The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long do you make your sims age?

So I am curious how long you make your sims age do you leave it at the default way or do you make it so they age really slow or do you make them age really fast I am curious.

Comments

• Options
    AshurayAshuray Posts: 22 Member
    Mine never ages!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I have mine set on the longest life setting.
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Ashuray wrote: »
    Mine never ages!

i have 2 sims exactly like that. i did and am playing a sim family on the default age setting but i find it hard to actually get well everything set up for them. i suppose that is part of the challenge though but i am kind of wondering if its more realasistic to play on the default age or the longest life setting.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I have mine set on the longest life setting.

i am debating on doing that with a family i have right now and just start them with the longest life setting as with the default age setting its kind of impossible to raise todler skills to the max . plus i just discovered scouting and idk how am going to have enough time to do that with the default age setting.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I have my lifespan set to long. This way, I have more time to develop my sims' personalities and establish their characters.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I have my lifespan set to long. This way, I have more time to develop my sims' personalities and establish their characters.

yes that actually does make sense. plus like i said it feels impossible to get all the beinfits from extra traits like tolder traits kid traits scouting etc etc.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I use mccc’s age settings to mostly double the time sims spend as each lifestage (except babies because I’ve never liked them much.) I miss TS3’s aging settings where long was only twice as long instead of five times.
  • Options
    Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    So I am curious how long you make your sims age do you leave it at the default way or do you make it so they age really slow or do you make them age really fast I am curious.

I keep mine sims aging turned off and age them when I feel it is time. I keep my new born babies about a day or 2 then age them up. But all others when I feel it is time for my story.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »

I keep mine sims aging turned off and age them when I feel it is time. I keep my new born babies about a day or 2 then age them up. But all others when I feel it is time for my story.

How do you decide when it’s time for an elder to die?
  • Options
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »

How do you decide when it’s time for an elder to die?
    this is an interesting question.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have aging off. I age my Sims up to the next life stage when it feels appropriate. I don't count the days - I go at the pace of my story.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Normal. Short is too short and Long is too long, and if I had aging off my Sims would be immortal and I don't want that either.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    NevonaNevona Posts: 32 Member
    Long, I get really invested in a sims life and I have so many plots and twists planned for them that if I had it any other way I simply wouldn't have enough time
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,360 Member
    I play with Long life. If it gets too long, I can always age them up before their birthday. It doesn't happen often - and usually no more than a week early - but it does happen.

Okay, it happens all the time with babies. On Long life they have 12 days. I think the longest I've managed to let them go is 5. 2 if they're especially clingy.
  • Options
    IlkavelleIlkavelle Posts: 41 Member
    Nevona wrote: »
    Long, I get really invested in a sims life and I have so many plots and twists planned for them that if I had it any other way I simply wouldn't have enough time

I do exactly the same. I love to play various scenarios and I like to see how sims "develop", changing jobs, houses, expanding family or not, getting new hobby. I have usually many ideas for one family/Sim (well like in RL, people don't stuck with one "skill" or aspiration, they learn and change the entire life)
    But I don't like to see Sims dying out of old age. I mean sometimes it happens they die due to some accident. But when I stop having ideas for the plot, I don't like kind of "waiting" for their death... I usually leave the house then and set them to npc, so they can do what they want and I don't have to watch them leaving the sim world :wink: probably it's weird, I know :sweat_smile:

My site: SimsQuest | Twitter
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Normal. Short is too short, long is too long. Normal is also a little too short but it's closest to what I like.

