Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear Sims Team: For better Emotion System, link them to memories

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,457 Member
The emotions system of the Sims 4 is much-maligned for being 1. volatile 2. having little impact and consequence and 3. overriding sims' personalities. See Youtuber Asmara describe with receipts and analysis (timestamp: 17:40*)

In the Sims 4, emotions take up a dominant section of the UI with a lot of "telling" of what emotions are being experienced.

sZwRomu.png

Keep in mind all of the previous Sims games (Sims 1, 2, and 3) had emotions, but didn't need a dedicated system for them. To improve the emotions for Project Rene/Sims 5 I propose the linking of memories with emotions.

Sims 2 had a record-keeping of memory tokens shown below. They were merely good or bad, shown visually as green or red:

O17jgQM.png

The Sims 5 can push this further and have memory tokens like this, but each memory would have a dedicated emotion. Promotion memory? Confident. First kiss? Flirty. Caught spouse cheating? Angry. Parent died? Sad.

As Sims think and express that memory, that emotion is felt. Just like memories in the Sims 2, they have a starting strength and then decay over time. Emotions being tied to this will help fix the problem of them overriding and acting volatile in the Sims 4. Eventually, they decay as the memory fades.

This intuitively makes sense. As the memory is just created, the emotion is STRONG and hot. The memory is as its maximum value. As it decays, so does the emotion.

Thoughts?

*Asmara video
https://youtu.be/aSyeb5RnWXg?si=F_q-ayGGQ07qhGqM&t=1060
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I agree with OP. In ts2 you didn't need a pic to show how your sim was feeling, his/her behavior told the full story. If a sim were angry with another sim for something that happened between them (even if you were playing a different household and were on a community lot where the angry sim experienced the thing that made him/her angry {I loved that!}) The emotion continued when you went back to play the angry sim. You had to work with the sim to get him/her over the experience, it was great! It gave you something to work on. Geese, that game was the best!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8