The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What made you start playing Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I started playing Sims 4 on release
    I got it upon release (just like 2 & 3). I can’t remember if I knew before buying there were no toddlers, ghosts, pools, basements, robbers, firefighters and dishwashers. It felt so empty without weather, too but I was expecting that. I played for a few hundred hours but I didn’t feel drawn to it like I had in previous versions. However, I did not really blame the game because I knew I was used to having more content/packs and I just had to be patient. I put it down until Cats & Dogs came out.

Then Cats & Dogs was disappointing to me because I couldn’t even see my pets’ needs and they really cut a lot of features they had in Pets EPs previously. I put the game aside again waiting for Seasons because this was the pack that I thought could make it come alive for me.

Finally Seasons came out FOUR YEARS later. Just think of all the time they waited while they could have had my money sooner. And once I could buy that one, I wanted other packs too. By then, I figured out I could buy many of them on sale. I was also noticing there was consistently less gameplay content in every pack than there had been in previous Sims games. Sometimes this still really bothers me but I still love the game because the content it DOES have is done very well, it’s gorgeous no doubt, and when I compare it to past games there is still a reason to like Sims 4. It just hasn’t lived up to my expectations. I hope the next EP offers some activities that truly expand our games.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,846 Member
    Other
    When "The Sims 3" became unplayable (around the career update [athletic and business]). As my favorite game was broken and I had already given my "The Sims 2" expansions to my cousin's son, I had to try out "The Sims 4".
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,401 Member
    edited October 2020
    Other
    I used to play Sims Freeplay but I deleted the game because of the awful update that ruined the game for me. After some time I started missing Sims and I decided to buy Sims 4. I loved it immediately. I hadn't played any other Sims games before.

I was familiar with the Sims franchise from the beginning, but I wasn't a gamer back then and I didn't have a computer at home. I remember when I saw the ads from Sims 2 I thought it looked amazing but I never even thought of buying it because I wasn't into games.
    It wasn't until 2014 when I got my first tablet and I browsed the Play Store and noticed Sims Freeplay. I downloaded it and I got hooked on it. I also tried Sims 3 mobile and I even paid for it, but it was complete trash compared to Sims Freeplay.
    For some reason I still didn't think of buying an actual Sims game until Sims Freeplay got ruined by Life Dreams & Legacies update and I deleted it.
    I had some Sims withdrawals until I decided that it's time to get the real game. I fell in love with it right away and here I am now, about 5½ years later, a middle aged gamer who got into other PC games as well. I just wish I would've started playing earlier.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Other
    I played Sims Social and thought I'd try the real thing.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Been playing since Sims 1, so I definitely put my hands on it on release day.

Was I disappointed? Yes.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited October 2020
    Other
    My Sims 3 game became impossibly laggy, and I didn't want to buy a new computer or spend a week troubleshooting it, so I did the free trial of Sims 4 and decided to purchase... Today I feel that was a foolish move, buying a new version of the Sims to replace the broken Sims game that was abandoned when the Sims team moved on to Sims 4. Maybe not my smartest move, and I foolishly keep buying the buggy overpriced DLC too. Good grief, I am a fool for this series. To be fair the Sims 4 can be fun, until you run into another bug and question your sanity for still supporting a game that doesn't support bug fixes properly. I should really know better by now.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    Heard about the game and wanted to try it
    I bought it a few months after release. I was curious about it so checked it out. It was ridiculously boring and I hated the art style. I bought all of the packs when they were released so I could check them out but never stayed with TS4 until after Toddlers.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited October 2020
    I really disliked ts3 and I almost didn't get ts4 cause i was like nah maybe ill stop playing new sims and just stay with ts1&2 but I got it anyway to try it out cause i was curious about cas and build tools and welp. still here

must say i didn't play a lot before vampires and seasons packs though cause things were little bit too bright and cheery
    couldn't stand the always sunny barbie world vibes
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    I started playing at release. I had been an avid Sims 3 player (and Sims 2 before it). But the laptop I had been playing Sims 3 on had bitten the dust a few months before Sims 4's release. I was playing on my Mom's computer but that wasn't great for either of us. So I made the rash decision to start anew. I deleted Sims 3 and all my CC and started playing Sims 4 on my new iMac that arrived not long before release.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,605 Member
    edited October 2020
    Other
    We do not have a pc for a long time here, even if we do The Sims Main Series was not playable because of Windows XP 2000's Specs That run until 2014. (Can't believe it survived that long XD). So the Only option we got was The Sims 3 on Mobile and The Sims Freeplay. And Yes, you I was stuck on the freemium version. When my friend bought a laptop and has an origin account, I instalty insisted her that we combine our budget after school to buy TS4. After that, I was able to say goodbye to my Mobile Version and happy to migrate :D

I eventually got TS4 for free, as I do not want to rebuy it. and Now I am playing it nonstop
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Bored of a previous instalment and wanted something new
    I was literally playing (on and off) the PS2/GameCube sims games from my childhood until early 2018. I tried to play TS3 on Xbox 360 a little while after it came out but it was literally unplayable on consoles so I never got to play it - and then just kept playing the earlier console versions. After a few years of not really playing much I wanted to see if there was a new sims game out (I didn't keep up on sims news/forums then) and found out they had TS4 and they just ported it over to console a few months prior.

