The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good Graphic cards?

Hi! Im looking to replace my current laptop with one that has a removable graphics card. The reason being that while my laptop runs the sims 3 fine right now, i want to be able to just update it not replace when the sims 3 gets to the point that my current one wont run it.

I'm looking for suggestions on what i should be looking for in a laptop, for example what kind of graphics card? do processors matter?
so i now how much money i have to save. For a really good laptop with a removable card i have no problem spending over $2,000 as long as its something that will last, obviously id preffer not to spend that much but for quality i will.

Sims is the one game that i continually play its my fun, relaxing, stress free game. Plus who doesnt like playing god? :D
Thanks for Any help you can give!
Invisibleaes

Comments

• Options
    chitbillchitbill Posts: 2,017 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi! Im looking to replace my current laptop with one that has a removable graphics card. The reason being that while my laptop runs the sims 3 fine right now, i want to be able to just update it not replace when the sims 3 gets to the point that my current one wont run it.

I'm looking for suggestions on what i should be looking for in a laptop, for example what kind of graphics card? do processors matter?
    so i now how much money i have to save. For a really good laptop with a removable card i have no problem spending over $2,000 as long as its something that will last, obviously id preffer not to spend that much but for quality i will.

Sims is the one game that i continually play its my fun, relaxing, stress free game. Plus who doesnt like playing god? :D
    Thanks for Any help you can give!
    Invisibleaes

If you Must have a laptop, and you Must play sims on it,
    and if (add some if's and stuff),
    The computer
    "DELL Alienware M17x" looks nice for people with 2000 and not much else to spend it on.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited May 2011
    As for graphics cards, I have a ATI Radeon HD 5750 and it works great. I'm able to play the sims 3 with everything maxed.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited May 2011
    The one I have on my PC is a Geforce 9800GT. It has 3GB ram. It's about four years old but runs everything well on high settings, including my brother's Crysis 2. I think you can get one for around $75-100 now.

My laptop has the same card in an 8900GT (also 3 gig of ram). It also gives great performance. It will run TS3 on the highest settings, however large lots take a few seconds for the graphics to fully load (this is only in Bridgeport, in other neighborhoods no loading delay).

Either of these would work well for most TS3 players. No need to go overboard on graphics card.

However, for a laptop, make sure you get one with a good fan as they tend to overheat. Also, play on a surface where tha laptop can "breath," not on a soft surface like a bed or table cloth. The best bet is to get a fan for your laptop. Also, cheap laptops may run the game, but they are more likely to overheat. Get a laptop made for gaming. Mine is a hp dv 7 quad core (over $2000 when I bought it. You may be able to get one for less now). I had a few issues with it until they replaced the cooling system in it a year and a half ago and it's been perfect ever since.

You may want to look for a gaming laptop (e.g. alienware) that was made a couple years ago. It will still run sims 3 well, but won't be as expensive as a brand new one and will have all the proper fans for gaming.
  • Options
    chitbillchitbill Posts: 2,017 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I hope you post what you finally do get.
    The alienware one I mentioned above has several choices for video. It's very unusual for a laptop to have a removable card,and ATI is working (was working) on a graphics subsystem you'd just plug into the laptop using a special connector, but I get the feeling it never went very far.
    You can use your own deductive logic: If Dell is saying you have a choice of video, you can either believe they actually put in a card, or they just put in a motherboard that includes a video-chip. And once the laptop is assembled, it might not be easy to upgrade.
    If it is at all possible, get a nice desktop and keep your laptop for non-gaming purposes. A desktop and a really nice Ipad are less than a nice $2000 laptop. Plus, Sims is not a very good benchmark.