Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do all my Sims look the same!

I'm trying to make male Sims with no CC or mods at all. Why do all my Sims look the same? They seem to have the same eyes and head shape when I'm trying to work hard to make them as unique as possible. Can someone help me make my Sims unique?
I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Presets have minor differences. If you look closely you'll see a variety of features. (chin dimples, cheek dimples, eye folds, eyelashes, etc...)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    RPGTabbycatRPGTabbycat Posts: 48 Member
    Don't use presets. Click the dice below the sim to generate a new random Sim. I guarantee you will get a lot of weird looking sims. I always do.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,000 Member
    randomize and edit or mess with mixing different premades is the way to go really when you get stuck with samey sims

also maybe considering if its a self bias on using certain features over others

try different features you might not have been considering

I had that issue for quite a while when i used to create all my sims myself

like without knowing it my brain was just using a badly programmed beautification filter and it wasn't even all that pretty tbh
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Or maybe take two randomly generated sims and roll a child. That's what I do sometimes when I don't feel like starting over with a fresh base. I take two of my other sims, roll a child, age them up and tweak them until they have a different look.
    I also found that using CAS Story Mode often generates sims that I would never have ended up creating myself. Some of them look pretty good (after some adjustments) but nothing like a sim I would have created myself from scratch.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    In CAS, you have the ability to drag and shape just about any feature you can think of--the possibilities are practically endless
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited March 2023
    I agree that the "Randomized" button works really well in create uniquely different faces.

Here's an example of the first 6 Sims it generated (I only had it randomize the "faces")
    ryfAekI.png

Just in case you're not familiar, the randomized button is at the bottom, and you can click the arrow to choose what to randomize

GISUMLt.png

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited March 2023
    That's very cool @Chicklet453681 , did not know you could do that and had not noticed the arrow before.
    Your sim's facial features are very different from each other in the different versions, but the head shape including jaw looks the same. Is the shape of the head part of "body shape" ?
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    It sounds to me like you need to experiment more with the different abilities in CAS--once you learn how to manipulate shapes, you'll find that you can create just about any look you want.

You spoke about how all faces look the same, so here's a bit of homework, if you will; go into CAS, and hover your mouse over a sim's jaw--now, hold down the left mouse button (don't just click on it) and move your mouse to the right (if you're doing it right, the jaw will glow pink)--notice how the jaw gets wider? Now try it with a nose--moving the mouse left will make it more narrow, and moving it right will make it wider
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

I agree that the "Randomized" button works really well in create uniquely different faces.

Here's an example of the first 6 Sims it generated (I only had it randomize the "faces")
    ryfAekI.png

Just in case you're not familiar, the randomized button is at the bottom, and you can click the arrow to choose what to randomize

GISUMLt.png

Did not know this. I never click the little arrows on anything. But I will now. Thanks!

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,000 Member
    edited March 2023
    also btw theres drag thing for overall head /face sizes that might also play into the whole same face vibe
    whatever you do do not drag that to the smallest setting it greatly limits the face shape
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 883 Member
    I tend to favor the same type of looks in CAS, so they tend to look the same. I do change a few things, but always have the bad habit of kind of bringing it back to the look I was trying to avoid, which is the sameness.
    What I do to split up looks and vary my Sims is downloading other Sims from the Gallery. I would make one male, or female, and download a Sim I liked from the Gallery, and mix their genes. I've gotten unique looks I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.
    Only do the Gallery thing if CAS doesn't really work for you.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    Probably a silly question, but you are aware that you can go one extra detailed level into face CAS? It opens for a lot more uniqueness, like smaller/bigger/happy/sad etc. I don't think you can adjust the head shape in there, but most details that will make your sim stand out.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    In my opinion, @Umbreon12 had the best answer in this thread. I am aware of the detail CAS and the randomize thingy. But the problem was I always went for Sims who I favored for, which caused the sameness in my game.
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 883 Member
    In my opinion, @Umbreon12 had the best answer in this thread. I am aware of the detail CAS and the randomize thingy. But the problem was I always went for Sims who I favored for, which caused the sameness in my game.
    Glad I could help.
    From the Gallery I download Sims I like, and mix them with Sims I created, or with each other. I have gotten quite a bit of Sims that are similar to what I like/create, as well as unique looks that I wouldn't have come up with in the CAS.
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    Yeah, I've had issues with that too lately... You see my avatar right? Its kinda hard to get away from that face style for me because I really like said face style... And while Male faces CAN get close to the same narrowness seen in avatar picture, its not quite as narrow due to the base body frame overall being beefier.

And its a combination of Alien and vampire genetics too, which is not everyone's favorite thing. But you might get somewhere the furthest if you push yourself to try a new or different set of genes. Also, the skin color selection does have sliders on each if you so desire. Trouble is, they usually are not saved past the creation stage that I've seen.

Hope you can succeed in your goal.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    You're going to have to go with making ugly Sims with bad style if you don't go the cc route. I'd just accept that and use all the ugly hair styles and clothing I assume you keep reusing the same couple items over and over which is making your Sims look similar because things like facial hair and hair really do change each Sim drastically. I won't even use the same hairstyle on 2 Sims in the same color mostly I don't even do that unless it's one I really like.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    One thing I’ve done that works really well to generate novel sims is to create an interesting man, and then make him female, or vice versa.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: