Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Packs Ranking

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited January 10
    There are a few of these that I am just getting acquainted with from the recent sale and others that I've had a while. It's not a strict ranking.

I have not yet gotten into Horse Ranch or For Rent though I plan to so I won't rank those. Too new in my game. I love horses though so thanks.

I play with these a lot:
    1. Cats and Dogs - I love the world of Brindleton Bay, play with the animals and enjoy a lot about it. I actually don't have complaints for this pack, just buy the vet's wellness treats and keep a stash of them in pet owners' inventories.
    2. City Living - I'm actually going to upvote this one because I think it was released around when I started playing TS4. I've played with it a lot and my game wouldn't be the same without it. I have used the apartments a lot as starter homes or for various city residents who would not live anywhere else.
    3. Growing Together - Make lifespans more interesting to play and more replayable. My game is centered around some different families with different styles and this type of playstyle works for that a lot.
    4. Seasons - Everyone loves seasons.
    5. Cottage Living - A British world, what's not to love?
    6. Island Living - Sulani ... enough said.
    7. Snowy Escape - I actually love this and I'm still exploring this pack. For me, it's very replayable, actually. I mainly use it as a vacation world but will probably explore the residential side.
    8. Get Together for the world and features which I use all the time. The CAS/BB is mostly not my style at all though so I'm excluding that from the rank. I really play with Windenburg and a mash up of the Get Together and City Living townies were part of the start of my rotation back when I started playing with TS4. I do honestly have some Euro-partying sims who came from or live in Windenburg. Some of them grow up.
    9. Discover University - I actually do play with this and I understand how to use it rotationally so that I can have students with excellent grades and just switch during the semester transition. I figured it out but I can see how it can be confusing for rotational play. I like to have largely nerdy high achiever sims who are stars of the class and excel. I don't ever play slacker students, so the playstyle works well for me. I usually have them take only 3 classes at a time and I make sure that they have a weekend so they have enough time to "have a life" at the university. I still actually do like this EP. I send my student sims around the campus all the time to take part in different experiences. A lot of them eat at the commons while studying but that also changes as they go through school.
    10. High School Years - This actually isn't a low ranking for me because I'm still playing with it. I get the complaints about so much prom which I think can be deleted from the calendar. When you try playing a bunch of high school students like I did recently, it's a lot of fun though. I just consider the prom to be a school dance. Sometimes I send them and sometimes I skip it. It has added more teen drama for my sims. Copperdale is also an interesting world. I have played with the carnival. I have not customized the high school that much yet so mine is still pretty generic but maybe that will change. I can see why some people are looking for more delinquent shenanigans. I think there's very much the opportunity to play that type of character but it does make sense that the majority of students are going to class. It would be nice to easily send a bunch of students from my rotation at once who are not in the same household. I have a few of them that do show up but it'd be nice to select the list as the player in order to run into more of my own sims.
    11. Get Famous - I actually love the actors so this isn't a low rank. Del Sol Valley could have had some more lots. I know we can make apartments there now, but still, more lots would be nice. I do play with some actors. I am mostly positive about this pack. When I want to play with fame, it is fun. I don't mind having celebrities around.
    12. Eco Lifestyle - I do play with Evergreen Harbor and I play with some of the pre-mades. Some of the gameplay is not for me. I know some players love a trash world, lol. I like to make things beautiful. I do appreciate the green world. I have recently been playing a sim who is an Eco-Tech Scientist in my rotation so I am learning more about the pack. I also like the crafting skills.
    13. Get To Work - I do play with the playable careers, especially the doctors. I have also played with the detectives and had some stories spring out of that. The CAS is pretty dated because this was an old EP. About the aliens, I think they learned about occults from this. Occults tend to do better in their own packs with their fanbase where they are fully developed. I delete aliens and I avoid male alien pregnancy, sorry. I do see that it is funny though.

I don't really dislike any EPs. I obviously have comments on a few areas of improvement but I honestly have fun with these.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 900 Member
    I don't own these Expansion Packs, even though I really do want them. 1.) Horse Ranch, 2.) For Rent, 3.) Growing Together. They are in the rank of which order I plan to buy them in when I am able.
    1.) Seasons.
    2.) Cats and Dogs. I still prefer the Sims 2 and Sims 3 version the most, and they cut out a lot of stuff like jobs for pets, but I can't imagine a Sim without a pet.
    3.) Snowy Escape. Not a fan of the skiing that you can't play, but I do like the idea of another world in the game.
    4.) Island Living. I like the world, and that Mermaids were included.
    5.) City Living.
    6) Get Famous.
    7.) Get Together.
    8.) High School Years
    9.) Cottage Living
    10.) Eco Lifestyle
    11.) Discover University.
    I do like the Expansion packs for different reasons. I ranked Discover University low, because of how long it takes for a Sim to get through College.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,854 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    Very interesting to see everyone's list. Seasons and Cottage Living seem to be the most liked and the rest are very random. I also see Growing Together, Cats & Dogs at either Top or Bottom.
    @AlanSims
    seems like you either like or don't like taking care of either babies or dogs/cats. lol

I wanted to make a similar poll ranking ep's difficulty level but the this came out.

