Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rebuilding Worlds

I was inspired by the recent post on the Von Haunt Estate to ask this question: what have you done with your Worlds? I always leave them as they come in the game, but I'm thinking I want to personalize them.

What have been your favorite reimagined/reconstructed lots?
pax_link.jpg?w=680

Comments

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I typically never play with maxis-pre-made anything (with the exception of a few Sims), so I normally swap out the pre-made houses for ones that others have built- or if I feel I have the patience and skill myself, will build my own lot.

I’ve gotten into the habit recently though, of keeping a few of the “shells” of maxis lots, and just gutting the insides. While I don’t really enjoy spending the time creating buildings, I do love to decorate.

On my phone at the moment, so I don’t have pictures, but my three favorite renovated lots in my game are:

Old Quarter In - It still remains a bar, but with more activities and a downstairs with a kitchen, which allows the lot to be changed from a bar to a restaurant.
    South Square Coffee - No longer a coffee shop, as I have a “plaza” with a cafe in the nearby neighborhood. I transformed this lot into a bowling alley (under the bar venue-type).
    Waterside Warble - This lot may be my favorite inside-renovation of all; the downstairs consists of a bar, “bubble-blowing” area, two private keraoke rooms and a public stage, and the upstairs has a lounge and a large bowling area.

I have another lot that I’m in the process of creating (the plaza I mentioned above), but it’s one that I built from the ground up. It replaces Hare And Hedgehog, and is going to be a multi-venue lot. The three buildings consist of a restaurant, cafe, and clothing store. Downstairs of the cafe is an arcade. Behind the buildings is a back-entrance to an underground nightclub and bowling alley.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    I have always built my own houses and community lots. Which is why most of the time I have less time for gameplay. It's sad, but satisfying at the same time. :P
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    I bulldoze everything, exterminate all residents, and completely rebuild/replace everything. I also get rid of the auto-generated townies every time I play. I have no use for prisoners.
  • Options
    maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    I haven't done much in my worlds. I've been slowly filling up Newcrest with builds of my own (I love building). I've redone nearly every apartment in San Myshuno and have really enjoyed it! Only the very large ones are left to be done.

A few venues have been redesigned. I would like to build my own from the ground up at some point, but for now remodeling what's already there entertains me. I've also turned the Old Salt House into a sort of "daycare" type thing, because I didn't want to clutter up my home lots with the gigantic toddler playground (yet still want to play with the gigantic toddler playground). I expect to have "playdates" there, except... I still have to meet (or create) some more toddlers for the world.
  • Options
    NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    I downloaded a blank save file which completely deleted everything I then use mc command centre to reduce townies culling drives me mad and slowly make my way building the town
    I have all my retail lots restaurants in newcrest and magnolia promenade and then it free's up the rest of the worlds i never use oasis springs purely because I hate the terrain.

• Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm redoing the whole game and hope to have of done by January. It seems a long time away, but really it isn't. I'm going bit by bit. And I play other saves too, so that's why it will take so long. Ideally it would be done before cats and dogs, but I don't foresee that happening. I will then use it as my base save for family play.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    I recently re-did all the worlds and added some sims I made in to them (as well as keeping the EA sims). I could never leave the Lots as-is because generally EA do not build them to my taste.

These, for example, are parts of my Oasis Springs:
    OS%20Expensive.jpg?dl=0

OS%20Mid%20Range.jpg?dl=0

I like to do homes in each district of each hood to 'match', so they are different in design but use the same exterior roof tiles, wallpaper etc.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I've done quite a bit of work on my worlds. I've about half of Willow Creek finished, two hoods in Oasis Springs, one hood in Windenburg, did a few community lots in Magnolia Promenade and San Myshuno. Oh, and two residential hoods in Newcrest. Although there are a couple of build styles I've used that I'm no longer satisfied with, so I'll probably replace those yet again.

