Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,333 Member
    I feel like new objects that need animation's aren't being made. I mentioned the kids need new type of playground objects. It looks like there won't be any rocking horses for the toddlers. I think that would have been a nice object for them if there's an outdoor park. I'm hoping there's some games the children can play together like cops and robbers.

Side note. ^ I would've loved seeing cellar doors in this pack.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,053 Member
    I was fine with another western-ish pack because I felt like, even though StrangerVille and Horse Ranch both had yeehaw vibes, we could still get distinct clothes. But nah, StrangerVille's clothing is way more fun. but at least the male hair and the horse assets are good. And we're getting a bandana accessory, nice.

Tbh, Sims 4 is in a rut when it comes to CAS items. So many things feel like retreads of what we got. I remember when we got cozy knitwear for like a year straight. But I guess there's only so much you can do when you're working with the same few meshes and can only slightly adjust them. On the plus side, I love that, ever since Werewolves, they've been willing to make dirty/unpolished clothing and items.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    TartosanVigneronTartosanVigneron Posts: 24 Member
    I'm going to buy this EP because I've wanted nectar making for ages, but it's really a let down and should have been a game pack IMO. I judge an expansion based on how much it really changes core gameplay. In other words, how relevant will it be if I'm not playing in a way that's specifically centered on the pack's main themes. At least some of the new gameplay features should matter just as much for my sims in Brindleton Bay or Willow Creek as they do for sims in the new world, or at least draw ordinary sims to the new world. The new event types and nectar making seem like the only features that have more universal appeal outside of ranch-specific gameplay. And that's just not enough for me. Even a new career or two would have helped tremendously.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    LGR will have some thoughts on this. I'll put my money on us hearing a line from his future review that's something like:

"and...that's it?"

From the partial information I've seen so far, this seems like a Game Pack that's been put into the Expansion Pack box, all because making horses up to standard was a demanding and expensive technical challenge due to TS4 base game.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited June 2023
    BooDaBoo5 wrote: »
    No saloon doors :/ It may be a small thing but does seem weird to exclude it. And based on unicorn horns being decorative I would say no unicorns in game. Too bad.

I was really looking forward to saloon doors too. My sliver of hope is that the team will patch one in soon after but I think the animation would have to be unique? Heck! I don't care how it animates. I just want functional saloon doors.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    LGR will have some thoughts on this. I'll put my money on us hearing a line from his future review that's something like:

"and...that's it?"

From the partial information I've seen so far, this seems like a Game Pack that's been put into the Expansion Pack box, all because making horses up to standard was a demanding and expensive technical challenge due to TS4 base game.

I live for LGR reviews. I was sad when he quit reviewing all the packs, but I understand why.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,611 Member

"and...that's it?"

I feel like the horses themselves may not have been that technical of a challenge, and more that the larger world was a bigger aspect to making it an expansion. TS4 has a very specific model in how they make packs and I think that in order to get a larger world (which would be needed for horses), it needs to be an expansion pack.

I could be a wrong, but that's my guess.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    edited June 2023
    The Behind The Sims today didn't make me feel any better about this pack. They basically laid it out that this main content of this pack is horses, mini goats/sheep and nectar making... I don't expect a lot more except some minor things.
  • Options
    chaccechacce Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2023
    The fact that the production director said one of the main gameplay features of this expansion pack is that... you can invite your sims over to see the small sheep 💀 that is very embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/kE3n9MQp0UU?t=371
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,360 Member
    I know I'm in the minority here, as I actually have very little negative to say about the pack.
    but...

I'm dissapointed in the barrel racing. No 3 barrel Cloverleafs? No figure 8s? The horse animations looked great, and the turns were nice and sharp... easily sharp enough to handle a cloverleaf or figure 8. Missed opportunity.

Yep. That's it. That's my only complaint pre-release.
    Cary on.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 862 Member
    chacce wrote: »
    The fact that the production director said one of the main gameplay features of this expansion pack is that... you can invite your sims over to see the small sheep 💀 that is very embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/kE3n9MQp0UU?t=371

Yeah when I heard that part I was like...so essentially you can have a goat viewing party? :D Doesn't seem like a feature. I could invite sim friends over and have them do that without an "event". The BTS vid solidified my stance that this is a GP disguised in EP pricing. Nothing in this screams EP in any sense. even if there are 15 lots in the world? That does not and should not qualify a pack as an EP. An EPs main feature has ALWAYS been to expand on gameplay first in The Sims franchise. And if they are charging that price because they "spend more budget" to make horses, well no offense but that shouldn't be the consumers issue to deal with, that was on them to choose to do so. We shouldn't be charged double the price for that :#
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 266 Member
    edited June 2023
    I watched the trailer without reading any reviews or having any information at all about the pack and I ended up coming to the same conclusion a lot of other people did: This really does look like a Game Pack. All that's been revealed is:
    • New desert world
    • New CAS items
    • Horses/foals (which you can ride, interact with, customize, and take them hurdle-jumping in an arena that's probably going to get old very quickly)
    • Probably a new lot type?
    • New event?
    • Mini goats and sheep
    • Nectar making (what does this have to do with horses, kinda seems like a Cottage Living thing)
    • New dance animations
    Granted, I've never cared much about horses for Sims (unicorn in TS3 was a bit fun to mess around with, though), but bias aside, it looks incredibly forgettable. There were a bit too many scenes of the lead Sim (who is always a girl, heh) just socializing with animals or Sims, which is concerning that this pack really won't be all that special. Like a lot of EPs, it seems.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,124 Member
    edited June 2023

I have to admit I don't understand what's exciting about that in gameplay terms. If they made it so there was a petting farm functioning as a business and guests had to pay a fee to enter I guess I could see it but just randomly inviting people over to view the animals strikes me as a little weird.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,526 Member

I have to admit I don't understand what's exciting about that in gameplay terms. If they made it so there was a petting farm functioning as a business and guests had to pay a fee to enter I guess I could see it but just randomly inviting people over to view the animals strikes me as a little weird.