I find myself always going back to cottage living because there's so much to do there at home, home is stuff with gameplay. It's like working from home. The ironic part is we are using the computer to have a farm. And many of us never experienced such a life.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,212 Member
    Just like in the corresponding GP thread, here comes my entirely subjective ranking of the EPs. If I were to rank these packs objectively (assigning more priority to things like novelty, uniqueness, bugs, and overall playability), the list would look a little different. But I decided to focus on my personal preferences and how much I need each pack for my gameplay. There is one EP I don't own and can't rate (but not because I don't own it). I'll explain at the end of the list.

14. City Living
    Apartments that we can't build ourselves, festivals that can't be edited, Asian names for everyone regardless of ethnicity, too much focus on the world with no gameplay elsewhere. Can't understand the hype around this one.

13. Get Together
    An uninspired stew of features that don't fit anywhere else. Club system annoyingly underdeveloped for being the only real gameplay feature. Tries to use big world to compensate for lack of depth.

12. Island Living
    Like City Living, too much focus on the world, nothing to do outside of it. At least it's pretty.

11. Cats & Dogs
    All style, no substance. Could spend all day mixing breeds and dressing pets in CAS, but gameplay is very lacking. Cats especially can't do anything.

10. Discover University
    Extremely repetitive and grindy, no fun at all for rotational players like me who don't like being stuck with one household for weeks just because sims will fail university otherwise.

09. Get Famous
    One of the best packs when it comes to gameplay over looks, and becoming a celebrity is a challenging task for once. It's just that I don't care much about celebrities both in real life and in the game.

08. Horse Ranch
    Cool because I like horses, but offers very little for its price. Making a full-blown EP just about horses, but with rabbit hole competitions and no real unicorns, no idea know whose stupid idea that was. Would rank a lot higher if combined with Cats & Dogs, or as a standalone GP.

07. Get To Work
    Unpopular opinion, but I really like this one. The active careers are fun and I wish we had more of them. A shame Sixam isn't residential, would have preferred a bigger alien world over the bad joke that is Magnolia Promenade.

06. High School Years
    Basically Get To Work for teenagers. Finally, something to make that lifestage more unique and compelling. Yes, it's repetitive, but so is everything in this game (not to mention school in real life).

05. Eco Lifestyle
    Much better than its first impression once you learn how to handle the annoying aspects. Don't like Evergreen Harbor, but unlike some other packs on this list, this one doesn't force me to live in its world to make use of its features.

04. Snowy Escape
    Another pack with too much focus on its world, but in this case I'm biased because I love the world and its activities, so it gets a pass from me.

03. For Rent
    What City Living should have been. Finally a pack that lets us build apartments and play as the landlord. That's all I wanted, I barely care or even know about the pack's other features.

02. Cottage Living
    Love everything about this pack, but especially the farm animals and the very realistic Simple Living lot trait. As much as I try, I can't think of anything to dislike.

01. Seasons
    The sim world just doesn't feel real or complete without it.

Unable to rate: Growing Together
    Creating an EP out of so many features that should have been base game makes this the rudest cash grab ever. Love the features, hate that they're hidden behind a paywall, so I can't rate this one fairly against the others.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,021 Member
    edited January 12
    1. Get together; love the town, club system, new lot types, activities, wall patterns, etc. Just an overall good and useful pack

2. Growing together; I love all the likes and dislikes. The things that infants learn are great in this pack, so lifelike. I’m glad they added biking for children and the treehouse. I wish the theatre had not been a rabbit hole. I did like that they added one new lot type ( though movie theatre should have been another one ). I thought the world was nice, but small, and had no new collectibles, no beach, and no ocean swimming.

3. Get to work: I loved the 3 active careers with work places, was hoping we would get a lot more of them in later packs. Also, I wouldn’t want to be without being able to make a retail store, but it does need a refresh badly, and with the refresh we should get a simple clothing trait to match simple living, Retail should be set up like Dine out, where we don’t have to own a store to set it up to buy from. Magnolia promenade was too small, and we should have had a few buildable lots on Sixam.

