Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

this is getting annoying, about ready to just give up

just when i thought there was a little bit of hope with my game issues, it returns. my game is crashing, all i did was put in a stuff pack, and its back to crap. i only have 5 expansions plus base game and 1 stuff pack, my computer is a dell laptop and i have windows 7. ive tried almost everything, i must have uninstalled and reinstalled showtime at least 10 times to try and fix this issue. still no sign of a fix. if anyone can contact ea for me and let them know of this, that would be great. also my game makes my laptop crash completley, as in completley turn off. not sure if its the fact that the laptop is very hot or something else. please someone help, because if it messes up anymore, i might just have to completley get rid of sims 3, which i really dont feel like doing since sims has been part of my life since i was 9. :cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• Options
    Shadow2SoulShadow2Soul Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like your laptop is overheating. Make sure your using it on a hard flat surface. Do you have a cooling pad? If not you should invest in one (preferably with a fan). You can get cooling pads at Walmart or Target for around $20.

Another thing to consider is DEP, which some simmers have to set up with windows 7 to keep the game from crashing.
  • Options
    kaylinluvssimskaylinluvssims Posts: 186 New Member
    edited August 2012
    explain to me how exactly DEP works :(
  • Options
    MissSpiffeyMissSpiffey Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2012
    explain to me how exactly DEP works :(

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sims+3+DEP
    Gallery: #ItzSpiffy - I make custom NoCC Wall Art for the game using only my sim's camera and in-game scenery! I also love building modern mansions among other things.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i tried and i cant find the tab to let me add the game to the DEP list. nothing shows up. no radial button or anything :x
  • Options
    ilikecatsilikecats Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2012
    I have such a hard time deciphering any of this info. A DEP omg! lol I have issues with my story progression not shutting off and I have spent so much time reading lately. I thought maybe a DEP might help me, I also have windows 7 but that link is crazy-where do I start, have to be a programmer to play sims i think. I am thinking my issue has to do with windows 7 and the older versions of ts3 and the expansions--idk I have to guess cause no one has any answeres for me--so far.
    I have had issues with crashing since 1st sims and they seem to work themselves out ime good luck with yours hope it works for you soon
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    okay i found it, kinda worried its gonna make my laptop worse though *gulp* are you all sure this is safe?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    and im guessing i have to put all the expansion packs in too. thats gonna be a pain
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll post the steps with pictures. Just give me a few minutes to create them.

Its completely safe. Data Execution Prevention is supposed to help stop anything that looks like a virus from running. Thus protecting your computer.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    well i put them into DEP,game and expansions and such, and still it loads like a turtle..... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    :D so far its working again! thanks so much for the help guys, ill keep you all posted on how it goes :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    only question my game still loads and saves kinda slow. does DEP also fix this or is it just slow?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    well it doesn't help slow loading times. It just helps prevent windows from shutting the game down (game crashing).

Slow loading times can have numerous reasons:

Are you using any CC (not store content)?
    Are you using any mods?

Could you post your computers dxdiag?
  • Options
    mollymegan82mollymegan82 Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2012
    I'll post the steps with pictures. Just give me a few minutes to create them.

r u still doing this? cause it would help me too?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Steps for DEP for windows 7:

1)Go to Start and click computer
    27wx64o.jpg
    2)click system properties
    2cnk135.jpg
    3)click Advanced System Settings
    synq89.jpg
    4)Click Settings under Performance
    qskwpg.jpg
    5)Click Data Execution Prevention tab
    mhq81t.jpg
    6)Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:
    3524x87.jpg
    7)Click Add
    35imyxe.jpg
    8)32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
    64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
    1zof14h.jpg
    9)find TS3W.exe and click open
    29yf60.jpg
    10) repeat 7-9 for all expansions and stuff packs
    11)click apply when done
    12)restart pc for changes to take effect
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i did all that you guys told me and it was working fine, then all the sudden it shuts down again! this is really getting fustrating! i did all this work and it still crashes! i give up!!! :'(
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Update: it seems to crash mainly due to heat. i also found out i have an intel HD graphics card (NOOOOOOOOOO!) is there anyway to still play it without harming the graphics? the graphics seem fine, its just the fact that the game loves to crash when the laptop gets to the point of burning my legs. :shock:
  • Options
    SamerTimSamerTim Posts: 899
    edited August 2012
    Then maybe it is crashing because it is overheating. Try playing the game in windowed mode and moniter your computer's temperature with this:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edit: didnt see your new post^
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    someone please help! i dont want my graphics card or laptop harmed. could use some help ASAP.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You could try lowering your graphics settings in game to low~mid and see how that works out. Or uninstall ep's/sp's u barely use and reduce cc (if u use)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    SamerTim wrote:
    Then maybe it is crashing because it is overheating. Try playing the game in windowed mode and moniter your computer's temperature with this:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edit: didnt see your new post^
    what i'm mainly worried about is because of the graphics card. btw im playing with the fan uncovered at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    and now i have the game in a smaller screen. hate it.. way too choppy looking, and i forgot what i had before :'(
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    SamerTim wrote:
    You could try lowering your graphics settings in game to low~mid and see how that works out. Or uninstall ep's/sp's u barely use and reduce cc (if u use)
    i did, now the low graphics make the game seem very unrealistic and boring XD. and i love all my EP's and SP's and have no CC. it says my graphics are an intel hd ic3 or something like that
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    and now i have the game in a smaller screen. hate it.. way too choppy looking, and i forgot what i had before :'(
    sorry but thats the only way to play without overheating (damaging) your computer. But you could save up for a new computer (desktops are better than laptops) and play normally again :D I know it sucks but I have the same problem too, and it reallyyy sucks not being able to play :x
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    the only thing was this game was fine with the graphics card and such until just recently . its so fustrating!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    screens gone extremley bright. ***?! and my sims game now keeps going black screen, really bright, black screen, still bright.. HELP!! WHAT IS GOING ON?!