Actually it's not weird at all. Farmers are happy and proud when they get newborn animals on their farm and they might show them off to friends and neighbors. But they don't make an event out of it, that part is indeed weird, though if it functions as a sort of petting zoo, even without being able to charge an entry fee, I suppose it's a cute activity for toddlers.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,190 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Actually it's not weird at all. Farmers are happy and proud when they get newborn animals on their farm and they might show them off to friends and neighbors. But they don't make an event out of it, that part is indeed weird, though if it functions as a sort of petting zoo, even without being able to charge an entry fee, I suppose it's a cute activity for toddlers.

My aunt once invited half of the village ladies to see their new calf , and "semiforced" all to stay at Tupperware party after.. yes, I do agree, it was silly and weird :D

on topic, Im still sad about the household slot issue.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I mean it looks kinda cute (I only knew about this coz they sent an e-mail, that's how little I still play this game lmao), BUT there really is no distinction anymore between what is a GP or EP right? Cause like, the goats/sheep shoulda quite frankly been part of Cottage Living. And then everything in here (world & horse-related gameplay) shoulda been a GP. Idk but I feel like that would make way more sense? That being said I do like seeing the overall theme ig.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Ellupelluellu, Your aunt was a smart woman inviting people over and then "Oh, by the way, I have Tupperware! LOL I remember when those parties were so popular! I agree with you that the horses taking up a slot is very disappointing. I remember the uproar when Sims 3 first did that with pets, and then they changed it, so hopefully Sims 4 will do the same. This game is about making your own stories and the family life is a very important part of those stories, yet they are limiting family play more with doing this. Especially with the focus on family and grandparents in Growing Together. How do you have an extended family with grandparents, parents and several children and still be able to have pets and horses?
  • Options
    @Ellupelluellu, Your aunt was a smart woman inviting people over and then "Oh, by the way, I have Tupperware! LOL I remember when those parties were so popular! I agree with you that the horses taking up a slot is very disappointing. I remember the uproar when Sims 3 first did that with pets, and then they changed it, so hopefully Sims 4 will do the same. This game is about making your own stories and the family life is a very important part of those stories, yet they are limiting family play more with doing this. Especially with the focus on family and grandparents in Growing Together. How do you have an extended family with grandparents, parents and several children and still be able to have pets and horses?

I really hope they increase the slot size because you are completely right. I mean even if you drop extended family. If you have a typical 5 family(parents and 3 children) that leaves you 3 slots. Not much of a ranch with only 3 animals, drop a child and I guess you can have 4 animals. I don't know, just really limiting.
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 713 Member
    But do we know for sure that the horses will take a slot?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,298 Member
    Ziafar wrote: »
    But do we know for sure that the horses will take a slot?

Yeah they are members of the household and create a sims.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,124 Member
    I'm fairly sure Sims 3 allowed 8 people and 2 pets, and other combinations that allowed up to 10 household members if at least 2 of them were pets. Unless that was Sims 2, but I haven#t played either game for a long time. It's such a shame that Sims 4 hasn't expanded the household size.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Cassieb95 wrote: »
    To be honest I was not impressed at all with the trailer. It just seems so shallow. Well, even more so than the previous packs.
    This does not look like an expansion pack at all. It should be a game pack and we would all be happy about it. But an expansion pack? Hell, no.
    Nectar making seems cool, riding a horse seems cool, but other that that what?
    I believe we will have 1 or 2 town events like all the expansion packs so far and that is it. It has become so repetitive, when what we really need is something to surprise us content-wise. Like in the Sims 3.

And where are the unicorns?

Funny thing is the sims youtubers will eat this pack up and then when the hype dies down act like they always hated it. They did the same thing with Island Living.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    I'm fairly sure Sims 3 allowed 8 people and 2 pets, and other combinations that allowed up to 10 household members if at least 2 of them were pets. Unless that was Sims 2, but I haven#t played either game for a long time. It's such a shame that Sims 4 hasn't expanded the household size.
    Both Sims 2 and 3 allowed that, yeah.

8 Sims max, 6 pets max, 10 max total.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I wonder how quickly this pack will be repetative and boring. I imagen that riding around on a horse will not be much different tehn riding a bike following the same route everytime. I do hope there will be a possibilty to create a riding school where I can send my Sims to fulfill their equestrian needs without having to purchase a horse.
  • Options
    Peral wrote: »
    I wonder how quickly this pack will be repetative and boring. I imagen that riding around on a horse will not be much different tehn riding a bike following the same route everytime. I do hope there will be a possibilty to create a riding school where I can send my Sims to fulfill their equestrian needs without having to purchase a horse.

I foresee them being the same way dogs were for me. I was super excited for dogs to finally come, after I created ALL the dogs I was completely bored and done with them. Dogs(and cats) are now just set dressing.