5. Cottage living: Another beautiful ( and very rural ) world. My farmers couldn’t be farmers without this pack. And it’s packed with activities besides the animals, like emboiderry and canning. I would have preferred a real country fair though rather than just contests. The simple living trait was much needed. A very well done, and full pack.

5. Island living: Such a beautiful world, and it gave us Ocean swimming. It’s so useful for vacations. I like that there is digging for Island treasures, collecting shells, doing odd jobs, the fish traps. I liked the part time jobs ( but would have preferred them active ), and I like the active full time job. Festivals should have been announced though and included on the calendar. I like that we can use so much stuff outside of Island living, like suntanning, sand castle building, swimming in other worlds after, cute swimsuits, pool/water floats, lounge chairs, towels to suntan on, the boat and the jet skii, and new plants. Another over all good pack. Oh, and I forgot, mermaids are in this pack as well.

6. City living: I like that our sims had apartments to live in, and several of them. It still has the best festivals, though the yard sale/swap meet should draw from all packs we own randomly ( but at a reduced price ). More lots should have had balconies. And we should have had more lots we could use for non residential, cities normally have lots of shopping ( even if there were just several smaller lots for that in the pack ). It also snows too much in city living….

7. Horse Ranch: I love the old west type world and the horses in the pack. I also like the goats and sheep, but would rather had dye instead of different colored sheep. I like that we could have side jobs. I like that the pack included wine making, mucking horse stalls, and reaping grass/hay for animals, finding collectibles and wine bottles while doing it was a nice touch. Competitions shouldn’t have been rabbit holes though. The pack should have included either jewelry making or basket weaving since it was based around Native Americans. The pack should have been better integrated with cats and dogs so that horses could visit the vet clinic if we wanted them to ( though not be overtly sick ), maybe the machine from cats and dogs could have included som e horse vitamins or treats too, though letting us feed them apples was a nice touch. Toddlers should have had a rocking horse. I thought horses themselves were done really well, and we got a lot of nice varieties.

8. Cats and Dogs: The world was nice and large. I love that we could take dogs on nice long walks and hunting for things and that cats could collect feathers. I like the way they tied the pee bush in with animals, but, dogs get sprayed by skunks way too much… lol. And there are sick animals all over the world. Only owned animals ( in or out of world ) should have gotten sick, not stray pets that you couldn’t take to the vet clinic. I missed being able to make a pet store where you could buy cats and dogs ( make them on the spot ). They should have added a dog house. Contrary to popular opinion, I didn’t mind getting my first pet stuff separately. I happen to like the rodent pack a lot, and didn’t mind getting extra furniture to match the children’s furniture in cats and dogs, and extra pet beds and clothes. I would love to get some more packs with more small animals.

9. Get famous: I like the active acting career, and the new lots. I’m very disappointed in the amount of lots we got though, and that we got no beach lots. This pack should have come after island living, and we should have had useable beach lots, and more downtown lots. And why didn’t we get an actual modeling and singing career as well?

10. High School years: I like being able to follow my sims to school when I want, and the pack is compatible with rotational play. I loved all the bedroom furniture, and the two part time jobs, also foitball, and cheerleading. I like the Boba shop, but don’t care for the premade clothing sets that you can buy there,( why didn’t they let us make our own presets?) and that we can’t even view them before buying. I would have liked trendy if we could see what the sets looked like in our inventory and if we could have drawn from all the clothing in our packs ( like we can do for retail clothing ). I feel like trendy and buying from the shop was either not thought out well, or they didn’t have time to finish it. Why couldn’t we build schools and auditoriums in other worlds? Why didn’t we have a larger world? Why couldn’t we pick our sims classmates? I feel like they rushed the pack out. The concepts were all so good, but half baked….

11. Eco lifestyle: I like the hobbies, the apartments ( though we should have had top and bottom apartments with a little yard on the bottom, and balconies on top ). I liked the idea of container living, and being able to live off the grid properly. I love the dumpsters and the lot traits. And I like the solar power, dew collectors, generators, etc. ( though I still don’t know how to use all of them… lol). Some NAP’s I like and a couple I hate ). It was awhile before we could enable only our sims voting for them ( or at least me knowing we could do that ). I am glad we can cheat them out. I love the double planter that takes up only one spot. I also love the new lot type the pack came with. The world is too small, and not real appealing to me though. Maybe when For Rent gets fixed I will build some apartments for the town.

