy threads, Roleplaying/Game threads, Tech threads, Mega Threads, etc. There is little reason to auto-lock old threads as they run their course over time and tend to drop off naturally. The moderation team only really steps in to close threads when the situation requires it and we are happy to continue doing so.
    See also the point called "What about Auto deleting or archiving threads?" :)
    I understand that it's hard work for you all to do. I thank all of you for doing your job and I understand sometimes it's hard to find all the posts that this forum does not want necroed.
    Yes it can be sometimes but the Sims community help us a lot and are great for flagging them to us ^^ Thanks for your question.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Just wanted to say thanks to the mods for making an attempt to take care of this issue :)
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 392 Member
    edited September 2018
    Can we ban this word "Necroposting" and call it the Grim Reaper to match the sims game or "The Ancient One" my fear the word could be used in a Racist way I monitor other forums that are directly made for youth and the first few words could be used in a terrible way changing the term will allow us to match it to all our sim games I fear this term is prejudice and could others could shorten the term using it as a excuse to bully others.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,224 Member
    Can we ban this word "Necroposting" and call it the Grim Reaper to match the sims game or "The Ancient One" my fear the word could be used in a Racist way I monitor other forums that are directly made for youth and the first few words could be used in a terrible way changing the term will allow us to match it to all our sim games I fear this term is prejudice and could others could shorten the term using it as a excuse to bully others.

I don't get how necroposting could be used in any kind of racist manner. And changing it to anything else will just lead to more confusion as everywhere else on the internet refers to it as necroposting.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I don't get how necroposting could be used in any kind of racist manner. And changing it to anything else will just lead to more confusion as everywhere else on the internet refers to it as necroposting.

It's not the word itself its how it sounds in English Language that is my concern imagine someone learning English would this not sound like a Term we banned from many books?
    edited September 2018

It's not the word itself its how it sounds in English Language that is my concern imagine someone learning English would this not sound like a Term we banned from many books?

Necro the four word itself means dead in the dictionary having meaning if one were to search some on Reddit and other networks used this term for Racial purposes getting around the filters to block these words the question is can't we find another appropriate word in the Dictionary that will still be understood of the rules in terms that can't be used to bully others or be Racial in comments.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,224 Member

Similar yes, but one is a noun and the other is a verb. And anyone caught misusing the word will likely end up banned. I've also never seen anyone do that on this forum.

We shouldn't go around and ban words just because someone might misuse them in the future.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited September 2018
    I don't see anyway how Necro is anything meant to be racist in some way, unless we're offending zombies, vampires, ghouls, ghosts, skeletons, and anything having to do with the undead on the internet.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    Simblr

tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 12,255 Member
    edited September 2018

Just maybe the management team on this site could just add that other "N" word to their list of words to be "plummed"out instead of banning or changing "Necroposting" to something else. How does that sound to you? jmho
    edited September 2018
    lisasc360 wrote: »

Just maybe the management team on this site could just add that other "N" word to their list of words to be "plummed"out instead of banning or changing "Necroposting" to something else. How does that sound to you? jmho

Thank you have been a real help in guiding me in these forums I Agree add a extra N then it eliminates the Racial factor most forums I've volunteer don't even use the word since its youth moderators either close the post or just delete it. If its a new member we guide to the article for New members on how to use the forum's , next we give a stern warning if it continues you look at the situation for example someone with a Disability may not understand what they are doing is wrong so we just delete their posts reminding us that patients is Key for others who understand then a firm warning once then next is ban.

I'm slowly building my CV to become a moderator someday volunteer what many don't realize with youth we need policies in place such as Self-harm, Abuse , Online Bullying etc. and the thingis working with multiple cultures words in English can be mistaken or used to bully youth thats why I brought this up we have to be cultural friendly and create a positive forum not a negative but it seems by me bringing up the conversation I have to deal with the consequences that I created the environment of a of-topic negative environment in this forum I took full responsibility its my Fault that cause this to go off-topic in which I apologize I'm only thinking about youth and I want a positive environment for all of us the idea was to have fun with our Sim Games not to create a debate.
    Hey,

I can appreciate that there might be concerns over the term 'Necro' when it is paired with another word that would indeed make it inappropriate.

However, 'Necro' on it's own or 'Necroposting' aren't inappropriate and have very different meanings from that other word. Please know that we have added the particular term of concern to the filter for being inappropriate and if there is ever any concerns over inappropriate terms please message a Moderator and we can look into updating the filter.

In terms of Necroposting itself, it is a widely used terminology both in gaming and on forums. We would not be changing this term as a result.

- Lanna
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• HejixHejix Posts: 577 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't mind the word, but I feel like a necromancer for reviving an old thread. ;P

I had rather seen that as rejunevating something old...

I've done this quite a lot. Starting a conversation. Continuing it years later with a fresh perspective.

If the world did it more often, it would prevent a lot of mistakes.

But... I understand the rules. Although repeating old threads just shows the redundancy of old ideas. We still can put links to oldies to avoid repeating what has been said and dig deeper instead.
    Played Sims 1 when I was a teen... Still playing Sims...

Learn more about my Polar Bear (Sims 4): furrysims4.home.blog

Grisby legacy in Riverview (Sims 3): riverviewsims3.home.blog
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,316 Member
    It's no concern of mine, but I don't like the word itself, though. Am I "necroposting" now?
    It's no concern of mine, but I don't like the word itself, though. Am I "necroposting" now?

Your not " one" if you are new as a newbie sometimes you don't know what the word even means for myself after learning about the term I prefer to stick to active topics that way your on updated forums the forums that are old one thing a Mentor called your digging up old " graves"

If you post in a old thread someone who subscribes in a forum years back then its likely to end up filling our Simmers email inbox and they may get frustrated.

I learned from experience.

~PrincessRey~
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,254 Member
    edited December 2018

What about Auto deleting or archiving threads? As many of you have pointed out, there are a multitude of helpful threads on this forum that pre-date 2014 that players should still be able to find and benefit from. Removing these would be to take away a valuable self-help resource for many Simmers looking for guidance or insight offered in them.

Please don't Delete Old Threads. I like reading Old Threads, it is a trip down memory lane for me. I hate to lose them. :( So please Gurus, don't delete the old threads. Archive them please.
    NO BACKDROPS IN TS5, PLEASE!

PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)

Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 12,255 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »

Please don't Delete Old Threads. I like reading Old Threads, it is a trip down memory lane for me. I hate to lose them. :( So please Gurus, don't delete the old threads. Archive them please.

I think they only delete threads if the original post is breaking one or more of the forum rules. Other than that, they lock them to keep anyone else from commenting on them.
    edited December 2018
    Goodywood wrote: »

I personally can't speak what they do at the forums but you have no fear of them deleting forums unless not appropriate for teens what happens a old thread closes but you can still read it just not comment which is best for most users because most questions are already answered as you read it's hard to say whats wrong or right because a person may have valuable input to add so if you have questions then direct message a moderator and ask what you want to post from here they can decide just don't email them to much as there reasons Forums are closed.