Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GraphicsRules Modification Makes No Difference After Generations/Patch

A while back when news broke out that EA programmed Late Night to demand an unnecessary arm and a leg from our PC's to stock clubs with more Sims, Neverent, a simmer here on these forums, found a way to beat that system.

The way to do it was to find the GraphicsRules.sgr file and modify it with just a switch of some numbers in a specific way. When all was done, your game was to believe that suddenly your CPU was a 4 out of 4 instead of a 1, 2 or 3 out of 4. Thus, giving you more Sims per club.

Basically, the game rates all your specs and some of the unlucky Simmers like myself got a 1 for my CPU rating, even though my processor is certainly far beyond requirements.

Neverent's guide was a way to overcome this silly limit. It worked even through OLS, but now with Generations, after I modified the GraphicsRules, it still has not changed my CPU: 1 to a CPU: 4. I'm wondering if EA saw us doing this and changed it so that we can't fiddle with their coding.

I'm going to be very disapointed if I cannot get this rating to change. I will NOT go back to empty clubs, when I've seen full clubs after modifying a simple file.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as myself! It's the only thing holding me back from playing Generations.

Comments

• Options
    KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2011
    Come on people! There's gotta be somebody who noticed this. I can't be the only one who alter's the GraphicsRules file to allow more CPU usage during gameplay.
  • Options
    8NiSci88NiSci8 Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited June 2011
    I was wondering the same thing today. I don't have Generations yet, but I had to change the rules again after the latest update.

The only help I can give is an educated guess: Have you tried altering the Graphics Rules file in the Generations folder instead of the Late Night one? I would think that the most recent set is the one that needs to be changed as a quick look informed me that the older expansion packs each had their own Graphics Rule documents that I never changed. Let me know if this works.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    8NiSci8 wrote:
    I was wondering the same thing today. I don't have Generations yet, but I had to change the rules again after the latest update.

The only help I can give is an educated guess: Have you tried altering the Graphics Rules file in the Generations folder instead of the Late Night one? I would think that the most recent set is the one that needs to be changed as a quick look informed me that the older expansion packs each had their own Graphics Rule documents that I never changed. Let me know if this works.

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, I had moved on from Late Night to Outdoor Living Stuff. I did the same alteration to the OLS GraphicsRules. It worked fine. But even when I switched in the original, ran the game & quit, then installed Generations and the patch, the Generations GraphicsRules does not change the DeviceConfig after being altered. I'm wondering if I should try altering the GraphicsRules found in the base game folder.
  • Options
    8NiSci88NiSci8 Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm... that's disappointing. Hopefully Neverent will be able to find a solution and update his tutorial (I saw that you left him a comment). Good luck!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Generations changed how the game reads files. You need to edit the Base Game one instead now. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CuddlyBun wrote:
    Generations changed how the game reads files. You need to edit the Base Game one instead now. :)

Oh my God THANK YOU. Are you absolutely sure?

Just to clarify, should I put the original Generations GraphicsRules.sgr back in, and only alter the Base Game GR.sgr?
  • Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Kolby wrote:
    CuddlyBun wrote:

Oh my God THANK YOU. Are you absolutely sure?

Just to clarify, should I put the original Generations GraphicsRules.sgr back in, and only alter the Base Game GR.sgr?
    Yeah. I don't know why EA did this, but they did.
  • Options
    Keyona121PKeyona121P Posts: 122 Member
    edited June 2011
    I will try this out right now!
  • Options
    cartman78cartman78 Posts: 233
    edited October 2011
    I tried making this change by altering the file in the Base Game Folder, now my game crashes each time I try to load it

Could altering the GraphicsRules.sgr file be causing this?