12. Snowy escape: I love the winter clothing. I like the skiing, snow boarding, sledding, and mountain climbing. But I was very disappointed those things weren’t made into a winter sports lot or activies we could put in any world we want to use with seasons when it snows. Such a big missed opportunity to me. I would have loved to make my own snow resort in some of the bigger worlds where it snows a lot. Again, maybe when they fix being able to change the lot type back from residential Rental ( a big bug in for Rent ), I will put a rental there.

13. Season: NO WORLD. To me it’s not an expansion pack without a world. It also snows and rains too much for me in some worlds. I wish we could set the frequency, for snow, rain, blizzards, thunderstorms, and heat waves for each world. I did like the new plants, the flower arrangement maker, the beehives, some of the other build buy items and clothing. Another add on to seasons should be a weather channel on tv and computers so we can check weekly weather for each world from our home, so we can plan events and vacations accordingly. If we get newspapers, we should be able to to check the daily weather for each world.

14. Discover University: the main world is too small, and the lots there are too small. University doesn’t work well for rotational play, and quite frankly university is too boring. I remember having much more fun in college than my sims do. I don’t like that you have to enroll each semester, and I found it a bit hard to figure out what my sims did and didn’t need to do to influence grades the most. Playing 2 sims from the same house in two separate universities was torture…… lol. The poor Pleasants…. lol.

15. For Rent: . It’s unplayable for me until they fix being able to switch lot types, and the amount that it says sims have to pay ( billions is a bit too much ). I also heard that property owners can’t keep people out of their homes. Tomorang is a pretty world, bu too small, and using my practice save it was very boring. No new water activities for all that water, not even a little boat. And, no new tuk tuk transpiration. And everything there is a rabbit hole except for the night market which seems empty, and there is very little to do there. I would have loved to see a real animal sanctuary with tigers and elephants that you could at least look at from afar and received buffs from, spend the day there and ordered food and shop to purchase stuffed animals, tee shirts, sweat shirts, and toys. You can’t even look at the flowers at the botanical garden. Would have been nice to do that and receive buffs from it. I do like the hopscotch, the marbles, and the other collectible. I like the CAS very much, and I like the build buy. I’m sure that once they fix the major problems in For Rent I will start to enjoy it and it will move up on my list, but for now it comes in last, I don’t want to corrupt my main saves.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,185 Member
    Ive got all the EPs too, so I'll group them as well.

I will offer you my first born:
    1.) Get Famous.
    2.) Snowy Escape.

I love you, but not at full price:
    3.) For Rent.
    4.) Island Living.
    5.) High School Years.
    6.) City Living.

Meh. You're there I guess.
    7.) Seasons
    8.) Discover University
    9.) Get Together
    10.) Cottage Living

Your presence or lack there of honestly makes no difference.
    11.) Horse Ranch
    12.) Cats and Dogs
    13.) Eco Lifestyle
    14.) Growing Together
    15.) Get To Work
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,426 Member
    1. Seasons
    2. Cats & Dogs
    3. Horse Ranch
    4. Cottage Living
    5. Get Together
    6. City Living
    7. Growing Together
    8. Island Living
    9. Get to Work
    10. Get Famous
    11. Eco Lifestyle
    12. Snowy Escape
    13. Highschool Years
    14. Discover University
    15. For Rent
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited January 12
    Oh, this is gonna be insanely hard, but ima give it a try :D

1. Seasons. I could never play without it, plus the Seasons release really pulled me back into the franchise after a long time of no play. The promotional sims were also my legacy founders, so I have a real soft spot for them <3
    2. City Living. San Myshuno is my absolute favourite world and I absolutely love the aesthetic and city vibes. I’d never been so excited for DLC before when this came out!
    3. Snowy Escape. It’s a very hard choice between this and Cottage Living for third and I’d tie them if I could, but the hype and excitement I felt for Snowy Escape only juuuust nudges it up a rank.
    4. Cottage Living.
    5. For Rent.
    6. Growing Together.
    7. Island Living.
    8. Get Famous.
    9. Eco Living.
    10. Horse Ranch.
    11. Cats and Dogs.
    12. High School Years.
    13. Get Together.
    14. Discover University.
    15. Get To Work. Controversial placing it at the very bottom, but I’ve honestly never used any of the content for it. The careers aren’t ones I’m particularly interested in, but Magnolia Promenade is I think the only part of this pack I’ve checked out.

edit: missed Get Together :D
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 138 Member
    edited January 12
    Here we go!

