Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    Don't twist my words. Haven't you been jailed/banned enough for instigating?

It just seems like you are disrespecting other people's opinions.

My apologies if you weren't intending too. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Just accept it. Sims 4 does well. People like it. MANY people like it... I celebrate on twitter, the people there are way more positive
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Yes, people do like it :)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2016
    Still the worst of the franchise. But hey, who trusts reviews and consumers opinions?

So you are basically saying people who like the Sims 4 do not deserve to have an opinion...

Everyone, no matter who you are, is entitled to an opinion and don't force yours down other people's throats.
    You may find fault with that post but I see no problem in saying what she/he said. If she/he said Sims 4 was the worst of the franchise then to the poster it is. You are basically doing what you accuse the poster of doing.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Still the worst of the franchise. But hey, who trusts reviews and consumers opinions?

This is your opinion. I don't think that 5 million people would buy a game if it was bad. The "critics" are just a really small part of the sims community.
    I happen to be one of those buying people and I'm considering to buy GT now that it has a 50% discount. And I'm hardly a Sims 4 fan.
    And I wonder how many are buying because it is on sale and not at full price?

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'd like to know where Sims 2 and 3 were in sales at their same 2 year or so time. That's about the best comparison to go on, all things considered.

And as for my previous posts mentioning past PC games and not console 'versions', of course I did. Sims 4 is PC only. It makes sense to compare by the PC titles.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    The only thing ruining Sims 4 for me is the great Toddler gap....oh and maybe heights of your Sims. Apart from that i enjoy Sims 4, I really want to love Sims 4 but at the moment it doesn't cater to my play style
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't find that tweet confirming at all by the way.
    "Look at those numbers, just putting them in perspective for you guru!"
    "Top selling pc game last year. Who trusts numbers. What's your gut say."
    It rather sounds a bit diplomatic and evasive to me. I also just can't imagine 4 does better than 2 did, and that has nothing to do with 4. Sims 2 was a hit. But hey, who cares! The game's just doing well I think.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    uo_aaronjd wrote: »
    The only thing ruining Sims 4 for me is the great Toddler gap....oh and maybe heights of your Sims. Apart from that i enjoy Sims 4, I really want to love Sims 4 but at the moment it doesn't cater to my play style
    For me it is not the toddlers it is the exclusion of any type of editing tools and not a lot whole lot of colors. If that was included I might love Sims 4 more, but I can't. I hate how EA/Maxis is throwing a blanket party and not allowing me to use my systems full capabilities.

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited June 2016
    This five million does this include just the base game or all the stuff packs they poured out for the first year and a half (or until whenever we had that three month drought) or release? Because if all the people bought the stuff packs and the base game and the EPS and GPS you're probably talking more like 1 million. Or Less.

It's like saying a recording artist had over 10 million in sales and it used to mean just albums but now it includes single songs.

*Before anyone asks, no I did not read the back and forth of the last 12 pages. It's Friday evening and just being here now is already cutting into my "juice" night. Ain't nobody got time for dat.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Thing with if the game did sell that many, I don't want to hear anymore "too expensive" excuses of why features can't be done because they can. I have had enough of the "woe as me" excuses when it comes to developing this iteration of Sims. Gurus can do features that Simmers want. They have the talent and means to now. Only reason preventing them now is if they don't want to, that's all. I want the Sims 4 to have to best future possible, so now to continue to attract both old and new customers should be the goal for Maxis.

I think the game engine stops some of the features that everyone wants. So I do not think that money is the only deterrent nor do I think they do not want to. I think the game has some limits, and at least at this time they are staying within the limits, I n my opinion they went over the limits in TS3 and that is what made the game totally unplayable for some.
    They went over for some but EA/Maxis should have not introduced Sims 3 if they could not maintain it, it does not put them in a good light at all and how can I give kudos to a company that do not know how to use technology and then turn around give me a gimped game. Sure for some folks they can deal with the game not having certain features but why should others that have the capability be stumped. They would not dare make a gimped Battlefield because it would make Sims 4 look like child's play.

• Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

So you are basically saying people who like the Sims 4 do not deserve to have an opinion...

Everyone, no matter who you are, is entitled to an opinion and don't force yours down other people's throats.
    You may find fault with that post but I see no problem in saying what he said. If he said Sims 4 was the worst of the franchise then to the poster it is. You are basically doing what you accuse the poster of doing.

Thank you! Exactly my point :smile:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I can imagine TS4 doing better than TS2... Mainly because TS2 sold the Stuff packs at a higher price and by the end of second year there were only 4 expansions (more than TS4) and 4 Stuff packs (total 8).

TS4 has only 2 expansions and yet 3 game packs and 6 Stuffs (iirc =11) so cheaper price and more little packs... after riding on the fame of TS2/TS3. It should be doing so very well.

• Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

You may find fault with that post but I see no problem in saying what he said. If he said Sims 4 was the worst of the franchise then to the poster it is. You are basically doing what you accuse the poster of doing.

Thank you! Exactly my point :smile:
    You welcome. :)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2016
    :smiley: I was wondering who was going to ask @SimGuruNinja about it. Awesome it is confirmed now from the source. So congrats Maxis to the 5 million sales. Nice to know as a community the game sold that well regardless of the variety of opinions about the game. There is strength in numbers and nice to know that the Sims community is still going strong. I hope this means good things for the future then both in regards to patches and packs. I still expect more customers to be attracted to the game again. :) The game still has potential on pleasing its customers as a whole. So keep up the good work.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Well, at least they finally somewhat confirmed it.

:smile:
    TheSimer wrote: »

This is your opinion. I don't think that 5 million people would buy a game if it was bad. The "critics" are just a really small part of the sims community.