I watched the replay of the livestream when they were showcasing the port over to consoles and I basically purchased it that day. I was so overwhelmed because it was my first real experience with actually having roofs, foundations, stairs, multiple levels, landscaping tools, dlc, gallery, and worlds. I played base game forever. Like almost a year I think before I bought my first expansion. I know this game isn't perfect but for someone coming from early 2000's consoles versions, it's the most fun I've had in the sims games. It's even opened me to trying out all the PC versions eventually.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Other
    I've always been a fan of the franchise, and wanted it since it's release. However, I didn't get it until a year later, since the PC I had at the time probably wouldn't manage.
  • Options
    Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Bored of a previous instalment and wanted something new
    I always played my Sims games on consoles, I never had a PC to run it. I got the Sims 4 on my PlayStation after my Sims 3 saves completely bugged out. It was okay, I well into it, but then I got an actual gaming laptop, got the Sims 4 on there mainly because I wanted to some mods out (since it was the first time playing Sims on a PC).

Long story short, going back to the vanilla console version is somewhat painful compared to my modded PC game :D
  • Options
    MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    I played both 3 and 4 for quite a while after, then as more modders and CC makers started to release good stuff for 4, I moved over.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Other
    While I started playing on release, a few packs in I was feeling the huge lack of content per pack. I set the game aside for a bit until Vampires came out and brought my interest back from the dead. Also in 2017 the custom content community was knocking it out of the park with some of my favorite character outfits.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 894 Member
    I have been playing Sims since Sims 2 and I got it on release, though I didn't start really enjoying it until around the time Get Together came out.
  • Options
    NetflixianHereNetflixianHere Posts: 18 Member
    Heard about the game and wanted to try it
    I played the Sims 3 and Sims: Pets and wanted to see what the Sims 4 would bring. I don't remember much, but I must've liked the Sims 4 more. I couldn't tell you what my opinion of it is now, since I haven't played it in a while, but I had fun with it back then.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Other
    My cat broke my old laptop (which I played sims 3 on) by jumping on its screen and smashing it (he was a big cat). I had just bought and moved into my first house so could not afford a new laptop. Then 2 years ago I was finally able to afford a new laptop, bought one and was so upset when it didn’t have a cd-rom to install sims 3. So I downloaded sims 4. Took me a while to get used to 4 and actually I don’t hate it and prefer it to sims 1&2. Then several months later after getting my new laptop I discover I can redeem my sims 3 codes to download on origin. Tried playing 3 and just couldn’t get into it. To be honest if I knew about the redeem sims 3 codes from the off I would never have bought 4. Oddly I have no regrets as I’ve loved 4 as much as 1&3. There’s always been certain aspects of packs I just play over again and again with 1 it was vacation, 3 seasons and 4 city living. As with all versions of sims all packs I get a lot out of but these 3 are the ones that have impacted my games the most.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,193 Member
    I started playing Sims 4 because of ---- pack
    My old Sims 3 wasn't working very well back in 2013. It kept freezing up. So, after Sims 4 was made I immediately got the game. Unfortunately, I had no experience with pits of a brand new game. I'm now aware of not to buy the latest upgrade of a game until it's about two to four years old.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I got the game when it was free/cheap
    It took last year's offer of TS4 base game for free to persuade me to migrate from TS3. I am glad I gave it a few years' development before I came on board, Family play would not have been the same without Toddlers, nor could my (gay) couple have had biological kids without custom gender settings. All that was in place by the time I got here.
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Other
    Thought it would be fun. Couldn’t have been more wrong!
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    GuillaumeSnowGuillaumeSnow Posts: 87 Member
    TS3 never caught my attention. I was thrilled when the first trailer for TS4 was released :3
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,522 Member
    edited October 2020
    For me it was the toddler patch. I have been a long time simmer. I started out in the sims 1 and enjoyed playing sims 2 a lot. A game without toddlers felt too incomplete. I still find it hard to believe the developers were OK with leaving out toddlers. I refused to play sims 4 for years because of this but within a week after hearing about toddlers being added, I purchased the game.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I got the game when it was free/cheap
    I've played them all since TS1. Every time a new base game was launched, I dropped that current iteration and jumped right in. EXCEPT when TS4 launched. It wasn't finished and I wasn't going to pay full price base game for less than what other base games offered. No pools, basements, ghosts, toddlers and the things the game did have wasn't anything special enough to make me leave the open world and nearly all of the expansions for TS3. It wasn't until after all of those things were added and then it went on special that I finally moved over. I'm glad I did, I do enjoy TS4, but I'm also glad I waited and avoided those first few years of being frustrated.
    Origin ID: Peapod79