1. Seasons. Not difficult to be the best cause it's such a base game addition, essential for many of us. Holidays are nice too. Very inmersive and we got what we asked

2. Get to Work. This pack is one of my favourites cause it's really focused on GAMEPLAY, the careers are fun and the retail system is not the best but it's good, aliens are needed in this franchise so another point for this first and amazing pack. (I really like to get my sims out of their houses)

3. Cats & Dogs. Another not difficult to be high, pets are always welcome even if there's no birds or reptiles or rodents... They look cute enough and always bring life to the household, animations are well done and the vet career is a nice addition

4. High School Years. Wow, controversial right? Well, I gotta admit I use some mods for fix things on this but this really gives life to teens, besides... 21 days are too long without this pack... Prom, slow dance, photoboob, graduation, american football, acne, high school itself.. gives me a lot 2000s vibes. Plus, the music in this is amazing. Trendi and Social Bunny are a NO.

5. Get Together. This suffers the base game syndrome like Seasons.. it adds interesting things that are screaming base game, at first I though it was some kind of Late Night/Nightlife but it doesn't catch them, it's fine. Foosball, dards, dj, club, dacing. Good paired with some others packs.

6. Discover University. It's just fine, I mean... it adds some challenge cause University can be hard, organissations are fine.. Everything is fine, just that, nothing impressed me. It's in here cause it's necessary, well it adds roommates so thats again fine.

7. Get Famous. Celebrities are well done and the actor career it's fun too but I have a big gripe with this pack. Paparazzis... PAPARAZZIS. They ruin every lot. I like my game to be ''organic'' and celebitries are so forced. (And I really like surprises and events)

8. Growing Together. This packs seems more promising than it really is, many things are just UI additons, I thought it would be a must-have but it's really not, it looks like a base game update for 40 $. Changing tables behind a paywall? That's personal

9. Eco Lifestyle. This pack surprised me cause it's actually fun, it can be kind of niche but it can affects global gameplay so that's always welcome. N.A.P.S. are a mess

10. Cottage Living. Not sure about this, It was so requested but I'm not really into it, I think it's not bad just kind of niche

11. City Living. I really loved this pack until I noticed it's just atrezzo, the only thing I like about this is lot challenges. Apartaments are just dissapointing.

12. For Rent. I don't own this pack, Apartments 2.0 BUT with loading screens, so they are like 1.5. Nothing more to say, children activities seems nice, secrets are just bad, oh and the 3000 rabbits holes.

13. Island Living. The first should have been a gamepack. It would have been justified by having an underwater lot but nay. I don't get how is this different from Outdoor Retreat or Jungle Adventure, it's just a good looking world for living or for vacation. And mermaids? Let's not talk about mermaids.

14. Snowy Escape. The second should have been a gamepack, now it's not hot, it's cold. Wow, seems like reversed Island Living. We got three destinations in Bon Voyage and the 3 of them has a EP/GP in TS4 (IL, SE and OR) and still no hotels, funny.

15. Horse Ranch. The most impertinent game pack sold for 40 $, how you dared? I really like Western style and Horse are well done but this is just so obvious.

13 and 14 can be switched.
  • Options
    HomeMamaHomeMama Posts: 484 Member
    edited January 12
    Worlds/Packs/Gameplay I can't live without in my game:
    1. Cottage Living-I garden all the time, no matter what world I'm in...but also one of my favorite world's to live in. Ordering groceries-always!
    2. Seasons-the calendar is integrated into everyday life for my sims, and I wish they'd add more options with every pack like they do with clubs.
    3. Growing Together-Milestones are everything! (I'm becoming more of a family player and less of a builder because of this pack!)
    4. Get Together-love the world, but mostly my gameplay includes clubs for daily life.
    5. City Living-love the events, love the apartments, love the contrast of country/city life that's in my game
    6. High School Years-I really enjoy taking my teens to high school, but I don't always have teens

Worlds/Build Stuff Must haves that don't make the cut for gameplay:
    7. Island Living-I adore this world and travel there often
    8. Cats and Dogs-One of my favorite worlds to live in, also love the animals, but often forget to add them to the family
    9. Horse Ranch-love the old west style world and horses, but it doesn't integrate well and so I only use it for specialty game play
    10. Snowy Escape-the world is just so beautiful and different. I love the walking trails too. I just forget with the everyday play.

And all the rest:
    11. Get to Work-I love the doctor career and fishing in Magnolia Promenade. That's it. I could do without it.
    12. For Rent-highly disappointed with this pack, but I'm looking forward to playing more than one family on a lot. Maybe it'll go up in time.
    13. Get Famous-surprisingly love the career. It brings variety. But could care less about getting famous. Like the driveways.
    14. Discover University-Meh. Nice when I'm playing. Forget when I'm not.
    15. Eco Lifestyle-wish I could turn the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing off and keep the world and build mode stuff. I HATE the neighborhood voting options.