I'll throw in some pictures.
    tumblr_ocxjt9B6Qv1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_obhkxvdmXz1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5mvxeCW9B1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_obc3jbDF2g1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o8d3altOvI1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6t6to4AZV1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6qwa49rkB1v8k7elo6_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6uy9fxVqx1v8k7elo5_1280.jpg
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,698 Member
    Once I decided to give up a lot of the cc (18th century clothing and hair, plus a couple of objects) and just allowed my ancestors to be in this time frame, I decided to turn Newcrest into the more industrialized part of my Sims' world. That made me free to demolish and replace the Strip Mall in Willow Creek to homes. I did place a Picnic Park made by Maxis next to the largest lot on that strip, but there are two houses I grabbed from the Gallery. Eventually, I'll build something for that larger lot. Now, I have to go through the other 'worlds' and remove the superfluous venues. I have not taken any pictures.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I pretty much keep the "downtown" areas of the worlds as is, sometimes replacing venues. For example, Magnolia Promenade is my entertainment district with a nightclub, bar and lounge, plus I'm thinking of moving one of my bowling alleys there. I was able to then replace the bar in Willow Creek with a restaurant. I haven't done much with Windenburg other than modify the gym there (added a basketball court) and replaced one of the cafes (the one on the docks) with a seafood restaurant.

Newcrest has some housing, plus a "downtown" district by the water -- I have my new Academy of Arts/Science (zoned Arts Center but I have a lot of science stuff too including telescope and rocket ship -- it's the place I can send my entire Sim household to work on skills and such. I also have Chez Llama (my formal restaurant with all the experimental recipes), two parks (a Family Play Park for toddlers and children and the Lost Gardens of Healing; I have the Romantic Vibe lot trait on the latter), and a yoga center.

San Myshuno -- I turned The Old Salt House into a lounge/bowling alley, and replaced the gym with a restaurant (Uptown Eats) that has all the City Living foods so my Sims can find them anytime instead of waiting for food carts to open.

When placing houses (mostly ones I've downloaded from the Gallery) I'll try to keep all the houses in a neighborhood the same style, or at least similar in price.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,698 Member
    @silljustme2, I have not touched Windenburg. But, I'm beginning to think I should fuss with Magnolia Promenade, next. Perhaps, I should make it restaurant row. Don't know I'm so very new to this. I used to fuss with the world in Sims3, making sure it had all the venues I desired before placing the family I wanted to play. That would take the entire day and I rarely had a chance to play until the next day. Now, if I get a little bored with game play, I'll take that moment to build/rearrange stuff. Renovate the house my Sims live in. Take a Sim into CAS and redo their wardrobe. We'll see. I'm getting a really late start today.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I've done quite a bit of work on my worlds. I've about half of Willow Creek finished, two hoods in Oasis Springs, one hood in Windenburg, did a few community lots in Magnolia Promenade and San Myshuno. Oh, and two residential hoods in Newcrest. Although there are a couple of build styles I've used that I'm no longer satisfied with, so I'll probably replace those yet again.

I'll throw in some pictures.
    tumblr_ocxjt9B6Qv1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_obhkxvdmXz1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o5mvxeCW9B1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_obc3jbDF2g1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o8d3altOvI1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6t6to4AZV1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6qwa49rkB1v8k7elo6_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6uy9fxVqx1v8k7elo5_1280.jpg

I love it! :)
  • Options
    lisken0221lisken0221 Posts: 116 Member
    Its part of the fun in my gaming to change all lots every time I start a new game. How ever I have all my businesses saved so I can
    easily exchange it all. I like downloading the sims homes anew from the exchange and fix them up decorate them my way.
  • Options
    GravitonyGravitony Posts: 4 New Member
    I used to build all my own houses. I liked to make them into uniqueshapes and sizes, but lately I go with pre made houses and just decorate them how I think each Sim would like them. I used to always have that one house in the neighborhood that was either weird or creepy and make sure the Sim living there was a total odd ball.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I redo the houses and put in new venues. I dont think every town needs the same things so one town has the clubs and restaurants another the spas and gym and so on.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited September 2017
    I renovate houses as needed but I don't do it that often. Most of my sims just move into a house that mostly suits them and then they adapt it a little bit to their needs. I have done things like adding second stories. I've expanded a kitchen. I don't take away outdoor space too often since most of the homes have rather small lots.