I don't think it's "bad" at all. But not everyone was happy with their purchase. The base game got off to a rocky start.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »
    This five million does this include just the base game or all the stuff packs they poured out for the first year and a half (or until whenever we had that three month drought) or release? Because if all the people bought the stuff packs and the base game and the EPS and GPS you're probably talking more like 1 million. Or Less.

It's like saying a recording artist had over 10 million in sales and it used to mean just albums but now it includes single songs.

*Before anyone asks, no I did not read the back and forth of the last 12 pages. It's Friday evening and just being here now is already cutting into my "juice" night. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

The Sims 2 only sold 6 million because most PC's couldn't handle it back in the day. That's why it sold 7 million on other platforms.
    It's also why EA released performance friendly version of the game: Life Stories & Pet Stories. They were actually quite popular and only $30.

I knew so many people that played those instead of the actual game.

---

SimGuruNinja seems to be referring only to the base game in his comment and confirmation in his reply,
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't find that tweet confirming at all by the way.
    "Look at those numbers, just putting them in perspective for you guru!"
    "Top selling pc game last year. Who trusts numbers. What's your gut say."
    It rather sounds a bit diplomatic and evasive to me. I also just can't imagine 4 does better than 2 did, and that has nothing to do with 4. Sims 2 was a hit. But hey, who cares! The game's just doing well I think.

I'm inclined to agree with you, which is why I said "somewhat confirmed." There was still no "yes, we sold 5 million copies." The answer was "who trusts numbers? What's your gut say?"

I don't listen to my "gut" LOL. So it never talks to me. In the end, though, it doesn't really matter. If it were failing they probably wouldn't still be planning more content for it. Personal feelings aside, it's obviously found an audience.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    So they've earned approx. $300,000,000 from the base game yet they complain about the cost and time it takes to make things in add ons?!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The Sims 2 only sold 6 million because most PC's couldn't handle it back in the day. That's why it sold 7 million on other platforms.
    It's also why EA released performance friendly version of the game: Life Stories & Pet Stories. They were actually quite popular and only $30.

---

SimGuruNinja seems to be referring only to the base game in his comment and confirmation in his reply,
    What? That isn't true. The Sims 2 actually ran better than the Sims 3 did. I didn't even have a new computer when I bought it and the Sims 2 ran extremely well. Might have been different for you, so I view that claim as opinion rather than fact. But yes, it was nice having a laptop version separate from the PC games. There is nothing wrong with Sims being on console either. I wish they had done that for the Sims 3 and 4 make laptop and desktop separate. Would have less complaints of performance and not having enough content that way. Both are two extremes to cater to only one type of computer and end up alienating customers. I wish people would remember that there wouldn't even be a Sims 4 if the Sims 1, 2, and 3 hadn't sold well. I think I'm with @luthienrising these iteration debates are becoming pointless bickering.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    :smiley: I was wondering who was going to ask @SimGuruNinja about it. Awesome it is confirmed now from the source. So congrats Maxis to the 5 million sales. Nice to know as a community the game sold that well regardless of the variety of opinions about the game. There is strength in numbers and nice to know that the Sims community is still going strong. I hope this means good things for the future then both in regards to patches and packs. I still expect more customers to be attracted to the game again. :) The game still has potential on pleasing its customers as a whole. So keep up the good work.

I don't see it as 'good', not for me at least. It likely means if you're not happy with the direction Sims 4 took, don't expect to be surprised. I don't see open world coming back, so I don't see anything to make me change my mind. EA seems satisfied with the way the game turned out, so I don't seem them dumping any more money into it. Like I've said before, I really like that art/creations I see, so I'm not just a 'hater'. So keep those screenies coming.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    TS2 platform games didn't come out in the first 2 years, did they? I don't remember.... I just bought them because they were different. :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The Sims 3 was front loaded and died quickly, which is probably one of the reasons why EA were going to try online.

It sold heaps in 2009, and the sold barely anything in the following 5 years. It sold about 6 - 7 million. EA said it sold 10 million on all platforms by 2014. Which even includes things like Mobile and Console.

The Sims 4 is at least selling 20 months on quite strongly, which gives the impression it may live on longer than 3 did.

Which is a shame because 3 could have been saved if EA fixed it. A non-hardcore fan wouldn't have understood the "fixes" for trapped Sims, or lost Cars etc that slow the game down.

EA didn't need to make an online game, they just needed to fix the game they had.
  • Options
    @Scobre wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

---

What? That isn't true. The Sims 2 actually ran better than the Sims 3 did. But yes, it was nice having a laptop version separate from the PC games. There is nothing wrong with Sims being on console either. I wish they had done that for the Sims 3 and 4. Would have less complaints of performance and not having enough content that way. Both are two extremes to cater to only one type of computer. I wish people would remember that there wouldn't even be a Sims 4 if the Sims 1, 2, and 3 hadn't sold well. I think I'm with @luthienrising these iteration debates are becoming pointless bickering.

In 2004, most people didn't have a strong PC. The Sims 2 does run really well, but only if you had the PC to run it. Most people in 2004 didn't have the type of video card to run The Sims 2. They were still standard up until 2009 or so.
    By 2007 or so, people caught up but by then The Sims 3 was coming out.

That's why EA pushed out Life Stories and Pet Stories. To use the processer instead of video card for lots of things.

I'm just saying The Sims 2 not being a huge hit was not due to it flopping it was due to the fact people just didn't have the PC for it.

The Sims 4 almost outselling The Sims 2 in 18 months is probably due to the opposite, lots of people can play it. Finally a Sims game where the entire audience can play it. And with the new lighting, it looks AMAZING on high, but can be played on a toaster if need be.