Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hair update - yikes my sim is not the same 😂

I like to make strange Sims. Sometimes I play them, other times they are NPCs that I add to clubs or my sim befriends. This particular sim, Juan Gustafson is a celebrity author, he hates children and is an elder. The game had aliens abduct him 3 times and impregnated him, hilarious. Anywho, I loved his afro on him. However, I think it was one of the hairs that was updated and now he just doesn't look the same.
hair-Update.png

I wonder if that old afro is available as a mod so Juan can have his old hair back 😂
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, I'm not too happy with how team Maxis handled this hair replacement either. I mean, I understand that the quality and execution left a lot to be desired when their original goal for the old version was for it and a few other hair styles to represent afro hair but the end result now is a completely different hair style. From what I understand a major problem with the old hairs was the texturing, and in case of the 'big afro' the shape was a little wonky. However that 'big afro' was way more gender neutral in hair style than the 'new big afro'. It has been completely feminized. And for the shorter afro styles it's weird that all the smooth styles have been replaced with more 'bumpy' styles. In my opinion this just emphasizes the lack of hair styles for colored people. Like there's a limit to the number team Maxis wants to support, replacing styles with other styles instead of adding a 'bumpy' look to the smooth looks for instance. And apparently there's only room for one style of 'big afro' whereas a quick google search with 'big afro male' shows a lot of images with men featuring many different styles of 'big afros' that this new one from team Maxis just doesn't cover.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The hair is better but gives a different look to your Sim. It will totally still work but you'll probably need a little 'plastic surgery' first...
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited May 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    The hair is better but gives a different look to your Sim. It will totally still work but you'll probably need a little 'plastic surgery' first...

This made me lol so much. I'm so going to use that line the next time someone comes to me in real life with a new haircut and asks me how it looks :D
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »

This made me lol so much. I'm so going to use that line the next time someone comes to me in real life with a new haircut and asks me how it looks :D

That made me crack up! I can picture their face :joy:
  • Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I wish we could have both the old and new hairstyles.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It's ok the cauliflower hair is just more 3D now and has a bit more veg on it. I think this hair would look nice on him too: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=573142

There is this too:
    https://modthesims.info/d/536595/afros-for-men.html
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    Oh wow, that is a big difference with the hair on your Sim! I don't know if there is a mod for it or not, but I honestly wish we could still have the old hairstyle back. Like, it could be a different hairstyle so that we could have both the old and the new. I kind of liked the way the old one looked on some Sims. :)
  • Options
    PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ice-creamforbreakfast has it on Patreon - for free of course :smile:
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    That's a pretty big change..
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,139 Member
    I won't miss the cotton candy hairstyle.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Maybe the cotton candy will return when we get that circus pack.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited May 2021
    I wish instead of updating hairstyles they would just add them separately. I actually liked some of the previous versions more. There was this one short hair hairstyle that was gender neutral and I had it on my female sim and then they changed it and now it only fits for masculine sims because of the forehead cut :(
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    New > Old
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I think that your sim looks even more "freaky" now, I don't see the issue. :) The new hair is thousand times better than the old, imho.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited May 2021
    With one of the other updated hairstyles I felt the same. Someone else even made a thread about it. It's this hair
    I would have loved to keep the original as well as the new version. The new version just looked like a completely different hairdo.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Chunky and smooth should both be options, like peanut butter. Perfectly smooth big afros were/are terrifically hard to achieve style wise, but people did it, back when, on occasion, and it was the height of chic. I agree it ought to have been kept as another style, instead of only one kind of big afro.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I do like the old one for this sim. I blame the twitter crowd. They carried on so bad about the first one I guess they just deleted it🙄
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I, too, wish they had kept the old while giving us the new.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I wish they'd stop overriding things and give players the option. Is it really that hard to just give players the choice on what they want in their game :s
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Oh yeah, the old hair definitely had way more character on this guy in particular. Those grey stripes really make it!

I do like the new afro in general, but it's got a completely different vibe.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Chunky and smooth should both be options, like peanut butter. Perfectly smooth big afros were/are terrifically hard to achieve style wise, but people did it, back when, on occasion, and it was the height of chic. I agree it ought to have been kept as another style, instead of only one kind of big afro.

And to this day I still love that 70's fro.

My best friend sported one all through junior high. She used to make me use a hair pick to pull out the back of her fro (because she couldn't see back there obviously) and make sure it was all blended out into a perfect round ball. Then I'd use two locker mirrors to show her how great of a job I did on the back, and we'd giggle at how awesome my white girl 'fro-making skills' were. Good times! :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    It's ok the cauliflower hair is just more 3D now and has a bit more veg on it. I think this hair would look nice on him too: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=573142

There is this too:
    https://modthesims.info/d/536595/afros-for-men.html

Thanks @Scobre I'll check out the one for men to see if it'll work for Juan
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    It's back in CC form. Really my Bob Ross Sim is not the same without his hair and the new one doesn't suit him.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/unlikely-return-51256297
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,468 Member
    Definitely would have made more sense to just add the new version and keep the old as well. These changes keep mucking up players' Sims.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited May 2021
    I also wish they had kept the original. The new version is great but it is not the same. The "picked out" 70s fro was quite different but still something to cherish, in my opinion.
    Post edited by Pegasys on