Each of the neighborhoods does have its own character. I have not changed Windenburg much at all. I do play it but the houses and everything are pretty much the same. Willow Creek has several restaurants added. There's L'Attente Bistro and the Italian restaurant that have been tucked into the neighborhoods as local spots.

I like the working class neighborhood there since it is where I started but it has been getting a little run down. I let Shelley, a criminal/vagrant sort, move in and live her ne'er-do-well life on the edge of town. Her house is a bit notorious. Near her, there's a house that still has all the chalk marks from a crime scene that haven't been cleaned up. I've left that as-is because it adds to the slightly scruffy vibe of that part of town. There are a couple of nice, clean cut families that live on that street including my original playable house for this game. They love their house and won't move but the neighborhood is complicated. There's still one blank lot there that I've left as-is for the time being.

There's a rich old money family that lives in one of the mansions. The original premades are all long dead in my rotation because I did not play rotationally when I started this game.

Oasis Springs has changed a lot. It has a yoga ashram that is run by a cult and the cult lives in the massive house at Yuma Heights. They've actually multiplied beyond that house and some of them live in a nice suburban house in WC. Eventually, most of the cult members may get run out of town but it has not happened yet. I don't play them that often but I must admit that they are hilarious both to play and to see around town. Some of them have the funniest expressions. I deliberately made them look like a cross between that nice family next door and something "off", spacey, or strange. Joaquin Le Chien fancies one of the women. "Erm, good luck with that, dude."

I recently got Fitness Stuff and I did tear down the old gym and build an admittedly awesome one. It's so nice that I almost don't need the gyms in other neighborhoods but I have not torn those down at this point. I've typically had sims visit the various different gyms but I will admit that I really like that one. There's also Oasis Springs Dust Bowl where the trailer used to be and a 24 hr diner in what was the blank lot. I've got a musician/hipster/boho family including YA Sofia Bjergsen in the Agave Abode. Wolfgang Munch used to live in the other old house around there but he recently moved to Raffia Quinta. Paolo and his wife live in the grassy suburb in OS too, altogether for now at least.

In Magnolia Promenade, it's all like the base game except that I added Chez Llama as the fanciest restaurant in town. Admittedly, I don't use the retail much but I might. I like to have that area as an upscale outdoor mall. My sims use all the restaurants in the game and some do splash out at Chez Llama.

Newcrest is all community lots right now. I don't have any residences there although there are a few blank lots with space so that could eventually happen as some of the kids in my game grow up and move out with inheritances. I have all kinds of stuff in Newcrest. There's a multi-purpose/non-cult spa that attracts a lot of yoga beginners or people wanting a relaxing day out. There's a small park and a cemetary. There's a modern colonial public library that I found in the gallery, both elegant and up-to-date. There's also a movie theatre/bowling alley with a bar; it is like a "funplex". There's a strip of businesses including Hogan's Burger Bar, a lounge and a night club. There's also The Diving Pelican as an upscale fish restaurant that is popular. I also have the Lost Gardens of Healing in there. Really, there's a lot and a few blank lots for a few more things. A few of the large lots might eventually have large houses as needed.

San Myshuno has not changed much in terms of lots though I've made over the Arts Quarter penthouse to be a large, posh place with an indoor pool in a glass room, it also has a beautiful art studio that I added.. I do play a lot of families in SM and it is thriving. To move in there now is more of a challenge because most of the affordable places are off the market. That's true in a lot of areas except maybe the Old Town of Windenburg which has some empty little houses for now. New YAs may end up heading there instead of SM for a while.

I look forward to seeing what Brindleton Bay will be like and what it can add to my game.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.