Sometimes it is tricky to get a toddler to all max skills or the kids all the scout badges but if you focus on them, it is doable. Not all of my sims get everything though. I like variety in my game and they're already pretty shallow and similar as is. Besides, not getting a speed boost for skills or careers doesn't matter that much to me. I find the boost that they do get isn't that much faster anyways to make me really want/need it for every sim I grow up. Unless there's an accident, a sim from birth to old age death, I can usually get everything done with that sim that I had wanted them to do at the normal setting.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    edited October 2019
    @QueenMercy I have my age set to off too because I get used to my sims, and I want them to get the benefit of all packs. I have a very large rotation. But one thing you can do for an elder that you believe is time for them to pass on is make a retirement home, send them there and then have aging on for the retirement home while you play the retirement home, relatives can still visit and you can visit them. And, if you don’t want them to die there without their relatives wait until they have the pop up that says they are dying soon, move them back in with relatives, play with long life or till they pass. They can also die accidentally.... trying to fix a tv with low handiness, struck by lightning, having too much woohoo, in a fight, staying in the sauna too long, or other things like that.
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited October 2019

Generally my sims stay the same age unless I find a reason to age them up because I select the option to not age them. I have each one set up for certain things and professions and want them to stay the way they are. Of course that will change for my child/toddler/teenage sims once we get University (IF we ever get university!)

It's a throwback to the Sims 2. In that game there just didn't seem to be enough time once you got into the profession you wanted (which could take forever without using cheat codes), made enough friendships and got your skills up high enough. It was irritating to always have to drink the potion to reset their age so it was very useful to be able to just limit aging.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have aging off. I age my Sims up to the next life stage when it feels appropriate. I don't count the days - I go at the pace of my story.

Me too! I get ridiculously attached to my sims and their stories, and prefer to decide when it's the right time for them to age up. My main is also a vampire so I'll always have him. :)
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No aging unless I have a specific storyline in mind for a sim that requires an age-up.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Normal. I generally let them age up with the game, but sometimes, I'll age up my kids and teens a bit early. Sometimes, the kids are set to age up in the middle of the week, which can be a bit difficult to manage (they have to do their homework twice). And the teen stage is boring, so I want to age them up early.

On the other hand, if I have a YA doing something that takes a lot of travel or time, like searching for collectibles or completing a career, I might turn aging off until my goals are completed, since I don't want to start a family until she's done.

Since I play generations, I don't want to spend an inordinate time on any one Sim, and I don't like to have more than three Sims in the household.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2019

age very slowly.

Using the base game options to extend lifespan as long as possible, increased days in seasons with the seasons DLC, and then using MCCC to increase the length of days as well. teenagers and children take 50 odd days to age up, adults take nearly 100 days to age up and elders could possibly take between 40-150 days to die. so there is a lot of days and each minute in game is like half a minute in the real world, so fast forwarding events take a while, while everyone is awake.

I don't plan to make any immortal, death is ironically part of life, as it has always been. But having those days to work around in though, you'd have plenty of time to do what you wished with multiple families and have all those moments to treasure instead of rushing around to do it. Also skills build a lot easier and faster when using the slower scale as well, more so with lot traits active as well.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Always long span, cause the others are way too short and do not feel realistic at all. Parents would get too old too quickly, children would never see their grandparents. All though I have to say that I find it quite hard for grandchildren to see their grandparents with long life span on as well unless I pause the age sometimes. I think there is an age fault in that span which makes the elder lifestage either too short or it takes too much time before my sims are having a baby (YA or Adult usually).

I do now play rotational, so my aging goes off when i switch to other households or households outside of my generation. I find that the most fun!
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I play with aging off and age sims up in cas and use MCCC to kill them off when it’s their time. I play rotational and have many generations, so this can take all day aging everyone up and killing sims, which I only do every once in a while.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,374 Member
    In my main save aging is off. I skip baby stage and then age sims when I tire of seeing them in their current stage. This summer I had an elder die and a teen grow up to young adult, last december I aged two toddlers to children and sometime this fall two more toddlers will be ready to progress to child stage. And that's it already.
    The sims feel more real to me this way and when something good or bad happens to them, it has meaning.

To compensate for this, I play legacies on short lifespan (but still never manage to finish them) and challenges where I allow sim death.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge